The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Ravel's Pavane was used in a movie I watched a few days ago and again I was touched. The last time that happened was with Faure's Pavane in Mr. Nobody ...

Ravel's Pavane was used in a movie I watched a few days ago and again I was touched. The last time that happened was with Faure's Pavane in Mr. Nobody ...

Bruce-Catwoman-dance2.jpg

I've been to a performance of Philip Glass's Akhnaten produced by the Flemish Opera today. While I didn't really find the costumes (some were utterly ridiculous) and some aspects of the staging appealing (although I have to say both did have their merits) the music was performed with the energy and devotion it deserves, often reaching truly breathtaking highlights. I was particularly impressed by the music for Amenhotep III's funeral (which is almost enchanting with its sinister harmony) and the temple scene (mostly due to the ominous, almost horror-evoking tritone-driven harmony in the second half).

A little side note: the trumpet motif heard throughout the first half of the piece (at 4:47, for example) is very reminiscent of Williams Epilogue for War of the Worlds.

I really need to see some of his other opera's, now, though I'm a bit afraid I won't enjoy them as much as I did this one - I can't really figure out whether it was the music's distinct character or the minimalism that appealed to me.

Bruce-Catwoman-dance2.jpg

Was it used in that movie too (as background music maybe)? I don't recall.

And now, some good music from 1742.

J.S. Bach: 24 preludes and fugues (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book II), BWV 870-893 (Ashkenazy)

Written 20 years after the first volume, Book II contains the musical and spiritual legacy of the composer.

Saw Alexander's post for a Philip Glass work. Now here's one I found, and I clearly remember it:

Geometry of Circles (1979)

The first and fourth segments are my favorites.

Mussorgsky's Promenade theme is very joyful and moving at the same time - I think it's so striking because of its harmonic and melodic straightforwardness, e.g. the lack of melodic embellishment and the sparse use of chromaticism (which is completely absent in the first half of the piece).

I must say I vastly prefer the piano version - I think Ravel's orchestration lacks some of the subtlety of the former.

I agree with Vladimir Ashkenazy on Ravel's orchestration. It tries to "comb Mussorgsky's hair." It Francifies the piece.

My favourite orchestration is still Stokowski's.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mgxFtLikwiQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love this piece so much that I taught myself how to play it:

It marked my debut as a concert pianist.