The Dark Knight Rises SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Either Batman is mind blowingly incredible or your nights out were rubbish!

Seriously, why wouldn't I want to watch the latest movie of my favourite directors several times? Especially when shot in such an unique way (IMAX)?

I've seen The Lord of the Rings movies 5 times each and I don't even like them as much.

I just happen to love watching films on big screen. Blu-Ray and DVD just don't do it for me. It's better than alcohol, drugs, sex and certainly love. ;)

(Hey, why can't I "like" my posts anymore?)

Karol

(Hey, why can't I "like" my posts anymore?)

After Wojo's unending rampage of self-"likes", Jason took the liberty of disabling that privilege. ;)

That's a shame. I post a lot of quality stuff. ;)

five times for a movie that you don't care for much?

Yeah, skiving back at school. Those were the days. If you're referring to LOTR, of course.

As for Nolan's films, I've always seen them at least three times. I just like them so much. TDKR is the most clunky of all of them, but there is still so much to enjoy about it.

Karol

Well today I finally saw The Dark Knight Rises. To me it's definitely the best of the three Nolan films. It sort of sucks that Nolan won't be making any more but I wonder if someone else will and if Christine Bale, Gary Oldman and others will return for the sequels. Again, that is if someone else decides to make more.

BTW one person who I did not expect to make an appearance in this film was Christopher Judge (aka Teal'c from Stargate SG-1). He was the mercenary that appeared at the end and was about to kill Robin before Batman showed up and saved his ass.

I know people have said they had a problem understanding Bane and thought his dialogue was muffled because of the mask. I for one did not think that and thought the voice was just fine. I heard everything he said just fine as well.

Alfred's goodbye was definitely powerful and sad. The ending though gave me the chills of excitement.

This has been my first movie in theaters since 2009 when I saw Star Trek.

Christine Bale

ROTFLMAO

Wait for it...

"If you're going to mock me then I for one am not going to post any more on this forum!"

I'm not mocking him' date=' I'm mocking Christine Bale's name.

Man all your reviews suck.

What did Trent do to you or your family to deserve such a heinous post?

No, but they are the only ones that liked it unconditionally.

It's an impressive film, but really flawed as well. Surprising misstep for usually dead precise Nolan. But I still enjoy it a lot.

Karol

What's not cool? I think Steef and Joey are the only ones that really liked the film.

I thought you were saying Trent's review was poorly written, but I guess you are just saying you disagree with the generally negative opinion most people have on the film?

What's not cool? I think Steef and Joey are the only ones that really liked the film.

I thought you were saying Trent's review was poorly written, but I guess you are just saying you disagree with the generally negative opinion most people have on the film?

Yes. I didn't address or quote Trent at all. Don't trust a BloodBoal quote.

No, but they are the only ones that liked it unconditionally.

It's an impressive film, but really flawed as well. Surprising misstep for usually dead precise Nolan. But I still enjoy it a lot.

Karol

I'm glad that after five viewings you have come to that conclusion.

It was 2am, I just got back from the movie and skimmed through the 8 pages in about 20 minutes. Patience.

Dude you shouldn't have explained it - it was a funny post before!

That was my impression. Sorry.

I'm glad that after five viewings you have come to that conclusion.

No,I thought that after seeing it for the first time as well. That's not why I wanted to watch it several times.

Karol

So we're mostly on the same page then. The pacing doesn't bother me as much, though. Most films nowadays move to fast. Besides, if Batman appeared after like 10 minutes it would make the ending of the previous film unimportant.

Karol

Oh god, there's a bunch of films I love even though I hate the scores. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Inception, Pirates of the Carribean, Social Network, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo....

I don't think I'm capable of loving a movie whilst despising its score. Like one, yes. But not love one. Movie and score become one in those terms.

This happens to me as well. The music is another element of the film and if I don't like it it's just like not liking any other element of the film that makes me not love it.

I find Dark Knight Rises an excellent piece of cinema, so that it makes me forget the cut and paste score accompanying it. Most of the time.

Sometimes I found Zimmer's score just too irritating to ignore, but that doesn't keep me from loving the film, even though Nolan has questionable views on his music.

I find Dark Knight Rises an excellent piece of cinema, so that it makes me forget the cut and paste score accompanying it. Most of the time.

Sometimes I found Zimmer's score just too irritating to ignore, but that doesn't keep me from loving the film, even though Nolan has questionable views on his music.

The thing is, I found Zimmer's score to be quite tame. It's very percussion-driven but also low key, I didn't find myself drawn to it as say in Inception. There's also only 3 or 4 instances of repeated themes that I picked up on. Obviously when Batman returns during the motorcycle chase, and when that theme kicked in it just put a smile on a face. You hear that again during the climax and then there's Ra's Al Gul's theme during his scene. Probably something for Rachel during her remembrance, but that's as far as I can recall.

