The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Listening to this great Bright Sheng album in solidarity with the guy (if you know not what I'm referring to, just google him for recent news, can't discuss politics here).  He's one of our finest!

15 hours ago, Loert said:

Possibly my favourite tonal (post-tonal?) piece by this guy:

What is this?

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Listening to this great Bright Sheng album in solidarity with the guy (if you know not what I'm referring to, just google him for recent news, can't discuss politics here).  He's one of our finest!

Or this? Video unavailable but I’d like to participate in the discussion… thanks!

31 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Or this? Video unavailable but I’d like to participate in the discussion… thanks!

Darn, that album is great but I can't find non "official" videos for it.  Oh well, this chamber piece is also very nice.  His fusion of Chinese and Western is beautiful

Oh and in case you can find an official streaming version in your country of the orchestral album I recommended this is what the album is: https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.570610

33 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

What is this?

It's the last movement from Lutoslawski's "Concerto for Orchestra", Lutoslawski conducting. The album is this one: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7925308--lutos-awski-symphonic-variations-etc

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Darn, that album is great but I can't find non "official" videos for it.  Oh well, this chamber piece is also very nice.  His fusion of Chinese and Western is beautiful

Oh and in case you can find an official streaming version in your country of the orchestral album I recommended this is what the album is: https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.570610

Thanks! I actually have the Naxos album of Bright Sheng's music including The Song of Dance and Tears, Colours of Crimson and The Blazing Mirage but appear not to have listened to it but I will have to do so!

13 minutes ago, Loert said:

It's the last movement from Lutoslawski's "Concerto for Orchestra", Lutoslawski conducting. The album is this one: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7925308--lutos-awski-symphonic-variations-etc

Thanks for the link. I have a couple of albums of Lutoslawski's music but don't seem to have the Concerto for Orchestra but I'll have to check this album out, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Ned Rorem turns 98 today!  A very happy birthday to one of my 5 favorite American composers.  He composed amazing, beautiful music across 8 decades but retired from writing 10 or so years ago.

Boosey & Hawkes for his birthday uploaded a score video of "Lions" one of his coolest orchestral pieces.  It's a fascinating combination of orchestra with a traditional jazz quartet functioning sort of like a continuo, except the orchestra and the jazz combo often seem to be more in conversation or even competition with each other.

Well worth your time.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Ned Rorem turns 98 today!  A very happy birthday to one of my 5 favorite American composers.  He composed amazing, beautiful music across 8 decades but retired from writing 10 or so years ago.

Boosey & Hawkes for his birthday uploaded a score video of "Lions" one of his coolest orchestral pieces.  It's a fascinating combination of orchestra with a traditional jazz quartet functioning sort of like a continuo, except the orchestra and the jazz combo often seem to be more in conversation or even competition with each other.

Well worth your time.

That was really cool!  I adored the string writing and colors!  Very fine music.  It reminds me a bit of Ives and also film music of that time.

Here is more American music, Howard Hanson's Lament for Beowulf:

• 1 month later...

I now decided this thread is for asking for recommendations too; if there's a better thread for that, this post can be moved there. :P

So in my deep dive into the Karajan DG discography, I particularly latched onto the period between the romantic and modern, and I'd like to ask if there are any particular good core "best of/essential" starter sets people would recommend for Sibelius, Debussy and Saint-Saëns, good recordings ideally also with good liner notes giving context so I wouldn't have to go wikisurfing separately for each piece. These look alright for the first two based on a quick amazon search:

81bSgJqJgvL._AC_SL1417_.jpg

71+zcgeMUfL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

However, the best S-S one seems to be this, and I certainly wouldn't call a set without Carnival of the Animals a definitive starter set:

81N6WsUmInS._AC_SL1488_.jpg

Also, what are the thoughts on the Previn Tchaikovsky ballet recordings? I'd like to discover further than the Nutcracker Suite and the one well known Swan Lake piece and this seems like a nice set.

81XWNfswooL._AC_SL1216_.jpg

All of Berglund's three Sibelius cycles are worth getting.

Regarding Saint-Saëns' symphonies, the 3rd is a masterpiece, but the others are quite disappointing.

Previn's Tchaikovsky ballets are very good. My favourite is the suites recorded by Karajan/VPO on Decca.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

81bSgJqJgvL._AC_SL1417_.jpg

I've got this one:

61sN59ULixL.jpg

I love it, because it also includes a lot of the tone poems (even though the Karelia Suite is still missing the middle movement, like on your set). Adding Karajan's incomplete set for a highly different perspective can't hurt either:

91xKn0PIecL._SL1500_.jpg

Although I wouldn't give up Rosbaud's gorgeous mono recordings for the world (but they're only a single disc of various tone poems):

4170P2ZXJSL.jpg

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Previn's Tchaikovsky ballets are very good.

That's almost all the Tchaikovsky I have, and I'm very happy with them.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's almost all the Tchaikovsky I have, and I'm very happy with them.

What do you think of the Karajan/VPO suites?

Regarding the Karelia suite, I'm still looking for the perfect recording, but I like Oramo's a lot.

44 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you think of the Karajan/VPO suites?

As I said, the Previn ballets are almost everything I have. I even mostly don't know the symphonies, for some reason I never wanted to bother with them.

47 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Regarding the Karelia suite, I'm still looking for the perfect recording, but I like Oramo's a lot.

