JW Retired?

Is he going to be soon, or not? Does anyone know? At the first Boston Pops concert, he hinted at it ( hopefully it was in a joking manner) and I know Robopocalpse has been taken down as one of his upcoming scores. Anyone have any clue?

Specifically what did he say in Boston? And where was Robopocalypse taken down from? Usually it takes awhile for Spielberg's latest films to be officially placed on his agents' list. We knew about Tintin and War Horse months, if not years, before JW's agents officially announced he would work on them.

Might be good to change the title of the thread to something more speculative--it's a little alarming as it is.

Guys, as great as IMDb and JWFan are, they aren't going to be the first places to be notified if JW decided to retire. They're probably both just waiting for an official press release from Gorwaine-Schwarz before posting JW's involvement in Robo.

Like Indy4 pointed out, I think changing the title is a good idea. This is certainly far from being the most pleasant thing to see this late at night, being sleep-deprived and all.

Like Indy4 pointed out, I think changing the title is a good idea. This is certainly far from being the most pleasant thing to see this late at night, being sleep-deprived and all.

geez this thread title scared the crap out of me

The title of the thread should definitely be changed ASAP!!! It is misleading and heart attack inducing to JWFans!

I just added a question mark to the title.

Guys, as great as IMDb and JWFan are, they aren't going to be the first places to be notified if JW decided to retire. They're probably both just waiting for an official press release from Gorwaine-Schwarz before posting JW's involvement in Robo.

I just need enough evidence of Williams' involvement, not necessarily a press release. And as of now there are too many questions surrounding the project. I'd even say that Williams himself doesn't know if he's going to score that film.

Spielberg could force Desplat to be less subdued and more sentimental. Hell of a experiment. Otherwise I just don't see it. They don't match in my mind. Desplat doesn't go around pumping War Horses and Tintins and Wars of the Worlds.

JW himself seems to be so close in musical taste to Spielberg that I find it too hard to evaluate this.

Spielberg has praised Zimmer before, and he also named him head of the Dreamworks music department. I think it's very likely that Spielberg will pick Zimmer if JW retires.

If Spielberg could persuade Zimmer to rethink his stance on traditional orchestral score in contemporary movies I'd be all for a partnership. On those terms and ONLY those terms, I'd take Zimmer over Gia and Desplat.

Yeah that's right, suck it up.

Spielberg has praised Zimmer before, and he also named him head of the Dreamworks music department. I think it's very likely that Spielberg will pick Zimmer if JW retires.

Oh, gosh, again... This is one of those urban legends alimented by fans over the internet, which took some words from Zimmer and transformed it in a much bigger thing than it really is. On an old FSM magazine interview Zimmer said Spielberg was a fan of his Crimson Tide score. Period. That's the only thing we know. The other connection known is that Zimmer gave Spielberg a "Thank You" credit on the Gladiator OST album (in another FSM interview Zimmer said Spielberg asked him to take a nod from Alex North's Spartacus score). Zimmer was named head of DreamWorks Music Department by Jerry Katzenberg, who brought him because of their key collaboration at Walt Disney for The Lion King (it should also be noted that Zimmer got that role only for a short period of time).

Of course Spielberg is a film music buff as much as we are, hence it's likely that he likes and respect the work of Hans Zimmer. But he's admittedly a patented fan of classic Hollywood orchestral film music--that's why he sticks with John Williams since 1974!

Zimmer is Nolan.

Spielberg could force Desplat to be less subdued and more sentimental. Hell of a experiment. Otherwise I just don't see it.

Watch Benjamin Button. It sorta happened already.

Oh, gosh, again... This is one of those urban legends alimented by fans over the internet, which took some words from Zimmer and transformed it in a much bigger thing than it really is. On an old FSM magazine interview Zimmer said Spielberg was a fan of his Crimson Tide score. Period. That's the only thing we know. The other connection known is that Zimmer gave Spielberg a "Thank You" credit on the Gladiator OST album (in another FSM interview Zimmer said Spielberg asked him to take a nod from Alex North's Spartacus score). Zimmer was named head of DreamWorks Music Department by Jerry Katzenberg, who brought him because of their key collaboration at Walt Disney for The Lion King (it should also be noted that Zimmer got that role only for a short period of time).