The thing is, I found Zimmer's score to be quite tame. It's very percussion-driven but also low key, I didn't find myself drawn to it as say in Inception. There's also only 3 or 4 instances of repeated themes that I picked up on. Obviously when Batman returns during the motorcycle chase, and when that theme kicked in it just put a smile on a face. You hear that again during the climax and then there's Ra's Al Gul's theme during his scene. Probably something for Rachel during her remembrance, but that's as far as I can recall.

Continued...

I want to say a lot about this film, but I feel like I need to see it a second time to fully absorb what Nolan has done here. He wasn't lying when he said it's the biggest thing since the silent era. He was talking about extras and production, but there's so much more. The Dark Knight Rises is massive. The themes it covers, the events that take place, the way things develop... it's huge. It's the most flawed Batman film out of the three, yet it's somehow the most comprehensive. The definitive installment in the franchise, so to speak. The Dark Knight was more or less Batman versus the Joker. It was still heavily steeped in that Gotham universe, the place where the twisted theatrical criminals reside. Going beyond Nolan's Batman, the character has always been rooted in Gotham. Batman in film is set in Gotham, and Gotham is its own world. There is no where else in these films. Here, Nolan puts Gotham on the map. Batman isn't just a renegade in a single city, his image is global. Here we see Bruce Wayne pushed to his limits, on the brink of failure and death, and it's a glorious ride.

Bane was not what I was expecting. His voice was more clear than I recalled from early trailers, and thinking back to that video about the sound and score of the film, they said they let Tom Hardy's performance shine a little more. It was the right choice. Hardy brought a maniacal yet cerebral twist on the voice. It felt like a theatrical Batman villain, but he was so much more than that. He was a walking tank. Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle brought the film up to a whole other level. She helped retain that witty humor found in the previous films, and she looked sexy doing it (I still prefer Cotillard though ;)) JGL's Robin was utilized well, but I could just be biased against him as an actor.

People talked about too many characters and plot exposition, the latter of which is definitely there in usual Nolan fashion and mostly revolving around the Talia Al Gul twist, but it never bogs down the film. It's brilliantly edited and paced. The 2 hours and 45 minutes flew by in the theater.

Finally saw the film tonight. Could not follow the damn plot for the life of me until about halfway through. Not sure if it was because of how addled my brain has been lately or because of Nolan's trademark inability to just tell a story...probably both. In any case, that was my biggest issue with the film.

I thought Anne Hathaway did a remarkable job with her character, even better than I expected. Just the right blend of wit, sex appeal, and vulnerability. Tom Hardy's Bane was decent. On par with the other villains in this trilogy (with the obvious exception of Ledger's exceptional Joker). And then Marion Cotillard...well, I'm just not a big fan of hers, for some reason, although the twist was well executed.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my favorite thing about the film - the continuing lack of distracting CGI. I don't remember a single shot in which I was taken out of the story by less-than-convincing visual effects. I still have significant reservations about Nolan's storytelling style, at least in films that really don't have any good reason to be confusing (unlike, say, The Prestige). But I am very, very supportive of his emphasis on using practical effects when possible.

Not once did the film feel like it was dragging for me. The 2 hours and 45 minutes flew by.

I enjoyed the slow pace. The Dark Knight Rises, The Hunger Games, ... it seems that 'slowness' for big blockbusters is allowed again.

And then Marion Cotillard...well, I'm just not a big fan of hers, for some reason, although the twist was well executed.

The moment she releases her last breath (in true Batman '60s TV series style) is one of the moments when I thought, "Really, Nolan? You approve of this take?" Other than that, I thought she was sexy.

And then Marion Cotillard...well, I'm just not a big fan of hers, for some reason, although the twist was well executed.

The moment she releases her last breath (in true Batman '60s TV series style) is one of the moments when I thought, "Really, Nolan? You approve of this take?" Other than that, I thought she was sexy.

There were a LOT of silly scenes like that in the film that makes you wonder if it was really Nolan that was directing behind the camera....

I'm sorry, but I found Bale's performance capture to be quite unconvincing.

:lol: That reminds me, I kinda wish his hair - and Oldman's - had been cut a little shorter. Felt like I was having a bit of a flashback to circa 2005. Remember when GOF came out in the midst of the long hair craze, and all the male actors had grown manes?

I don't recall that moment being particularly bothersome to me, although her death and Bane's were both pretty weak. For me, Cotillard is sexy until she speaks. The French language is gorgeous, but somehow, I find that her accent does not flatter her.

Wow, that's pure Cardello!

"Just shut up and look prettty!"

Damn straight! ;)

In all seriousness, I'm not one to automatically dismiss the sexiness of any accent different to my own. For instance, as I may have mentioned once or twice, I find Emma Watson to be a very attractive young woman, and her accent plays no small role in that. But for some reason, Marion Cotillard's accent just kills it for me.