Disney animation shorts with re-recorded music!

filmmusic

http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118055212

Why? Why? Why?

Why everyone keeps messing with classic pieces of art?

I can understand a restoration (as is done in blurays and when faithful to the original source is outstanding!)

But to re-record the music just to hear it in 5.1??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oliver Wallace, who scored 'Bambi' with the best of symphonic storytelling, could also write a great swing tune that was perfect for a Donald Duck cartoon..." - Mark Watters.

Oliver Wallace DID NOT score the music to Bambi.

Frank Churchill did the music for Bambi. He co-wrote the music with Edward H. Plumb.

...That was a BIG mistake on Watter's part.

"Oliver Wallace, who scored 'Bambi' with the best of symphonic storytelling, could also write a great swing tune that was perfect for a Donald Duck cartoon..." - Mark Watters.

Oliver Wallace DID NOT score the music to Bambi.

Frank Churchill did the music for Bambi. He co-wrote the music with Edward H. Plumb.

...That was a BIG mistake on Watter's part.

That is strange! Maybe he meant to say Dumbo. Maybe that's what he said and the reporter mixed it up. I would think Watters would know his Disney composers!

Anyway, I think it's great idea to re-record it. After all it's the same music, now we get to hear it in clearer sound. It's not as they are re-writing it.

I don't really like 5.1. I don't want to hear the music around me. When you're in a concert hall, you're not in the middle of the orchestra; you sit in front of it.

That's why i also dislike 5.1 surround sound with films. You're not supposed to be 'in' the film. You're the viewer.

well, I ALWAYS prefer the original recordings (with all their flaws), unless there is no original recording and so they record the music using the written score.

Can you imagine E.T. with the music re-recorded? even if it would be played perfectly!

I don't even want to think about it..

That is awful.

Just awful.

I am so thankful for the Walt Disney Treasures sets. Those things are the crown jewel of my media library. Truly classic entertainment.

Those scores should NOT be replaced.

To be clear, these are faithful rerecordings with new technology. They didn't write entirely new scores. Personally, I'm all for it. The original versions still exist if anyone wants them, but honestly, the sound quality of music recorded in the 20s / 30s / 40s is abysmal. Making the shorts sound significantly better to our modern ears is fine by me.

I am fine with faithful reproductions so long as they don't permanently replace the originals. I would buy a set of the re-recorded scores for listening no question.

I mean, I don't want them deciding the visuals aren't up to today's standards and having Pixar (whom I love dearly) recreate the animation to please a modern audience.

I'm fine with their recording it again - I just don't want future releases to only feature the "improved" music, etc. I am a bit of a purist about stuff like that. As long as the originals are always available, then cool.

well, I'm afraid that when Walt Disney treasures will be released in Bluray, they will feature only the rerecorded music!

Disney always messes up its creations!

I wonder what Walt Disney himself would think of this? It is interesting to wonder.

God rest his soul. He was a great man, and a pure genius.

Walt himself would definitely be proud to see his creations restored to brilliant quality.

But it is interesting to wonder how he would feel about the re-recorded music.

Why is the music being re-recorded in the first place? They are not able to restore the original music?

If these ever see home video release in a hi-def format, one would hope that both audio options are available. This isn't without precedent - Disney has actually been pretty good in the past about including their vintage mono mixes.

I wonder what Walt Disney himself would think of this? It is interesting to wonder.

God rest his soul. He was a great man, and a pure genius.

Walt himself would definitely be proud to see his creations restored to brilliant quality.

But it is interesting to wonder how he would feel about the re-recorded music.

Why is the music being re-recorded in the first place? They are not able to restore the original music?

He'd probably be okay with it as long as the musicians weren't black or Jewish.

Dude! Walt Disney was a great man who was NOT prejudice towards Blacks or Jews!!

In fact, he built his dream for ALL good people of creed, and race. He respected the individual and was a true American!

I don't know what your problem is, Koray, but maybe you should think before you speak FALSELY about another person, especially someone as great a man as Walt Disney.

Oh, and by the way, according to the Walt Disney Family Museum, Walt Disney employed Jews throughout his career, donated to several Jewish charities

(The Hebrew Orphan Asylum, Yeshiva College, Jewish Home for the Aged, The American League for a Free Palestine) and was named "1955 Man of the Year" by the B'nai B'rith chapter in Beverly Hills.

He also was pivotal in the American war effort during World War II, when he and his staff created training and instruction films for the military,

home-front morale-boosting shorts such as Der Fuehrer's Face and the 1943 feature film Victory Through Air Power.

@JohnnyD

Well, if he actually was a racist, that doesn't diminsh his greatness in art and his talent. These are 2 differnet things.

Athough, i have heard too that he as a racist. Don't know where does this rumour come from...

HE WAS NOT A RACIST.

It is a FALSE RUMOR in an attempt to diminish his character.

He was a charitable, loving, and caring person who was a true American, and he had a gift of bringing joy and happiness to all people throughout the world.

Because of this, his spirit lives on!

