The Dark Knight Rises SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Oh, so much to say here. I won't try to respond to all criticisms at the moment, but I will say that I definitely loved this film. I was both satisfied with it as a conclusion and also relieved that, IMO, they really pulled this thing off. While I enjoyed TDK a lot, it left me with some nagging issues, and TDKR almost completely addressed those. Alfred's speech to Bruce was excellent--moving, and addressing the beefs I had with the conclusion of TDK. In fact, I love the fact that this film is, in many ways, a response to the Joker's philosophies and the actions taken on both sides in that film. I've felt that there's been a bit of a Tyler Durden effect with the Joker that I find more disturbing than anything in this film, and the reason I find the film less disturbing is because it's saying, "Yeah, it's all manipulation. This doesn't go anywhere good." You could argue that the execution of that could've been more potent, but I'm glad Nolan went where he did with the film. Having seen it in a marathon at the theater (which I'm SO glad I did), I see a very clear growth arc with the three films: the young optimism of Begins (at least by the ending), the adolescent confrontation with previously unmet darkness and evil in TDK, and finally the facing of truth and reality with a balanced maturity, neither naively ignorant or fatalistically bleak.

I thought the music was, in many ways, an improvement, with an expanded palette of chromatic melody (Selina Kyle) and orchestration (the trumpet runs associated with Bane's actions). There were even some rather memorable musical moments--I quite appreciated the handling of (I think) the second attempt to escape from the pit, with the slowing string passage. Seeing all three films, I found that, partly in TDK, but even moreso in TDKR, a lot of times the weak link was the heroic moments for Batman. I felt that Zimmer fell back too much on what always seemed like a tracked bit for Batman suiting up for the climax of Begins--one of my least favorite musical moments from the film, BTW. It was almost as if he spent so much effort on scoring everything else that he didn't put any into finding interesting ways of varying the heroic material. I do think that, given the fact that he wasn't going to simply change the entire style on the third film, we got about as good a score as we could have hoped for.

Even though spoilers are allowed here, I am reticent to speak on the ending since people are reading here that haven't seen it. I will say that I thought it was superb, and even though it theoretically could have gone certain ways, I feel that the ending we were given best suits the trilogy as a whole, and puts the thing in perspective as the story of Bruce Wayne in an amazing way. It really makes the grounded tone of the films make a whole lot of sense, because they have managed to both pay tribute to the established mythos and go in a different direction from many incarnations up to this point.

Alright, got back from my second viewing of the film. I certainly enjoyed it more this time around. I still stand by my original gripes with the execution. It's still clunky and rough around the edges. Too many flashbacks, silly moments/cliches a bit irritating, and there is still a sense that this film really fails to live up to its potential. But I've come to appreciate it for what it is, it's simply an action flick. The other Batman films were more than that, especially The Dark Knight. And while TDKR has the potential to push the boundaries and delve into the roots of its dark themes, it still fails to do so. I thought the first hour was very solid and great because it gives an idea of the approaching storm is really going to shake things (although a little more reluctance on Wayne's part to take on the cape would have been nice). When things finally arrive, it disappoints. I realize the showcase of anarchy was done rather well, but the post-chaos mode doesn't do too well to show how life is under Bane's tyranny, and how Gotham's morality was degraded.

Like I said, I still stand by most of my original criticisms (there were some that were needless), but I can enjoy this for the good action flick it is. It simply lacks the mastery that Nolan's previous entries in the franchise had.

Oh and I like JGL's character more now, even if he is muddled with the most cliches in the film. I think the best new cast member performance was Anne Hathaway.

I'm torn on your comments here. One the one hand, I don't think Bane's menace or the post-chaos condition was untouched on--in fact, I thought it was quite well done in a lot of ways. On the other hand, I get the sense that some material that might've pushed the film to the territory of a light R wouldn't have done the film any harm either. I'll have to see the film again, but I didn't have any immediate issues with either facet of the film.

Bane's menace is touched upon in his in his earlier appearances. But after the chaos, he doesn't sustain it. I came in wanting to be truly frightened by this character, and I can see all that being pulled off until the conclusion of the chaos.

