[4:11-5:22] of The Siege of Gondor

Bellosh

Is there anything in any previous film scores that compares to this minute of amazingness?

lttp: I have fully devoured the Return of the King score, I can't get out, nor do I want to.

edit: No seriously, I really would like to hear other stuff that compares to it!

Personally that's not even close to the highlight of that score, let alone the entire trilogy. There any many other passages I enjoy more (Not that there's anything wrong with that passage, it is pretty great :) )

Personally that's not even close to the highlight of that score, let alone the entire trilogy. There any many other passages I enjoy more (Not that there's anything wrong with that passage, it is pretty great :) )

I agree, it's nowhere near my favorite part.

But does anything else compare to it's brutal epicness in film score history?

Does anything compare to The Return of the King score in the history of film music?

I'm going through the thoughts that ROTK is the greatest score of all time.

That thought is going through your head?

I came to that conclusion years ago.

"The Siege Of Gondor" is IMO the best action/drama piece of the last 30 years, at the very least.

Howard Shore has found the perfect balance of bringing out the sheer brutality and drama without resorting to clichee once.

If there's something I hate it's a thread dedicated to a 5 second segment of a LotR music claiming it's the most epic piece of music ever written

I can probably come up with gadzillion more epic moments, especially from Williams and a lot of other composers .

LotR is VASTLY overrated.

Does anything compare to The Return of the King score in the history of film music?

It's good, but I prefer both FOTR and TTT over it, not to mention some other scores by other composers. But it is indeed amazing, especially considering what else passes for music in the last 15 years

It's allright. I even have some videogame scores that I think are better

Some people at JWfan (gkgyver,Belloch and a few others) worship LotR above all other film scores and feel compelled to start a thread like this from time to time

RotK is my favorite from the trilogy, and while it isn't my favorite score I could understand how it might be for somebody else. It is a true masterpiece. The only downside is it takes 9+ hours to fully appreciate it.

Did I mention I find large portions of Star Wars tedious and boring?

yeah you did, that's why your opinion doesn't count

No, this thread wasn't about praising the score for what it is

it's like LOTR ARE THE BEST SCORES EVER WRITTEN, DON'T YOU JWFANS GET THAT!!!

No, this thread wasn't about praising the score for what it is

it's like LOTR ARE THE BEST SCORES EVER WRITTEN, DON'T YOU JWFANS GET THAT!!!

No, it's not like that.

Did I mention I find large portions of Star Wars tedious and boring?

yeah you did, that's why your opinion doesn't count

Tell that to Thor next time he reveals he can't go through Star Wars.

The fun. Oh, the fun.

For me, The Siege Of Gondor really shines between 6:26 and 7:22. It's probably because in the middle of this huge action piece it comes back to characters we care about and I really like Shore does it with only a kind of outline version of the Fellowship theme.

Extreme overpraising of LotR has annoyed me since 2001.

I can't help myself but to reply like this every time.

Get over it, and let the people who DO enjoy the scores talk about it. Thanks.

Have you heard of this gentleman called Miklós Rósza?

No, it's not.

yes it is by the opening statement:

Is there anything in any previous film scores that compares to this minute of amazingness.

Especially on a Williams board where the guy has thousands of individual score moments that are more amazing than this

Also Lawrence of Arabia is much more epic than anything in The Siege of Gondor. And so are several of Goldsmith's and Williams' works.

Yeah the minute comment is really ridiculous. I want to think he's enthusiastic about everything he listens to and the moment you get into something other stuff disappears from your mind for a while. It happens to me.

King Mark, you got me all wrong.

have you ever listened to The Siege of Gondor? :o

And I would to know one of those gadzillion moments that compare to it.

Get yourself a copy of El Cid by Miklós Rósza and listen to it from beginning to end. That for a start.

Homework, homework to do before making ridiculous claims.

Also a bit presumptous to assume someone hasn't even listened to The Siege of Gondor just because he doesn't agree with you.

Also Lawrence of Arabia is much more epic than anything in The Siege of Gondor. And so are several of Goldsmith's and Williams' works.

Yeah the minute comment is really ridiculous. I want to think he's enthusiastic about everything he listens to and the moment you get into something other stuff disappears from your mind for a while. It happens to me.

Not familiar enough with Lawrence of Arabia, but I will check it out. Remember this thread was asking an honest question.

Goldsmith & Williams have a moment like this in their scores? Nope. Please tell me what moment compares to it.

