Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises

Jay

I remember when I heard Prometheus I had a similar thought: despite the several composers, they weren't able to make something as cool as Goldsmiths original. Kind of funny.

That's like saying you had four paperhangers on this MONA LISA job and it wasn't as good as Da Vinci.

There's only one credited composer with the "additional music" moniker: Lorne Balfe. At least that's what the film says, there are people credited with the synth programming and ambient design.

And even though Zimmer constantly reuses cues from BB and TDK, he does develop them more.

That's because a score is not like a fucking construction site. It's not because you have more people working on it that the end result is going to be better. In fact, it's quite the opposite. The risk is to have a score going in different directions all at once, and lacking in cohesion and unity.

In my not so humble opinion, the less composers working on a score, the better.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

I still kind of like this score. I see it as a film music pop/rock type of thing. It manages to bring some closure to the concept and I appreciate that. The short album is enough, though. Hey, I even bought this thing!

Karol

It does and doesn't work - both at the same time. There is too much music in the film and some of it, especially in the last 30 minutes, sounds like the same track over and over again. But at some points it is really good. I like that they dropped music completely from one pivotal scene. It feels more dramatic this way.

Karol

Agreed, Karol, especially for the dropping out point. As I think about it, the repetition is a problem, and I'm disappointed to hear the the slowed down passage was done by digital manipulation. But I can't hate this thing. I definitely like that Zimmer stretched the sound world of the trilogy a bit for this one.

Are they still ghostwriters if we know who they are? The term is obsolete, at least concerning Zimmer.

I also assume you're including people like Mel Wesson in the final count, who has done ambient design on all of the scores. Lorne Balfe is in there I'm sure, he probably did some additional music.

Filmtracks lists six people (the site isn't a Zimmer shrine, but it doesn't lie) :Lorne BalfeTom HolkenborgAndrew KawczynskiJasha KlebeSteve MazzaroRamin DjawadiAnd yes, they are ghost writers because Zimmer's name is on the cover and the film credits, and nobody except people who know where to look cares about who the fuck is listed amongst caterers and scoring engineers.So, at least Lorne Balfe and Ramin Djawadi contributed to the score. This is a score that in no way requires help by anyone.And how does that work anyway?I assume Zimmer is the person Nolan goes to as far as the score is concerned; how do the ghost writers know what Nolan told Zimmer how the music should sound like?Although, really, the score sounds like Zimmer just did his own thing anyway.

I just saw the film and the score was mixed way too loud and was extremely uninspired. Makes you sad that such a great comic book hero, as realistic and gritty Nolan's vision is, is plagued with such bland and irritating musical accompaniment.

It's even more sad now that the richness of the themes and characters/arcs are enhanced with the final film. These films are a breeding ground for superb material from a composer with the right skill and direction. As has been suggested before, Don Davis would've nailed it. Or in an alternate universe, if you're teaming composers, get Shirley Walker and James Newton Howard--BTAS+Unbreakable=Sublime Bat-scoring.

The score was mixed too loud in the film. I've always felt that the music has fit the films even though they have never been as good as they could be. I've made peace with them.

There's only one credited composer with the "additional music" moniker: Lorne Balfe. At least that's what the film says, there are people credited with the synth programming and ambient design.

And even though Zimmer constantly reuses cues from BB and TDK, he does develop them more.

I assumed as much. Synth programming and ambient design isn't co-composing, something many anti-Zimmer folk like to ignore.

Are they still ghostwriters if we know who they are? The term is obsolete, at least concerning Zimmer.

I also assume you're including people like Mel Wesson in the final count, who has done ambient design on all of the scores. Lorne Balfe is in there I'm sure, he probably did some additional music.

Filmtracks lists six people (the site isn't a Zimmer shrine, but it doesn't lie) :Lorne BalfeTom HolkenborgAndrew KawczynskiJasha KlebeSteve MazzaroRamin DjawadiAnd yes, they are ghost writers because Zimmer's name is on the cover and the film credits, and nobody except people who know where to look cares about who the fuck is listed amongst caterers and scoring engineers.So, at least Lorne Balfe and Ramin Djawadi contributed to the score. This is a score that in no way requires help by anyone.And how does that work anyway?I assume Zimmer is the person Nolan goes to as far as the score is concerned; how do the ghost writers know what Nolan told Zimmer how the music should sound like?Although, really, the score sounds like Zimmer just did his own thing anyway.

Six people under additional music and arrangements, cross check that with the film credits and you (apparently) have 5 arrangers and an additional music composer. That is if Filmtracks is correct, but the internet never makes mistakes.

So Chris Nolan is the co-director right? He had assistant directors and second unit directors, but only his name is credited when the film ends. Ghostdirectors, right, since audiences don't know where to look in the credits and don't give a shit?

Why do you always sound like Zimmer killed your mother?

Fun Fact: Hans Zimmer, composer, is not a sound mixer for the films he scores.

So Chris Nolan is the co-director right? He had assistant directors and second unit directors, but only his name is credited when the film ends. Ghostdirectors, right, since audiences don't know where to look in the credits and don't give a shit?

