The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Il s'agissait de mon dernier post dans ce fil de discussion. De toute façon, il faut bien se rendre à l'évidence, chacun partage ce qu'il aime et ceci, dans l'indifférence de tous les autres usagers. :rolleyes:

edit

4765040-Recomposed-Richter-700x700_zpsca

Throwing away 75% of the original material and recomposing one of the most beloved classical works of all time has to be one of the ballsiest projects I've heard in a long time. I think I even liked what I heard!

Alex

I was prepared to be disgusted by your appearance in this thread ...

It amazes that the moderators are tolerating such venomous posts .. I'm glad to say nobody disgusts me at JWFan.

Anyway,

HindsonViolinConcertoCoriglianoSuitefrom

Listened a couple of times to Hindson's Violin Concerto. This CD also features a suit from Corigliano's The Red Violin, which can almost be considered a modern classic by now.

Alex

hilary-hahn-higdon-cd-cover_zps2a842873.

The work of Jennifer Higdon (hey, a female composer?!) is really nice. Recommended for those who love the violin and lyrical music.

Alex

Playing this with some folks tonight. Combined with traditional St. Patrick's day (weekend) festivities, should be an interesting exercise in concentration.

Can you guys recommend any more stuff that goes in the line of Orff's Gassenhauer? Particularly the first movement

You're So Cool - Hans Zimmer ;)

Can you guys recommend any more stuff that goes in the line of Orff's Gassenhauer? Particularly the first movement

You're So Cool - Hans Zimmer ;)

Lol I was hoping you wouldn't mention that :lol:

hilary-hahn-higdon-cd-cover_zps2a842873.

The work of Jennifer Higdon (hey, a female composer?!) is really nice. Recommended for those who love the violin and lyrical music.

Alex

The video of that piece on Youtube has inspired one of the more amusing comment sections I've seen.

It's lovely music.

Oh man, this one is a good read too. Where do these people come from?

From the little bit I've heard, her concerto for orchestra, even though much heavier in tone than the violin concerto, sounds interesting too.

Alex

There's plenty of nuts commenting on classical music videos on Youtube. One memorable one claimed that because a certain study showed atonal and rock music stunted the growth of plants, therefore they're also harmful to humans.

• 3 weeks later...

Sharing this without listening, as I've been trying to go all week without listening to anything post-Beethoven. But I love the influence of the Negro spirituals/traditional songs that Delius would have encountered while in Florida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePOz8ruthFQ

I'll be listening to BMV 4 on Sunday during the car ride to my parent's house.

Excellent choice for the 2014-04-20 :-)

The London Philharmonic Orchestra premiered Henryk Gorecki's 4th Symphony last week under the baton of Andrey Boreyko at London's Royal Festival Hall. You can watch the whole performance online until Monday 21st April at the link below.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/video/2014/apr/14/philharmonic-orchaestra-video

I like how the three bass drummers get the biggest cheer at the end.

:sigh:

Programme notes here if you are interested:

http://issuu.com/londonphilharmonic/docs/12_april_2014_lpo_programme_final_f

The London Philharmonic Orchestra premiered Henryk Gorecki's 4th Symphony last week under the baton of Andrey Boreyko at London's Royal Festival Hall. You can watch the whole performance online until Monday 21st April at the link below.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/video/2014/apr/14/philharmonic-orchaestra-video

I like how the three bass drummers get the biggest cheer at the end.

:sigh:

Programme notes here if you are interested:

http://issuu.com/londonphilharmonic/docs/12_april_2014_lpo_programme_final_f

So this was an interesting piece. Gotta say though, that I think ol' Henryk sometimes abused the come sopra too much for my taste.

These two are quite traditional but nonetheless extremely exquisite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_kPcArH02s

And not exactly classical per se, but a delightful homage to the opera tradition by an italian master, with a bit of critic to the upper class as Faber always did of course...

Can anyone recommend a few classical pieces that most resemble the classic orchestral film score sound from the 70s-90s?

Can you cite some specific scores? A lot of that sound, especially once you're into the 80's, is pretty exclusive to Hollywood.

You might try out John Adams, Aaron Copland, Samuel Barber, and Korngold's concert music. Why not Wagner, Richard Strauss, and Mahler while you're at it?

Well, I guess I don't really know. I guess like Star Wars, Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan, Star Trek The Motion Picture, ET, Back to The Future, The Last Starfighter, Indiana Jones, Air Force One, Independence Day, etc.

Then I think those guys I mentioned would be good starting points. Those scores are still mostly in the "old" style. After a certain point in the 80's, Horner, Goldsmith, and even Williams moved into a realm that is pretty independent of any concert music. In fact, a lot of concert music started to draw from them. You'll hear a lot of that in Adams' stuff.

For Wagner, try The Ring Without Words. With Strauss, Ein Heldenleben, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Tod und Verklarung, Eine Alpensinfonie. These guys are the source of a lot of the original Hollywood sound.

Also try Prokofiev for some Hornerisms. ;)