And no, I have not forgot about other stuff, that moment is just that good. Crack of Doom almost beats it, though.

edit: still waiting King Mark

I still prefer The Bridge Of Khazad-Dum to any action / epic piece from TTT or ROTK. It's a completely brilliant 8 minutes of film scoring.

Khazam-Dum is a part of my younger days. Jesus. It was so awesome.

Not familiar enough with Lawrence of Arabia, but I will check it out. Remember this thread was asking an honest question.

Goldsmith & Williams have a moment like this in their scores? Nope. Please tell me what moment compares to it.

And no, I have not forgot about other stuff, that moment is just that good. Crack of Doom almost beats it, though.

I assume you like battle choirs so a classic where battle choirs are concerned ;):

[media=]

Get yourself a copy of El Cid by Miklós Rósza and listen to it from beginning to end. That for a start.

Homework, homework to do before making ridiculous claims.

Also a bit presumptous to assume someone hasn't even listened to The Siege of Gondor just because he doesn't agree with you.

I wasn't making a ridiculous claim, I was asking a question.

That section of The Siege of Gondor isn't great. It only sounds like a slightly better written version of the generic "epic" choir trailer music we hear in every friggen goddam trailer nowadays

The Siege of Gondor isn't great. It sounds like a slightly better written version of the generic "epic" trailer music we hear so much nowadays

I think it's quite good, it's like a transition music used to create tension between the good stuff.

My god, have you people even listened to some of Ilaharaja's work?

Oh is that a Williams piece?

:lol:

Anyways the Williams equivalent of this type of "epic choir music" is in Anakin's Dark Deeds, which is a superior composition of course

I like my epic music happy, positive or adrenalinic. If affects me way more.

Anything "sad" is probably the most difficult emotion to put into music, and to my ears most attemps tend to miss the mark constantly.

Fuck, I hadn't listened to Anakin's Dark Deeds in ages. Whoah. Siege of Gondor? What?

I wish JW had had the time, inclination or obssesion for detailed Wagnerian writing to compose for LOTR. He remains the composer I connect the most.

No, it's not.

yes it is by the opening statement:

Is there anything in any previous film scores that compares to this minute of amazingness.

Especially on a Williams board where the guy has thousands of individual score moments that are more amazing than this

It doesn't seem like this has been strictly a JW board for years now.

Ok I get it now, honestly,

this is like my hatred for Adele, I have no reason to hate her music, but I just do. It makes me want to stab my brain. Even if she created something so amazing, I'd still hate it.

I understand this now, your Adele is the LOTR scores.

I'm cool with that. Interested in the Goldsmith cue(s), don't have much of his stuff.

Maybe I'm associating what's actually happening on screen with this beloved minute in the Siege, because lets face it, the Battle for Middle Earth > any Star Wars battle.

Maybe this is all becoming more clear to me.

Maybe I'm associating what's actually happening on screen with this beloved minute in the Siege, because lets face it, the Battle for Middle Earth > any Star Wars battle.

Which Middle-Earth battle? Because I can come up with lots of strategical and visual complaints about some of them.

Extreme overpraising of LotR has annoyed me since 2001.

I can't help myself but to reply like this every time.

No offense, but you act like a fanboy who can't get over the fact that Williams lost to Fellowship at the Academy Awards 2002.

The difference between you and me is that while I find large parts of Star Wars tedious, I recognise Williams' achievement. You, on the other hand, find praise for LOTR almost a sacrilege, and trash Shore's enormous achievements.

That is why I feel no respect for your rants.

I don't hate these scores , I can recognize there's a few great highlights but overall very overrated by people that have a strong emotional attachment to the films themselves.

Which Middle-Earth battle? Because I can come up with lots of strategical and visual complaints about some of them.

In terms of epic-ness. That should not be a debate?

um, well I guess the Battle of Pelennor Fields, because that's what's going on in the cue.

Yes it should!

Maybe I should open a thread. "Chaac comments the battle of the Pelennor Field and reminds us of animal behavior in battle and pre-Medieval and Medieval combat tactics." The battles in the LOTR films are actually kind of silly.

I don't hate these scores , there's a few great highlights but overall very overrated by people that have a strong emotional attachment to the films themselves.

They ARE NOT overrated. They have EVERYTHING you need in a score.

And my emotional attachment to the films is not what you think, granted I do love them.

But you're trying to tell me you don't hold your Star Wars soundtracks way up high because you don't have a strong emotional attachment to those films, Mr. Vader?