Muad'Dib

The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

On 11/30/2019 at 1:02 PM, SteveMc said:

American composer Florence Price: Violin Concerto No. 2

EDIT: The Violin Concerto No. 1 in D is pretty good , too.

Wow, an African American woman composer born 1887, talk about breaking down barriers!  Will have to check this out.

Today marks 29 years since the death of Copland

image.png

The third movement of his Piano Quartet, a work which I will evangelize for endlessly, seems appropriate.  At times mournful, at times bitter, always emotionally tense.

Not a Tannhäuser expert myself. Barenboim is the one I have, and as far as I remember it's a good one, but it's been years since I listened to it. Some quality names in the cast in any case. Avoid Sinopoli, because Domingo singing German is quite horrid.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Marian Schedenig, JWFan's opera expert, what's your recommendation for a recording of Wagner's Tannhäuser? I've read that Barenboim's is a good compromise between the different versions of the work. Any thoughts?

Solti, Vienna Philharmonic.  Excellent audio, performance, recording, soloists.

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Helga-Dernesch-Wiener-Philharmoniker/dp/B01LXENLAY/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

His is arguably the finest Ring cycle too and I love Tristan und Isolde, and Parsifal from him.  A very fine Wagnerian and Straussian (Elektra, Die Frau ohne Schatten), seriously what an opening:

17 hours ago, karelm said:

Solti, Vienna Philharmonic.  Excellent audio, performance, recording, soloists.

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Helga-Dernesch-Wiener-Philharmoniker/dp/B01LXENLAY/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

His is arguably the finest Ring cycle too and I love Tristan und Isolde, and Parsifal from him.  A very fine Wagnerian and Straussian (Elektra, Die Frau ohne Schatten), seriously what an opening:

Thanks for the recommendation. I've already got his Ring cycle.

19 hours ago, karelm said:

As I've repeated before, I'm not a fan of what I've heard of his Ring, but his Strauss rocks. No other recording of Elektra is necessary.

I'll have to listen to that Frosch clip later. I still don't have a recording of that - I only heard it live for the first time earlier this year. Online research shows that pretty much all available recordings have their issues (smaller or bigger ones depending to various people), and apparently there isn't really one that's both mostly complete and sports a consistently good cast. Any input on that?

(I certainly wouldn't mind a release of Thielemann's version at the Wiener Staatsoper this year. Camilla Nylund, Tomasz Konieczny and Nina Stemme were a deluxe cast, and Thielemann's Strauss is hard to top these days)

I like Solti's gutsy conducting. Regarding Tannhäuser, I'll probably get Barenboim's, since Solti's quite expensive everywhere I've looked. And the former also has the hottest cover art. ;)

I do regret not getting the 2012 CD box of Solti's complete Wagner operas before it sold out.

35 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'll have to listen to that Frosch clip later. I still don't have a recording of that - I only heard it live for the first time earlier this year. Online research shows that pretty much all available recordings have their issues (smaller or bigger ones depending to various people), and apparently there isn't really one that's both mostly complete and sports a consistently good cast. Any input on that?

The Sawallisch studio recording is still my favourite and still the one to beat, IMO. It is one of the best-mixed opera albums out there. My only issue with it is that the four tam-tams in the penultimate scene aren't brought out as well as in some other recordings (especially the Bohm).

As for Tannhauser...my favourite is Sawallisch, again. 1962 live recording. Though I can't say I've listened to all the recordings out there and done an exact comparison!

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As I've repeated before, I'm not a fan of what I've heard of his Ring, but his Strauss rocks. No other recording of Elektra is necessary.

(I certainly wouldn't mind a release of Thielemann's version at the Wiener Staatsoper this year. Camilla Nylund, Tomasz Konieczny and Nina Stemme were a deluxe cast, and Thielemann's Strauss is hard to top these days)

I also love Levine's MET recording.  What do you think of that?  I think it tops Thielmann in overall grandeur.