And I don't think the film explored the post-chaos condition as extensively as I would have like it to be. It's simply the gang on the all too familiar "get rid of the bomb" mission.

I think I'll probably warm up to this film a lot more. But its not as polished as Nolan's other films, nor is it executed with the same precision. And like I said, I think its a good action film, better than most generic fare, but disappointing still with its flaws.

This is a great but imperfect film. It's conclusion is very satisfying and somewhat emotional. I managed to avoid spoilers. However the film does telegraph several plot points, or by content or structure.

Anne Hathaway is hot, lovely, stunning, and wonderful. Joseph Levitt Gordon has again given Nolan exactly what he needed. This kid is our next great actor.

Tom Hardy is very physical and he's hampered by the mask and yet he delivers. I do wish he had been unmasked.

It was apparent from nearly the beginning that Miranda is not who she seems. And though she and Bruce have sex, there is no fire, no chemistry there. The heat is reserved for Selina, and that my folks is the give away that Miranda is bad.

What can you say, Michael Cain, you're a world treasure. You made my eyes moist you limey basterd.

I came away wanting to see the film again. I can't wait to own it and dissect it in my head.

Is it as good as the Dark Knight, no. Does it have to be so it can entertain, absolutely not.

If I rate it against the other summer blockbusters there isn't any comparison. The Bat rules.

Gotta say that Harry Knowles is brain dead here. He complains that this is the largest atomic bomb in a very modern world.

Dumbass it's a designed fusion reactor, not a bomb. It's been converted to such and that explains the size.

Hans Zimmer's score is not very good, but it isn't terrible, and it delivers continuity which works.

In the end the Batman is incorruptable. He never goes that one step that can never be justified.

I love that each of those that loved Bruce get there own moment of revelation that he has survived. Gordon's Batsignal, Lucius' discover that the autopilot was upgraded, Blake's discovery of the Batcave, and of course Alfred's wonderful Florence fantasy come true.

So Bruce Wayne is dead right?

No. That's all I'm going to say.

Overall, I thought the film was terrific. Nolan should've done another pass in the editing room to quicken the pace in the middle, since it really dragged on. I fully understand Nolan probably did this to make the audience feel like the film takes place over several months, and not several days or weeks, but still. And Anne Hathaway's Catwoman feels underused... I wanted more of her. Hathaway was an absolute scene-stealer in almost every scene she had.

And Tom Hardy... I felt underwhelmed overall. In some scenes, I felt scared of him but in the rest, I didn't particularly scared or sympathetic towards him. He did a fine job with what he had with wearing the mask and letting his eyes express his emotions. Wasn't fond of the voice though.

But the last 25-30 minutes of the film are just sublime. It turned a decent final film into a good one. Not great, but very good.

The peak of Bane's menace is probably the first confrontation with him and Batman, which was phenomenal. There were people gasping when he lifted Batman over his head. I'll have to see the film again to comment on the post-chaos element, but I am wondering whether things would've needed to be cut to allow for that (and if so, what?) or whether it simply would've been fine being another five to ten minutes longer, and simply be three hours proper.

As to the polish, I actually felt the opposite. Seeing the films back-to-back-to-back at the theater, I felt like I did watching Leone's "Man With No Name" trilogy, seeing the production value and skill rise with each film. Granted, a significant part of this may be the fact that Wally Pfister is a champ, and the look and camerawork of TDKR was so good. I do derive A LOT of my impressions of a film from the feel I get from the cinematography. I also felt--and have felt, that there's a certain something to TDK that has always been a bit off--I don't necessarily want to say it's erratic, but it may be an intentional effort to put the viewer on edge according to the Joker's actions. But I feel that that film could have been stretched slightly. There are things in the script that I wish had been kept in--the Joker's exit from the fundraiser, additional dialogue in the final confrontation with Harvey--and even shots I wanted to last longer, the most irritating one being the shot of Bruce and Alfred leaving the bunker for the last time (I wanted to see the last light go out, or at least just a few more. It seemed the shot was leading that way, and then the scene just cuts away as soon as the dialogue is done). I didn't recall much of any feelings like that with TDKR.

Hans Zimmer's score is not very good, but it isn't terrible, and it delivers continuity which works.

