Fantasia and Kubrick

Muad'Dib

This is something I've always wondered ever since I watched 2001... While I watched it, I couldn't help thinking how much it reminded me of Fantasia, particularly the Rite of Spring segment. It's not just the use of classical music, but a lot of the shots are quite similar and even the camera positions coincide; specially during the moments where Kubrick films the moon or the iconic opening scene. There's lot of that kind of stuff in Fantasia too, by no one has ever mentioned such comparison (probably because most Kubrick fans diss anyhing Disney-related, even if its the company's finest artistic achievement).

So what do you think, did Fantasia influence Kubrick's masterpiece or it's just a weird coincidence?

Share your thoughts.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...never thought about that, to be honest. But I love both films dearly (I'm both a Kubrick and Disney fan), so I'll be sure to pay extra attention the next time I watch them.

Just from experience, I have a lot of friends who are devoted to Kubrick, and I presented them this same thinking, and they don't even want to watch Fantasia because it's from Disney.

Quite sad, in my opinion. However, that's not to say it applies to every Kubrick fan. I'm a Kubrick fan myself and I love Disney, and I'm sure lots of people here too.

Later I'll post some photos of Fantasia and 2001 to compare.

Hmm...never thought about that, to be honest. But I love both films dearly (I'm both a Kubrick and Disney fan), so I'll be sure to pay extra attention the next time I watch them.

This....

....it's never something that's crossed my mind....but ears and eyes open next time...

I have a lot of friends who are devoted to Kubrick, and I presented them this same thinking, and they don't even want to watch Fantasia because it's from Disney.

Your friends sound so open-minded...

Anyway, I've never read anything about a Disney influence on Kubrick, but I wouldn't rule it out. The man was a cultural sponge.