The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Well it happens I wrote an important post in the Quick Question Thread, related to classical music. Sorry, in advance for posting a link here!

As I am not a fan of the Organ (the instrument), I actually deprives myself of hearing number and number of organ works wrote by J.S. Bach.

This little compilation of 10 works arranged for piano (most of them by Kempff) shows a very inventive Bach.

Listen carefully, in some fugues, there are 3 voices that are playing together. It always amazed me, because at the piano, you don't have the feet for the base like for the organ, so you have only two hands and 10 fingers to play 3 distinct voices!

On 1/2/2021 at 8:23 AM, Bespin said:

As I am not a fan of the Organ (the instrument), I actually deprives myself of hearing number and number of organ works wrote by J.S. Bach.

This little compilation of 10 works arranged for piano (most of them by Kempff) shows a very inventive Bach.

Listen carefully, in some fugues, there are 3 voices that are playing together. It always amazed me, because at the piano, you don't have the feet for the base like for the organ, so you have only two hands and 10 fingers to play 3 distinct voices!

The organ can get tiring at times, but Bach's organ works are so very rewarding and some recordings I have heard get the balance so right.  But for sure playing Bach's organ pieces on piano or synth really helps hit the amazing quality of Bach's genius home.

The only works I really love on the organ are the 6 trio sonatas... and it depends of the player and the sound of the organ.

These works are so amazing, they are impossible to adapt for piano, well I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 8:41 AM, Disco Stu said:

There is *finally* a commercial recording of one of my favorite orchestral pieces of the last 20-or-so years, Lowell Liebermann's fantastic Trumpet Concerto written in 1999.  This is really the only trumpet concerto that's truly in competition with John Williams' for me (although I haven't heard Goldenthal's yet!).

I think Liebermann's music is perfect for fans of the classic Hollywood romantic film score style.

It's tracks 2 - 4 on this album:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4K4LWwNxFDemgu61oZ18XV?si=drr9u1E5T7CqgPLLYSBhyg

Or here's a playlist

Revisiting this piece tonight and it really is just extraordinary.  I can’t recommend it more fervently.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Cheers. I managed to find it in lossless on 7Digital. One to download when I get home. Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Cheers. I managed to find it in lossless on 7Digital. One to download when I get home. Cheers. 

Glad you managed to find it, I bought it on the Qobuz download store https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/remission-rubato-live-ryan-anthony/agu2p0zn86mtc

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Not exactly a recommendation...

I recently explored the music of John Luther Adams who seemed like a composer I would like.

Didn't.☺😒😞

Any fans here?

I don't know his music well enough to have a strong opinion either way.  However, my only live experience of his music - the European premiere of his In the Name of the Earth at the BBC Proms in 2019 - was one of the most amazing concerts I have been to.  I do not think that any audio or video recording of it could adequately convey the impact of the live experience.

The work featured eight different choirs totalling more than six hundred singers positioned around the hall before eventually all converging on the stage as the work reached its conclusion.  The audience was invited to join in the final 'Arctic Ocean' round and it was really fun to be able to be part of such a vast performance (the music was printed in the programme and LSO choral director Simon Halsey took the audience through it about half an hour before the concert started).

Here are a couple of photos I took at the end of the concert.

1B543D00-B94B-44A4-8797-BDE927884D85.jpeg

620E8AF3-1AF3-41F9-BC54-7074D16586AA.jpeg

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Two different takes on musical postmodernism.  

Dalbavie.  Thorny, but engaging.

Kevin Puts.  Absolutely lovely. 

I love, LOVE Kevin Puts!  He's a JW fan too!

• 1 month later...

I think I have managed to mostly recreate the tutti, but the lead-up causes me some trouble...

Das_Wunder_der_Heliane_-_reconstruction_01.mid

What's happening in the percussion?

The opera features:

Glsp. · Xyl. · Trgl. · t. Gl. · Schellen · gr. Gong · hg. Beck. · Beckenpaar · Tamt. · Schellentr. · kl. Tr. · gr. Tr. m. Beck. · Rute

https://web.archive.org/web/20120207164703/http://www.schott-international.com/shop/php/Proxy.php?purl=%2Fssh%2F9%2Fshow%2C153340.html

Stunning!

Listened to Samuel Carl Adams' Movements today. Definitely draws from his father's DNA, but has its own contours:

3 hours ago, Loert said:

Sends shivers down my spine:

There actually was a staged production of this in Vienna several years ago. Absolutely stunning, definitely deserves to be performed more often.

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There actually was a staged production of this in Vienna several years ago. Absolutely stunning, definitely deserves to be performed more often.

I'll definitely have to check out the whole work.  The program notes said he considered it his crowning achievement but it was a flop.

Apparently, Korngold's father's (in continuation of the Hanslick tradition) strong lobbying against modernists like Krenek had a backslash on the reception of his son's works, which at the time were already viewed as anachronistic. As far as I recall, the story is somewhat abstractly fairy tale like, which didn't bode well for Strauss' Die Frau ohne Schatten 8 years earlier either (which has become much more successful since then, but still isn't regularly staged I believe).

I have to retract my earlier comment: The 2017 production at the Volksoper Wien was an unstaged concert performance. Obviously it was impressive enough for me to feel like I've actually "seen" it.

I'd also wish the Staatsoper would revive their brilliant stage production of Die Tote Stadt, or at least release it on video. Speaking of which, there is a filmed stage production of Heliane on Naxos (by the Deutsche Opera Berlin). I should probably check that out.

• 3 weeks later...

A lovely performance of Gerald Finzi's Eclogue for Piano and Strings with the London Mozart Players and Howard Shelley on the ivories, recorded at St. John's Smith Square in Westminster.

Potentially relevant info for those within travelling distance to Vienna: The Staatsoper is reviving its production of Korngold's Die tote Stadt for 4 performances next February:

https://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/spielplan-tickets/detail/event/983447514-die-tote-stadt/

I'm perhaps biased because it's the first and only production I've seen, but I think it's terrific and I can't imagine any other presentation underlining its psycho-nightmarish qualities so well.

• 2 weeks later...