He was a remarkable artist, but he was also quite racist. But generally people were at the time, I don't think he was exceptionally more racist than the norm at the time.

Okay, I am not gonna convince you people that he WAS NOT racist because it is clear to me that you will listen to any rumor that is out there.

Being a true American is not a "pointless angle," by the way. Walt was a family man, a charitable human being, and a man who cherished life

and unless you have a legitimate source to back your claim that Walt Disney was racist, then there is no point in saying it, because you are obviously living in a lie.

I have seen both many times, and there is nothing in both films that would suggest racism, so unless you have any REAL source, I suggest you end your argument.

Ok, now seriously, unless someone here is a member of Disney's family or a close friend, NOBODY really knows what the man was. He could be anything..

(well, even a family member couldn't know about someone. E.g my own mother doesn't know who I am :))

So, i can't understand the passion in defending one or the other opinion..

I'm not sure about Disney being racist. It was quite an ambiguous thing back then. I'm inclined to think h might have been but it wasn't an extraordinary thing and nobody took much notice of it. All we know is that the persecution he supported was political, not based in the looks of people.

As for the rerecording of the shorts, I do tend to find many recordings of that time unlistenable. So I don't know what to think.

A black centaur with thick lips shining the hooves of a white centaur doesn't suggest racism at all, nope. They just cut it from the film because they felt like it.

well, on the other hand, if you project an image that people of that time are accustomed too, that doesn't mean you're racist.

but again, nobody knows, so i think it's better to leave out this discussion.

There is no point..

Oh, come now Koray. It was a different time...

Then you wonder why people here complain about Zimmer...

It was a different time, but that isn't an excuse for it. Zimmer has nothing to do with this.

A black centaur with thick lips shining the hooves of a white centaur doesn't suggest racism at all, nope. They just cut it from the film because they felt like it.

well, on the other hand, if you project an image that people of that time are accustomed too, that doesn't mean you're racist.

but again, nobody knows, so i think it's better to leave out this discussion.

There is no point..

These are cartoons of animals, not people. They are stereotypical caricatures, in other words, racist.

I'm not familiar enough with all of Disney's works to say whether they're racist or not, but I have heard a lot of other inaccurate interpretations of his works (i.e. Disney was a stoner because the 7 dwarves represent the 7 stages of cocaine addiction).

But as far as Disney being a Nazi supporter, that is absolutely untrue. I read a fantastic biography of Disney, and it argues that these rumors have no basis in fact.

http://www.amazon.co...l gabler disney

I am very familiar with Disney's work, as I have done extensive research on his life, and I can assure you that the man was NOT racist. He was a hard working American, a caring family man, and a

true innovator who loved spreading joy through his gift to people all over the world.

It was a different time. Disney's works had stereotypes as did Merrie Melodies an so many other things. He crows in Dumbo were a stereotype of that day. Do was What makes the Redman Red from Peter Pan. I don't think they're inherently malicious. He also must have hate fathers since so few of his films. Actually, he did maybe have some father issues.

I need to call my friend Carl. His favorite movie of all time is Dumbo...ever since we were kids. He's also black (he despises the term African-American). I will call him and inform him that he needs to be offended by that joyful little film.

Admittedly, I am an unabashed Disney fanatic though and I think he's brought great joy to people all over the world.

That being said, is it more noteworthy that Disney has never released Song of the South on advanced media, or is it more significant that they consider it the pink elephant, red-headed stepchild, or otherwise don't even acknowledge its existence?

My son watches these shorts all the time - I've been trying to get him hooked on the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, too. I'm glad I wasn't going insane! I kept listening to those shorts and thinking "That music is WAY to clear!!! They must have re-recorded them!"

My wife thought I was nuts. Still does, but for different reasons.

The thing of it is, the new recordings don't fit with the visuals. I can't explain it. It's not that they don't sync up or anything. It's like - you know you're seeing something that "analog", but you're not hearing something that's analog. It's rather jarring.

That being said, is it more noteworthy that Disney has never released Song of the South on advanced media, or is it more significant that they consider it the pink elephant, red-headed stepchild, or otherwise don't even acknowledge its existence?

They acknowledge the animated parts in Splash Mountain, which thousands of people ride every day. But as far as many of them are likely concerned, it is not based on a movie.

They should release it. It is a fun little film. James Baskett was even award an academy award. I saw it in kindergarten during its limited rerelease in 1986.

It is a shame that today's hyper politically correct environment has kept this one in he vaults. I was hopeful that I would be released under the Walt Disney Treasures line with the obligatory, "We'd never make this today" introduction by Leonard Maltin.

Thankfully, I have a bootleg from the Korean laserdisc. Maybe someday Disney will revive its Treasures line (literally one of the best DVD series ever produced).

They acknowledge the animated parts in Splash Mountain, which thousands of people ride every day. But as far as many of them are likely concerned, it is not based on a movie.

Fair enough. Plus, the song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" is known to all.

IN keeping with the "we'd never make this today," that's why Warner Brothers got Whoopie Goldberg to introduce many of the more sensitive Looney Tunes shorts on their DVD releases.