JW to be interviewed on NBC's Rock Center

chinaismine

That is not the complete interview Jason but a shorter clip of the one shown on TV if I have understood the comments in this thread correctly.

1)The still picture of him at the beginning and they try to "animate" his arms to make it seem like he's conducting.. What the fuck was that

ROTFLMAO

We need an mp3 of the Mission on piano.

Here's my piano recording of the NBC Theme. I wish they had showed him playing the piano more, but great interview nevertheless.

it should be noted that when the Rock Center piece began the first John Williams music played was NOT STAR WARS, but a rather conventional piece of music (or so I've heard) called JAWS.

Oh my god. I just lost it and started tearing up when I heard and saw John playing on the piano at the end in the online video.

It's just incredible to see him...play his iconic music...and to realize every note this great man has written started just like that, on a piano. But it's not just that...there was so much more running through my head when I saw him huddled over the piano like a cute old man...realizing he's just a man, and uh, hard to put in words, just a myriad of things and emotions that sent me into weepy mode.

That didn't do a lick of justice to what went through my head at the end of that video...so I'll just say.

That was really nice.

Now my nose is clogged and I'm sniffling like a pansy.

I shared your tears as well. oh well an old man being moved to tears by an older man's piano play.

As C3PO said.

WONDERFUL.

It really was magical seeing him play The Mission. And the way he played gave a whole new dimension to the music. It was mesmerizing. I wish we had more :(

I shared your tears as well. oh well an old man being moved to tears by an older man's piano play.

As C3PO said.

WONDERFUL.

Just saw your first post about it...happy to see I'm not the only misty eyed man here!

And what a perfect quote! :)

I could watch a whole movie of Williams simply sitting at his writing desk and piano marking the score sheet with notes. Seeing him put pencil to paper is magic in and of itself.

It's really funny I actually had a very random dream last night that Williams' announced that he was retiring, so it was a big relief to hear that he was far from retired so that makes me think that Williams would not allowed that to have been said if he was planning on retiring soon.

Also relieved how he hasn't changed a bit, I have seen a handful of photos where you can see that he really looks 80 but he looks the same as he did the past 20 years.

Never thought a news theme could be so powerful, I full heartedly agree with what everyone has been saying about the way he played. He could play Mary Had a Little Lamb and make it become magical. It must be his passion for music that really turns his music into magic. Absolutely incredible, that's all I can say.

I could watch a whole movie of Williams simply sitting at his writing desk and piano marking the score sheet with notes. Seeing him put pencil to paper is magic in and of itself.

Me too.

He was playing something . Was it the Lincoln theme?

"Lincoln" has been recorded already. Most likely he's working on a concert work. He says he writes every single day, and if there is no film to work right now...

And we do not know how much of his daily writing sees the light of day and is performed.

Then again, a concert work takes a whole lot more time to get done than a film score. A composer will go back and re-rewrite until he finds it's as perfect as possible. Unless of course, it's a commission with a deadline.

I just watched the online version and it was so lovely. Such a joy to see him playing the piano. He really seems to live on another dimension.

I love the way you put this. I could listen to a 10 hour interview like this. It is just very nice hearing the causual chatting about ipods, Close Encounters, Spielberg looking like a 17 year old. All gems...

He was playing something . Was it the Lincoln theme?

"Lincoln" has been recorded already. Most likely he's working on a concert work. He says he writes every single day, and if there is no film to work right now...

Do you think the reason he doesn't work on more films is because the offers aren't as frequent as they used to be (he's old fashioned) or he turns everything down that's not Spielberg?

I am sure Williams has for a long time now had the priviledge of picking his own assignments and when you look at the past 15 years he has scored only films that have either been by his frequent collaborators (Spielberg, Lucas, Columbus) or have really interested him enough for him to pursue scoring them (Memoirs of a Geisha, partly Harry Potter I guess although Columbus as the director might have also been a deciding factor).

I like Roland Emmerich, actually, but I still don't understand how he managed to score Williams for THE PATRIOT. Must be the subject matter again.

I like Roland Emmerich, actually, but I still don't understand how he managed to score Williams for THE PATRIOT. Must be the subject matter again.

Yes I think it is definitely the reason JW took on that film.

Apparently Williams heard about the project and offered his services, as he wanted to score a period piece starring Mel Gibson.

Apparently Williams heard about the project and offered his services, as he wanted to score a period piece starring Mel Gibson.

What, THE RIVER wasn't 'period' enough? ;)

What, THE RIVER wasn't 'period' enough? ;)

:lol:

And we do not know how much of his daily writing sees the light of day and is performed.

I believe a lot of his work just ends up unused and unperformed. Just part of the composer's muscle to keep writing each day.