You're on a roll Joey! No downright hatred for a Zimmer score? :o

And Tom Hardy... I felt underwhelmed overall. In some scenes, I felt scared of him but in the rest, I didn't particularly scared or sympathetic towards him. He did a fine job with what he had with wearing the mask and letting his eyes express his emotions. Wasn't fond of the voice though.

I didn't like how the film was trying to humanize Bane. It completely deprives the character of his fear factor. I don't want to sympathize with Bane. I want to fear him!! And there were only a few moments where that happened. And Delorean mentioned the first confrontation with Batman, which I felt was very well done. Definitely nailed the menace there. But that doesn't keep up.

if someone would just spin him like a top he'd develop his own orbital plane and we'd be done with him.

that's a small moon,

no, it's a space station.

I have a bad feeling about this.

It's not a space station it's Harry Knowles,

LOL

I have a tough time with AICN. It can be a good source for info and trailers and stuff, but it's bad enough reading talkbackers. Sometimes the reviews are infuriating as well.

I've just came back from the IMAX screening and I must admit I liked the film a lot better than yesterday. It seems much clearer now what the narrative is, which is a norm with Nolan's output. There are still some things that don't make sense or are a bit silly, but such things also appeared in the previous one. The whole thing entertained me this time, which I had a problem with yesterday. So yeah, I now officially like it.

Oh and there is a lot of IMAX footage this time. Sometimes just single city shots but it pops up more often than in TDK. Now this is how you make a big film, you can see how most of these chases and fights were done mostly CGI free. This film needs to be watched this way. Now THIS is a spectacular way to experience a film. Epic.

Oh and I got used to Tom Hardy's voice. It sounds a bit like some cliche Bond villain from the 60's and 70's. But that adds fun to the character. Did I mention Anne Hathaway is one of the best things in this film?

Karol

I didn't seem to have trouble here Tom Hardy, though he sounded more like Sean Connery.

Good film. Seen it twice, although a question was raised in my group if Selina was wearing Bruce's mother's pearl necklace in that shot at the end. I didn't take any notice but I'll look out for it when I get the BD.

I didn't seem to have trouble here Tom Hardy, though he sounded more like Sean Connery.

It's not so much the voice thats the problem. It's the voice's mix in the film. But you eventually get used to it.

I've just came back from the IMAX screening and I must admit I liked the film a lot better than yesterday. It seems much clearer now what the narrative is, which is a norm with Nolan's output. There are still some things that don't make sense or are a bit silly, but such things also appeared in the previous one. The whole thing entertained me this time, which I had a problem with yesterday. So yeah, I now officially like it.

Yes, but the silliness and fallacies were far more abundant here than they were in previous films. Also, the previous two entries didn't suffer from the messy execution of this film. As ambitious as it is, its not as clean as I expect Nolan's films to be, which is why I still think it might be Nolan's weakest film. You can tell this movie is more brawn than brain. But like yourself, it entertained me this time as well. So I can appreciate it for being an enjoyable action movie.

Did I mention Anne Hathaway is one of the best things in this film?

Indeed! I wish she had more airtime.

I loved Bane's voice. Especially his "holding lapel/suspender" pose he seems to do a LOT on the movie. Makes him look so proud.

What I thought was weird though was how Bruce damages his mask. He should've broken the whole thing or taken it off of him, to mirror the sewer fight. But instead we get one nozzle being broken? He has like 9 others! does one less really matter?

Well maybe it does.

I have a question though: what did Talia's mom do to deserve to be killed? I remember something happening, the other prisoners attacking her, Talia stabbing one, but Bane saves her and hugs her.

And how old is Bane exactly? 40, if he was about 20 when he helped a 10 year old Talia escape?

I have a question though: what did Talia's mom do to deserve to be killed? I remember something happening, the other prisoners attacking her, Talia stabbing one, but Bane saves her and hugs her.

I assumed they simply wanted to rape her. She was the only woman in the prison after all.

I loved this movie. I 've been talking about it and thinking about ever since I got out of the theater. Its the perfect conclusion to the trilogy. I plan on going to see it again in Imax. I'll probably wait a week or so for the crowds to die down.