If I had to pick one, it'd probably still be Rosbaud's:

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As I said, the Previn ballets are almost everything I have. I even mostly don't know the symphonies, for some reason I never wanted to bother with them.

Then I recommend these recordings:

5 hours ago, Holko said:

However, the best S-S one seems to be this, and I certainly wouldn't call a set without Carnival of the Animals a definitive starter set:

IMO Saint-Saens’ symphonic poems are more essential to his legacy than his symphonies.  It’s not a big box set but I love this album

C1565C67-F698-44B6-B0B1-E5E93B36D393.jpeg

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Why do the French bother to use consonants when they are NEVER pronounced?

Right Mr. Dayplah?

😎

In this case, it's Dess-PLAH, because of the special origin of the patronym.

People love to complain that English has more exceptions to rules than it has words that follow rules, but I find this to be true of pretty much every language.  It's human nature!

It helps to make yourself aware that language is nothing somebody invented based on a ruleset like grammar. Grammar is an auxiliary construct that people created to describe language as it is and if grammar construct is good it has a 70% match on the actual language. Same for spelling rules etc.

9 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Why do the French bother to use consonants when they are NEVER pronounced?

Right Mr. Dayplah?

😎

You put an unpronounced consonant there in your English transliteration… and an unpronounced vowel as well.

English = you (silent o, could just be written as “u”) know (silent k, redundant “w”, could be written as “no”) nothing (“o” = “u”) John (silent “h”) snow (redundant “w”).

English is fucking mental. On the flip side, no genders for regular nouns. I mean, why should a boat or a chair or chips or pylons or carbon or a hovercraft be masculine or feminine (or if you’re German, it could be neuter, so may as well just be that and do away with Der and Die).

On topic: listening to Minea by Kalevi Aho. Excellent as ever from Aho.

😜

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Correctly!  ….because I googled how to many years ago :P 

Ka-meal*say- san

Or kamee*

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You put an unpronounced consonant there in your English transliteration… and an unpronounced vowel as well.

It's a guide to pronounciation

Fyi

The common way to prounounce foreign language names, for Americans at least, is to Anglicize them.

San Francisco is not pronounced SAHN - FRAHN- SEESE- KO.

Los Angeles is Loss An- jell- is, not  Lowz- ahn- galese

Mexico is not pronounced Me- he- ko

etc.

Hugo Wolff is not pronounced. Ooh- GO VULF.

Even Italiani- American names like John CoriGliano enunciate the "g".

So Alex- ander Des- plot

is perfectly fine.

Either way.

It's been too long since I've posted about Walter Piston, who remains one of my 5 personal favorite composers.

I love this oboe suite, a very small chamber piece from the early 1930s, very early in his career as a composer.  The "Minuetto" movement especially is just achingly wonderful.  I love the ever-so-slightly sour turn the opening melody takes in the 2nd half of the phrase

48 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ground control to major @Tom Guernsey:

Regarding our earlier Sibelius discussion - check out this beautiful box from Ondine.

Thanks, I have added it to my Presto wish list! I actually already have a similarly titled 3CD set from Naxos (https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/NX 8143) which I shall have to listen to again, although it's more made up of shorter pieces.

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Marian Schedenig, do you have a favourite CD box set of Korngold's orchestral works?

Appreciate this wasn't directed at me but I don't actually think there is a boxed set of his orchestral works? However, I do highly recommend the two recent albums on Chandos with his Symphony and Violin Concerto, conducted by John Wilson. They make an excellent companion to the two film music albums on Chandos conducted by Rumon Gamba. I guess that sort of makes a boxed set!

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Appreciate this wasn't directed at me but I don't actually think there is a boxed set of his orchestral works? However, I do highly recommend the two recent albums on Chandos with his Symphony and Violin Concerto, conducted by John Wilson. They make an excellent companion to the two film music albums on Chandos conducted by Rumon Gamba. I guess that sort of makes a boxed set!

There's one box on CPO and one on Capriccio (both four CDs). Then there's four albums on Chandos conducted by Bamert, but I don't know if these have been released as a box.

I've got the Wilson take on the symphony, and will probably get his recording of the violin concerto as well.

When it comes to Gamba I find his Korngold recordings to be good but not great, but at least his choir in The Sea Hawk doesn't sound Russian...

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's one box on CPO and one on Capriccio (both four CDs). Then there's a series of recordings on Chandos conducted by Bamert, but I don't know if these have been released as a box.

I've got the Wilson take on the symphony, and will probably get his recording of the violin concerto as well.

When it comes to Gamba I find his Korngold recordings to be good but not great, but at least his choir in The Sea Hawk doesn't sound Russian...

Ah yes, I have a couple of the CPO albums (Orchestral Works 2 and Symphonic Serenade), are the others worth getting? Don't seem to have any of the Capriccio discs, are they worth getting? I have the Sursum Corda and Fairytale Pictures albums on Chandos under Bamert.

I rather enjoyed Gamba's Korngold albums, the plush Chandos sound suits the music well I find and thought the performances were pretty great. I like the Stromberg recordings of Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk but, as I said elsewhere, the performances feel a bit more matter of fact and the recording a bit more neutral. Not necessarily bad in any way, but the Chandos discs have a bit more of that Karajan/Richard Straussian glow which works wonders for Korngold.