Jerry Goldsmith's THE SHADOW (1994) - 2012 Intrada 2-CD Expanded Edition

Ollie

55 minutes ago, Romão said:

If you like 90's Goldsmith, you must really check out The Ghost and The Darkness. The expanded edition, if possible, although the OST is a very good listening experience

That's one I've just rediscovered. I used to like it fine but I'm really digging it now. I am only familiar with the OST but having read that the mixing is much more intense in the film, I am definitely going to check out the expansion.

I greatly enjoy Ghost and the Darkness, as well as Congo and The Shadow.

For more action oriented Goldsmith, Total Recall is also up there, and The Edge is also one of his best IMHO.

I'll likely be thinking of more, but I have to leave that for others.

6 hours ago, Romão said:

If you like 90's Goldsmith, you must really check out The Ghost and The Darkness. The expanded edition, if possible, although the OST is a very good listening experience

I'd say all big action/adventure scores Goldsmith did between 1990 - 2000 should, if possible, be experienced from the longer albums. While not always good albums per se, there's always one or several favourite pieces that never ended up on the short albums. You don't really need smaller stuff like River Wild, Dennis The Menace or Bad Girls or Forever Young, which were well enough represented by their shorter albums, but i absolutely would not want to be without tings like Gremlins 2, Small Soldiers, The Haunting, First Knight etc. 

The only exceptions would be both The Mummy and The 13th Warrior, which were the best album cuts he delivered in that particular decade.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Sand Storm! (The Locusts is a fairly rambling cue).

Exactly what I was going to say. That's the most unfortunate omission from the OST, which I agree, is a fantastic presentation

10 hours ago, publicist said:

The only exceptions would be both The Mummy and The 13th Warrior, which were the best album cuts he delivered in that particular decade.

Those were also significantly longer assemblies than your typical earlier 90s Goldsmith album though, so they had an easier job representing their respective scores.

Star Trek: Nemesis got a longer assembly (at 48 minutes it was the longest OST a Star Trek feature ever received up to that point)... and Goldsmith (or whoever) still fucked it up. :)

A totally badass 48 minutes of highlights *could* have been cultivated from that score, that might have even lived up to Varese's hype-filled product description at the time (which set everyone up for disappointment).

Yeah, The Sand Storm aside The Mummy (and 13th Warrior) are excellent original albums... I still want the other 15-20 minutes of 13th Warrior because it's all good stuff; it doesn't have a less interesting stretch in the score like The Mummy does (after the halfway point, all that horror and suspense underscore which goes on for over 20 minutes).

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Star Trek: Nemesis got a longer assembly (at 48 minutes it was the longest OST a Star Trek feature ever received up to that point)... and Goldsmith (or whoever) still fucked it up. :)

A totally badass 48 minutes of highlights *could* have been cultivated from that score, that might have even lived up to Varese's hype-filled product description at the time (which set everyone up for disappointment).

Yeah, The Sand Storm aside The Mummy (and 13th Warrior) are excellent original albums... I still want the other 15-20 minutes of 13th Warrior because it's all good stuff; it doesn't have a less interesting stretch in the score like The Mummy does (after the halfway point, all that horror and suspense underscore which goes on for over 20 minutes).

Yavar

I really love the OST of Nemesis though...

I've listened to the complete score once, I'll pull it back out. It's a top ten Goldsmith* for me and my favorite of all his Trek scores. Even though I think everyone has to both see and respect the genius of The Motion Picture. It's not my personal favorite music of his but it is perfect for that movie.

*I say this but I am not familiar with enough of his work to have a truly meaningful top ten at this point. Imo. I've been cruising back and forth through 1987-2004 this dive. Lionheart, First Knight and The Shadow have been all my recent obsessions. I was really into Nemesis and The Final Conflict last year. All OSTs, of course. I am not against expansions but I want to be sure I am intimately familiar with what was available before I can appreciate the impact of an expansion. Anyway, back to The Shadow...

Oh but which cues are the truly sad omissions from the OST of Nemesis? I am intimately familiar with the movie.

10 hours ago, blondheim said:

IOh but which cues are the truly sad omissions from the OST of Nemesis? I am intimately familiar with the movie.

Basically all that comes after 'The Scorpion' (action and more rousing stuff).

image.png

• 7 months later...

Quick question for the Goldsmithians amongst us, would I be right in thinking that all of the score tracks featured on the OST assembly, with the exception of "Who Are You?" which is about 40 seconds shorter on the OST, are the same as their counterparts on the full score assembly? Ta!