JW Retired?

Smoke? Seems harmless these days.

The thread was never meant to be revelatory in nature, but responsorial. For those who would rather post a question than Google it or read the front page of the message board. Not many know we still have a front page to the message board.

But will he still be supervising and approving the new label reissues?

We'll get the best label reissues of John Williams material when he supervises and approves as much as Jerry Goldsmith.

Don't deny it.

Music is his life. As long as his health and facilities remain he'll continue to write music.

Yep, just like Stephen King, who announced his retirement about five years ago but has been writing steadily ever since. He said he truly meant to stop but realized it was just in the blood and there's no stopping the words from coming out.

This is pretty interesting. Being 80, it's bound to happen that Spielberg will out live him. It will be so weird to see a Spielberg film not scored by JW. Will SS change his style? Will he get someone like GM who kind of sounds like JW, and just ask him to produce music with the same feel. I think it will be interesting to see. Although, it will be a tragedy and loss of a legend when JW goes. Sad to think about. I do think he will keep writing until he physically cannot though. Similar to Steve Jobs, or Jerry Goldsmith.

I do think he will keep writing until he physically cannot though.

Well, they'll just have to give him one of those Stephen Hawking chairs, so he can use that man's Speak'n'Spell to write the music for him.

A#...is the seventh derivative of pi...sixteenth note...boom-tzz...the nature of the universe is that it can never...Bb...

If I had the time, I'd photoshop something.

I think he'll be switching between composers once JW retires (IF he ever retires). He'll probably have Giacchino score one of his films, but I don't think he'll stick with any one composer.

And who knows, Williams might have quite the amount of time ahead of him in life, and I firmly believe that the man won't stop composing until he is physically incapable of it.

Possibly Giacchino but tbh I don't think he writes with the same gravitas Spielberg requires. James Newton Howard would be the kind of personality Spielberg could work with. Might get a little akward though as Peter Jackson has used JNH in the past...

The one positive thing I notice about composers like JNH is they rarely overwelm the movie or plaster it with music like Williams/Spielberg may. Probably hevily influenced by Goldsmiths less is more philosphy. On the other hand while the music they write fits well with the scene, the melodys are not as good as what Williams could write....... so I guess it's a tradeoff!!

James Newton Howard would be the kind of personality Spielberg could work with. Might get a little akward though as Peter Jackson has used JNH in the past...

How is that awkward?

Spielberg has praised Zimmer before, and he also named him head of the Dreamworks music department. I think it's very likely that Spielberg will pick Zimmer if JW retires.

I dam well hope this don`t happen,scores to his films will go rockbottom,zimmer won`t able to turn any good score out for spielberg,he should chosr giacchino,at least he`s a good composer,zimmers nothing but a technican imo

I hope that whenever John retires, Spielberg uses a good composer. Giacchino would be a good choice, but i'd also like to hear Zimmer scoring one of his films.

Yeah sorry everybody, i thought i had put a question mark....... anyways at the first concert, he was talking about his earlier days in film and of course his relationship with spielburg. he said " steven has has the energy of a young man, i hope ill still be working for another two or three years, we'll see". the strange thing was that he said the exact same shiel the night after but left that out. The same night i was reading that Williams last score was Licoln. Hopefully he will keep doing concerts in Boston though. I know that people stalk him when hes in Boston for the concerts. People were tailing him from his hotel to symhpony hall. They were not fans, just guys who want his autograph to make a quick buck on e-bay, so I know he runs around quite a bit trying to lose these guys. Hopefully he can look past that

Yeah sorry everybody, i thought i had put a question mark....... anyways at the first concert, he was talking about his earlier days in film and of course his relationship with spielburg. he said " steven has has the energy of a young man, i hope ill still be working for another two or three years, we'll see". the strange thing was that he said the exact same shiel the night after but left that out. The same night i was reading that Williams last score was Licoln. Hopefully he will keep doing concerts in Boston though. I know that people stalk him when hes in Boston for the concerts. People were tailing him from his hotel to symhpony hall. They were not fans, just guys who want his autograph to make a quick buck on e-bay, so I know he runs around quite a bit trying to lose these guys. Hopefully he can look past that

Recently JW has made comments about his future aspirations, always prefaced with an "if I'm around then." I think he's talking about death, not retirement. It's his way of being humble about his physical strength. I don't see any signs of retirement in this statement.

Recently JW has made comments about his future aspirations, always prefaced with an "if I'm around then." I think he's talking about death, not retirement. It's his way of being humble about his physical strength. I don't see any signs of retirement in this statement.

thats very true, but he has this way of saying it at the concert. But of course, being an artist is something you never really retire from. To me, hes kind of on retired status now, doing alot less for film then he used to.

We can only pray that Spielberg will go with either Ramin Djawadi or Steve Jablonsky.

That statement is moronic. Spielberg is known for having praised the work of Ilayaraja more than any other living composer. Ilayaraja will be his next go-to composer.

I haven't seen his name in awhile, either you're a true JWFan or you've been using the search engine a lot.

We can only pray that Spielberg will go with either Ramin Djawadi or Steve Jablonsky.

That statement is moronic. Spielberg is known for having praised the work of Ilayaraja more than any other living composer. Ilayaraja will be his next go-to composer.

I haven't seen his name in awhile, either you're a true JWFan or you've been using the search engine a lot.