Bane and Batman's first encounter was intense. Batman got his ass kicked and you realized that he could not handle Bane at all. I had the same reaction in my audience when Bane raised Batman over his head. There was an audible gasp and shock that Batman just got beaten and beaten bad.

Yes, but the silliness and fallacies were far more abundant here than they were in previous films. Also, the previous two entries didn't suffer from the messy execution of this film. As ambitious as it is, its not as clean as I expect Nolan's films to be, which is why I still think it might be Nolan's weakest film. You can tell this movie is more brawn than brain. But like yourself, it entertained me this time as well. So I can appreciate it for being an enjoyable action movie.

It is ironically his most ambitious and his weakest film - both at the same time. The scale and emotion of the thing can't be underestimatd, but its flaws are more apparent. But, as I said, I enjoy the film. It's not quite as messy or unbalanced as I thought it was at first. In fact, it moves at the very fast speed, just that there is a lot story to cover.

Indeed! I wish she had more airtime.

Indeed, both her and Bane lose some importance as the film progresses.

Anyway, there is one flaw that I found distracting. When Talia reveals herself she says there are 11 minutes left til the bomb goes off. But when Batman is already chasing the convoy with The Bat it's still 10 and a half? It's not possible, is it?

Karol

this movie was Rocky III with a side of terrorism.

Saw this thing last night in IMAX. I'm still not completely sure what to think of it. I'm going to have to see it again. I definitely liked it, but I feel as though I need to reconcile a lot of what it did, namely with the sheer number of characters and plotting that it has. The ending threw me a bit for a loop and I wasn't sure if I was totally satisfied by it, but after sleeping on it and ruminating on it (which this film practically forces you to do) I've decided that it works very, very, well.

I, for one, loved Bane. The voice had a great dichotomy to his appearance. I was shocked by how large and imposing he was on screen.

Saw this thing last night in IMAX. I'm still not completely sure what to think of it. I'm going to have to see it again. I definitely liked it, but I feel as though I need to reconcile a lot of what it did, namely with the sheer number of characters and plotting that it has. The ending threw me a bit for a loop and I wasn't sure if I was totally satisfied by it, but after sleeping on it and ruminating on it (which this film practically forces you to do) I've decided that it works very, very, well.

I, for one, loved Bane. The voice had a great dichotomy to his appearance. I was shocked by how large and imposing he was on screen.

Most people have the same kind of reaction to it, Wed Wabbit. I can tell you the second viewing clarifies a lot.

By the way, you don't seem to post a lot on here these days. Why is that?

Karol

In the opening scenes I felt dread when Bane was on screen but later on they pussify him and he loses all of his intimidation factor.

This.

They should never have tried to humanize him.

What do you mean when you say "not as clean"? I would like to respond, but it would depend on how you mean this.

What I thought was weird though was how Bruce damages his mask. He should've broken the whole thing or taken it off of him, to mirror the sewer fight. But instead we get one nozzle being broken? He has like 9 others! does one less really matter?

Well maybe it does.

As I recall, Batman did quite a number on it. I remember Talia putting back several pieces.

What do you mean when you say "not as clean"? I would like to respond, but it would depend on how you mean this.

I think what he means is that the film doesn't move through its narrative as smoothly as the previous two. Not as tight, if you will. The Dark Knight Rises is more sprawling and much slower.

Karol

One thing I'm curious about, and this may have already been mentioned, is how anarchy ruled in Gotham for 5 months without some sort of federal assistance. If this happened to a city in America there would be US army members patrolling the streets, we wouldn't be relying on the local police department.

In the opening scenes I felt dread when Bane was on screen but later on they pussify him and he loses all of his intimidation factor.

This.

They should never have tried to humanize him.

I said this 70 posts ago!

I saw it last night. Thought it was outstanding! A near perfect end to what has become one of the great trilogies (in my opinion).

I can't quite get my head around some of the criticism I've seen, especially over at AICN. The actions and motivations of Batman are completely valid within the established Batman universe. It's a combination of The Dark Knight Returns and Knightfall.