Christopher Nolan has always supervised every shot in his movies, including the inserts and aerial shots. He only has assistant directors helping him.

I just saw the film and the score was mixed way too loud and was extremely uninspired. Makes you sad that such a great comic book hero, as realistic and gritty Nolan's vision is, is plagued with such bland and irritating musical accompaniment.

Nolan completely missed the boat on that one. Shirley Walker's theme is just broad, expansive, and timeless. It not only encompasses the animated series she wrote it for so well, but one can easily use and re-arrange it differently for the darker, Nolan version.

Kinda ironic that Zimmer was the synth programmer for Walker's Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, isn't it?

Christopher Nolan has always supervised every shot in his movies, including the inserts and aerial shots. He only has assistant directors helping him.

Yeah, he doesn't use storyboards (except for action sequences), second unit or he doesn't even make lists of shots. He remembers every shot when editing. What's quite unheard of.in this business. There's a great interview on his filmmaking sensibilities.

Karol

ZIMMER GAVE ME A HEADACHE.

Saw the movie, the music was so loud it absolutely overwhelmed the movie. Like normal shots of people walking had enormous pounding to almost deafening levels. It just felt ridiculous and was a constant atmosphere killer. And it seemed like 10 minutes of music was composed for the movie and played on loop throughout the 2 hours 45 minutes. It went on and on and on and got louder and louder and louder to the point where the dialog was incoherent at times. A bullshit score and a bullshit soundmix. Movie was okay, nothing special.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-dark-knight-rises-score-to-have-life-of-its-own-via-iphone-app-20120719,0,4005295.story

It's likely, Zimmer said, that every piece of music created for Nolan's Batman trilogy will eventually be released in one collection.

Yeah, he doesn't use storyboards (except for action sequences), second unit or he doesn't even make lists of shots. He remembers every shot when editing. What's quite unheard of.in this business. There's a great interview on his filmmaking sensibilities.

Karol

Never knew that. Leone is the only one I know of that directed that way.

As for the article Maurizio posted, I'm more intrigued by its main focus: Zimmer trying to expand our niche interest to a wider audience.

Oh woe?

Oh...

The Dark Knight Trilogy - The Complete Recordings, with indepth analysis by Doug Adams.

Call Douggie up! The true significance and iterations of the brilliant two-note theme will finally come to our full realization!

Well,

I saw it today. I left with the numbness of NIHL (noise induced hearing loss) from the volume. Ugh. There were some great moments. The parts of the score that I enjoyed were the only parts of the score I enjoyed in the movie. THANK GOD for the ending or I would have just left absolutely hating the franchise.

http://www.latimes.c...0,4005295.story

It's likely, Zimmer said, that every piece of music created for Nolan's Batman trilogy will eventually be released in one collection.

Awesome! colgate.gif

I'll be there to purchase this, should this ever happen.

So, we will end up having each piece of music, like, ten times?Oh Jesus ....

Speaking of all the cues, do you know what the cue where Bruce Wayne runs onto the train when he's motivated to start training in Batman Begins is??

Is it even released?

Speaking of all the cues, do you know what the cue where Bruce Wayne runs onto the train when he's motivated to start training in Batman Begins is??

Is it even released?

It's unreleased, but according to the RS/cue sheets,

"Decision"

http://www.latimes.c...0,4005295.story

Eventhough I own the OST's of BB and TDK. Still don't own TDKR. If this is true and does happen. It depends what's on it and I might purchase it. As well as the price tag. I'm a completist and a batman fan. If they throw in a liner notes booklet with a thorough analysis of the scores to each film would be nice too. I smell a Elfman/Burton box situation with this. Where it's mostly a quick money grab for fans of the films and scores.

Check out this featurette about the sound and music of The Dark Knight Rises

http://soundworkscollection.com/darkknightrises

Interesting to see Zimmer's workstation in action, crazy stuff. Some of the stuff he says about his career leading up to this film is a bit head-scratching considering how the final score ended up not having much originality to it

Yeah I want to see it in IMAX, but the only legit one around here is in the Smithsonian. Getting my friends together while we're all busy with work and then getting down there is all kind of a hassle.

I may try to go on my own, so I can just revel in it all.

I recommend seeing a movie like this the first time in a normal theater, then if you like it go to the IMAX for the second viewing. The first time you see it you will want to take in the plot with no distractions, the second time you will already know the story and can admire the IMAX scenery more

I tend to not have that issue, and like to see things for the first time in the best quality possible. Normally I wouldn't mind but considering a third of the movie was filmed in IMAX I feel like it's a must.

http://soundworkscol...darkknightrises

What retained my attention in this video: the SFX guy talking about Hans: "Everything is music to him. All sound is music.".

If all sound is music, then my washing machine is one hell of a composer.

http://soundworkscol...darkknightrises

What retained my attention in this video: the SFX guy talking about Hans: "Everything is music to him. All sound is music.".

If all sound is music, then my washing machine is one hell of a composer.

I have a feeling you'll love Nathan Jonhson's Looper.