He's been reading up on his JWFAN history. Next he'll start reciting the exploits of Figo.

Actually, the last time it was brought up was actually not that long time ago (and it was during my presence here):

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14869&st=0&p=794876&hl=illayarajahentry794876

We all know BloodBoal is an excellent user of the JWFan search engine. He has dug up countless old conversations with great comedic success in the past.

Ahh so each time he makes me feel like crap for not being able to use the search engine properly was just BloodBoal being a dick and him being too good of a search engine expert for his own good. :P

I'm still waiting for John's rejected score for The Color Purple to leak.

Yes the mythical score that unlike the finished one didn't have 10 million different people handling the orchestration and scoring.

There is not rejected score to The Color Purple, its a long running joke. The Color Purple was always intended to be scored by Quincy Jones.

I'm still waiting for John's rejected score for The Color Purple to leak.

You should get a copy from Stefan, his Kira Nerys Records release is the best version.

I would like to know if anybody can actually spell that guy's name from memory, or if everybody is constantly copying and pasting it from previous threads or other links.

I would like to know if anybody can actually spell that guy's name from memory, or if everybody is constantly copying and pasting it from previous threads or other links.

i can't , and I did copy and paste it from Bloadboal's post after 3 attempts to type something on my own

What's all this talk about me knowing how to use the search engine? Why don't you guys just acknowledge the fact that Iliarajiraja is one of the most beloved film music composer ever?

He definitely is as far as Bollywood is concerned, but although far more prolific, he doesn't have the same international status as Rahman, obviously.

What's all this talk about me knowing how to use the search engine? Why don't you guys just acknowledge the fact that Iliarajiraja is one of the most beloved film music composer ever?

He definitely is as far as Bollywood is concerned, but although far more prolific, he doesn't have the same international status as Rahman, obviously.

Rahman? You mean the japanese food? I agree, Rahman is far more successful internationally. It's so good, I can't believe it!

Takayama_ramen.jpg

Wait. That guy is real?

What is real? What is not? That's all very subjective.

John Williams music is probably less than 50% of what we talk about in General Discussion currently, so I don't think there'll be a really huge change

It turns out he's "Ilaiyaraaja" and not "Iliarajiraja".

Haha, I was closer ;)

Rahman's actually a great composer. His darker contributions to Elizabeth: The Golden Age were the best parts of that score. And he really went above and beyond for the crappy film Couples Retreat with a very colourful score. I even liked Slumdog in parts and 127 Hours had its moments.

It is sad that those who want to make a quick buck off eBay with Williams autographs also blacken the reputation of all fans who would genuinely want to meet the Maestro and have his autograph just for themselves.

It turns out he's "Ilaiyaraaja" and not "Iliarajiraja".

Haha, I was closer ;)

Rahman's actually a great composer. His darker contributions to Elizabeth: The Golden Age were the best parts of that score. And he really went above and beyond for the crappy film Couples Retreat with a very colourful score. I even liked Slumdog in parts and 127 Hours had its moments.

I agree. I've been a big fan of Rahman since the mid 90's, when he did all those excellent scores for Mani Ratnam -- especially the 'terrorist trilogy' (esp. BOMBAY). This was before he made it in Hollywood. LAGAAN is of course another epic score from 2001 that I keep going back to.

As for Ilaiyaraaja, I've never really gone that deep into his work. After all, he has composed 950 friggin' film scores, which makes Ennio Morricone come off as John Corigliano in terms of prolificness. I refuse to believe that the quality can be consistently good with that activity. He's simply been on the backburner for this time, even though I'm a big fan of Bollywood and Indian (non-Bollywood) cinema.

I agree. I've been a big fan of Rahman since the mid 90's, when he did all those excellent scores for Mani Ratnam -- especially the 'terrorist trilogy' (esp. BOMBAY). This was before he made it in Hollywood. LAGAAN is of course another epic score from 2001 that I keep going back to.

As for Ilaiyaraaja, I've never really gone that deep into his work. After all, he has composed 950 friggin' film scores, which makes Ennio Morricone come off as John Corigliano in terms of prolificness. I refuse to believe that the quality can be consistently good with that activity. He's simply been on the backburner for this time, even though I'm a big fan of Bollywood and Indian (non-Bollywood) cinema.

When I first heard of Rahman (this was many years before people heard of him in Slumdog Millionaire), I was really curious so I dug into his Bollywood works and they can be impressive at times. And he's also a fantastic song writer. Loved his songs in Water (with a great score by Mychael Danna). Here are some bits of an end credits cue I found from one his films:

As for Illayarajah, never heard any scores from him and I had no idea he scored that many films. 950 scores?! Crazy...no way he's been composing consistently good scores.

Yeah, I've heard WARRIORS OF HEAVEN AND EARTH. It's pretty good, although not quite to LAGAAN's level, IMO. Or the equally epic JODHAA AKHBAR.

As for ENTHIRAN, this was a huge hit in India a couple of years ago -- a rare Bollywood sci fi -- but it was really bad, especially compared to the gargantuan RA.ONE in 3D (with music by Vishal-Shekhar). I didn't care much for Rahman's score either. It relies too much on the vocoder, which has been a fascination of his for the last few years and which really date his songs, in particular. But still -- some great melodic writing and riffs in there.

My favourite Rahman is still the stuff he did in the 90's.