Although I felt his voice was oddly disconnected from the screen (clearly some badly mixed ADR going on), I really enjoyed Bane. Got a bit of a kick out of him suddenly sounded much more like Darth Vader than he usually did during his first encounter with Batman. Then when the big moment came at the end of that fight I gasped with the audience too. A very nice nod to the comic book fans as Nolan virtually took a panel from the comic and brought it to life as Bane lifted Bats over his head.

Batman-Knightfall-Who-Rules-The-Night-DC-Comics-Trinity-Comics-Review.jpg

I felt a lump developing in my throat and my eyes getting wet a few times, usually whenever Alfred was speaking to Bruce and I loved the pay off at the end for Alfred's fantasy.

Anne Hathaway surprised me. She really did steal her scenes and I wanted to see more of her.

The action was great and well executed. I can't wait to see it again but this time in IMAX. My brother doesn't like the format so I had to see it at AMC in Manchester while visiting home. Slightly annoyed that Birmingham no longer has an IMAX cinema so I'll have to either travel back to Manchester or somewhere else to see it properly.

The music was a bit overbearing a lot of the time. Ultimately though I think it serves the film well enough. It's just been mixed a little bit too full on.

Overall, I loved it. It's a tough call for me between this and The Dark Knight.

Anyone else get a huge kick out of Cillian Murphy's cameo? Or is that just my mancrush talking?

Loved it.

"Very well. Death... by exile!" *slams hammer down*

"Sold--to the man in the cold sweat!" Great stuff.

I'm pretty much with you across the board, Alan. Why would your brother not like IMAX?

I think what he means is that the film doesn't move through its narrative as smoothly as the previous two. Not as tight, if you will. The Dark Knight Rises is more sprawling and much slower.

Well, for me that's a plus. I've felt that TDK is a film that could be stretched just a little bit, and at least a couple of things exist to make that happen: I think the scene of Joker leaving the fundraiser should've been kept in; the missing dialogue from the climax should've been kept in; shots could've lasted a little longer (if I only had one shot to extend, it would be Bruce and Alfred leaving the bunker for the last time--let the lights go out.). Also, little things like splitting the scenes of Gordon coming home after the chase irks me a bit. One person said that TDK can have the feeling of a long montage, and I kind of get that. There was a constant state of things happening, which may have been intentional to reflect the Joker's effects on the characters and the city at large, but I felt like TDKR had a more smooth organic flow, and a more steady hand at work.

Well I just saw the film and on the whole I liked it quite a bit. The most obnoxious thing about the film was the music though. It was mixed way too loud (as was the whole soundmix in general) and Zimmer's endless rhythmic crashing threatened to turn me deaf several times.

I'm pretty much with you across the board, Alan. Why would your brother not like IMAX?

I saw it in IMAX, and the problem is if you're sitting to far in the front your neck and eyes are crammed upwards for the entire film.

After seeing this again my liking of it was cemented a lot more. The whole film felt much more cohesive the second time around, and characters that I thought were a bit underused suddenly felt much better handled. It still has issues and things that I'd would have done differently, but they weren't as detracting from the experience. I don't think it's totally necessary or useful to compare it to TDK, but if this isn't as good as that movie it isn't by a whole lot. The ending affected me even more.

There's some mixed opinions regarding it now, but I think time will be kind to this movie, especially when people start looking at through the prism of its predecessors.

He gets motion sickness. I'd rather we all got to see the film and enjoy it than see it in IMAX and my brother come out feeling like he'd gone 10 rounds with Bane :)

I'll see it in IMAX eventually though so I'm not too concerned.

I saw it in IMAX, and the problem is if you're sitting to far in the front your neck and eyes are crammed upwards for the entire film.

I think I read an interview with the cinematographer where he said that they deliberately framed the IMAX scenes to be "bottom heavy" meaning that most of the important stuff happens in the lower third of the IMAX screen. They did it to try and avoid having people straining their necks too much to catch the important action. Same with character faces. Their eye line would be lower on the screen than usual. Probably also made it easier to crop for the standard version too.

He gets motion sickness. I'd rather we all got to see the film and enjoy it than see it in IMAX and my brother come out feeling like he'd gone 10 rounds with Bane :)

I'll see it in IMAX eventually though so I'm not too concerned.