Of course Spielberg is a film music buff as much as we are, hence it's likely that he likes and respect the work of Hans Zimmer. But he's admittedly a patented fan of classic Hollywood orchestral film music--that's why he sticks with John Williams since 1974!

Interesting, I never knew that most of that stuff was exaggerated. I thought I read it in an article, but I guess I just heard it from a member on this MB.

People have been riding on that praise since 1995. He's probably changed his mind since then.

Is he going to be soon, or not? Does anyone know? At the first Boston Pops concert, he hinted at it ( hopefully it was in a joking manner) and I know Robopocalpse has been taken down as one of his upcoming scores. Anyone have any clue?

Music is his life. As long as his health and facilities remain he'll continue to write music.

My guess as well.

I think he'd pick Giacchino for sure

Williams' official resume at Gorfaine Schwartz doesn't mention Robopocalypse........ but it doesn't mention Lincoln either, so its clearly out of date. Hopefully when it does get updated, both films get added and not just Lincoln.

http://www.gsamusic....lliams_John.pdf

If Williams doesn't score Robopocalypse, I think Giacchino is MUCH MUCH more likely to score it than Zimmer.

As for future films, I could see Spielberg using different composers depending on the type of film it is. But Robopocalypse is right up Giacchino's alley

Don't forget Spielberg and Giacchino have worked together before, on Medal of Honor and Super 8.

Spielberg is the reason why Giacchino is scoring today. He was working on The Lost World video game as a programmer, I believe, while still trying to break into scoring. They needed some music for a demo to show Spielberg, and had him write a piece. Spielberg asked when they were going to record with orchestra, and that was that.

Spielberg is the reason why Giacchino is scoring today. He was working on The Lost World video game as a programmer, I believe, while still trying to break into scoring. They needed some music for a demo to show Spielberg, and had him write a piece. Spielberg asked when they were going to record with orchestra, and that was that.

:yes:

http://youtu.be/1GhoYimCDdM?t=11m8s

After reading Robopacalypse I'm hoping that Spielberg will not direct. It's not very good at all. I am not a fan of that whole macro storytelling to begin with and the story is rarely engaging.

:yes:

http://youtu.be/1GhoYimCDdM?t=11m8s

Oooh nice video Alice! Thanks for posting! Giacchino meeting Spielberg was a lovely story and how he has been a large part of his career in many ways.

Yeah! Giacchino could be the next Spielberg choice.

Spielberg may help younger talent, but i'm sure he would be reluctant to use them on his own projects, especially MG, who has a bit of a square Hollywood-career.

I have a good bio on SS which stresses how he often seems to look up to erudite well-bred West point types, resulting in the Dreamworks career of producer Walter Parkes, whom Spielberg obviously adulated (as one observer noted, 'you were like, STEVEN SPIELBERG, feeling intimidated by...Walter Parkes??'). With that in mind, i guess he would pick a composer project by project, favouring out-of-the-box solutions and classy names instead of Hollywood veterans.

Music is his life. As long as his health and facilities remain he'll continue to write music.

I don't think he'll ever stop writing music--he's mentioned many times that he does so every day, even if it's not for a specific work. But I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if he stopped writing film music, because the time constraints probably make it much more stressful than concert music.

MV5BODgwNTQ3NDQzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzYzMjk1._V1._SX259_SY400_.jpg

It is not. The new guy asked a question. He may have learned to never ask another question or post again; most new members do. All y'all's reactions to this and sheer terror of this mortal man maybe doing something else with the rest of his life are what's ridiculous.

Wojo you're just blowing smoke man, John may retire, but it won't revealed in a thread like this. More likely he'll retire by dying.