I think I read an interview with the cinematographer where he said that they deliberately framed the IMAX scenes to be "bottom heavy" meaning that most of the important stuff happens in the lower third of the IMAX screen. They did it to try and avoid having people straining their necks too much to catch the important action. Same with character faces. Their eye line would be lower on the screen than usual. Probably also made it easier to crop for the standard version too.

So do we see more of Catwoman's butt when she's squatting in the IMAX version?

SPOILERS AHEAD, obviously.

I saw this and liked it, but didn't really know how much I liked it. I saw it again and liked it less.

To those who thought TDK was overplotted, this is worse. And TDK, despite being written to the brim, at least has the beats timed quite perfectly. It had the appropriate number of core, intertwining characters (Batman/Bruce, the Joker, Dent/Two-Face), and the dynamics between them were very well done. Here there are more new, important charcters, and as a result the film loses focus. Catwoman doesn't really fit in with any one character's arc (except for Bruce at the end, but I didn't think it was convincing), but she's lively, witty, playful and just entertaining. Blake, on the other hand, bored me. In a world where morality is constantly being questions, he was too black and white, and in a very humourless, stiff manner. JGL does not bring any excitement at all to his character. And the scenes with him helping the orphans really bogged the film down. They should have been axed altogether. I loved how it finally pans out for Blake with that little nod, but is it sufficient to justify such a previously boring character? No. Captain Foley was also another boring character.

Bane was pretty scary in the first half, up to the point where he breaks Batman. But after that his command of the screen severely diminishes, and I get the feeling Nolan didn't want him to eclipse the collapse of civilisation concept. However even this collapse wasn't very well done. The film didn't venture beyond a few rogue Tumblers patrolling the city, thugs killing policemen, and a lawless court sentence process (I believe KK mentioned this). Nolan's vision and execution were obviously lacking here.

There is very little Batman in this, and he doesn't appear until the 45th minute mark, but when he does finally appear, damn... the whole cinema felt like roaring! And the molossus theme was used well here. Bruce featues more prominently in this film, and his character is very well served. Christian Bale is excellent, especially in that farewell scene with Alfred. I have a complain about that scene actually, I really wished the camera lingered longer on Bruce as he walked up the stairs, to let the gravity of the scene sink in. But no, Nolan being true to his fashion, cannot wait to move on, and the scene cuts abruptly to Bruce waking up the next day, and with a joke no less. Whatever impact there was vanishes.

The ending is by far the best thing about the film. It ties up everything and everyone very nicely. But again, I really wished it was presented slightly different. I would have pushed the Robin Rising last shot to the front, and the last shot would be Alfred sitting at the table, looking up at the camera, and simply... smile. That would have been much nicer, I think.

P/S: The score was mostly horrible, especially the last hour or so. It's pounding ALL THE TIME, and it's mixed so damn loud. Most of the new material (except for the catwoman theme) sounds really uninspired, like those loud, tense strings that is used when Bruce is climbing up the wall (if I'm not mistaken).

Blake, on the other hand, bored me. In a world where morality is constantly being questions, he was too black and white, and in a very humourless, stiff manner. JGL does not bring any excitement at all to his character. And the scenes with him helping the orphans really bogged the film down. They should have been axed altogether. I loved how it finally pans out for Blake with that little nod, but is it sufficient to justify such a previously boring character? No. Captain Foley was also another boring character.

I've been trying to figure out how to explain why I didn't like this character. Thank you for doing it for me ;)

I just saw this and give me my 6 € back. This was the last time I'll watch a superhero movie again and probably any movie in theater.

It was so damn loud and hansu's music? is not only boring, I didn't know was I watching Gladiator, Inception or what.

And the mess it overall was is good because the true fans will watch it multiple times. Dollars.

Oh thank you hansu for the wailing whatever/who cares when Bat took the bomb, I didn't see it coming... :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Edited by hornist, now days deaf

Oh thank you hansu for the wailing woman when Bat took the bomb, I didn't see it coming... :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

There's a huge difference between wailing women and a boy soprano!!! And that part is not unique to this score, it already showed up in Batman Begins.

Yet it rang oh so hollow in this latest score at least. A worn and weary cliché as much as the ever pounding drums.