Jerry Goldsmith's THE SHADOW (1994) - 2012 Intrada 2-CD Expanded Edition

Ollie

http://www.intrada.n....php?f=4&t=4961

INTRADA Announces:

580757_10150962451012169_838542990_n.jpg

THE SHADOW

Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 204

Universal Pictures' 1994 The Shadow allowed composer Jerry Goldsmith to put his imprimatur on the darkly gothic phase of the superhero genre that developed in the 1990s. Writing for a large orchestra, Goldsmith created a score that found the perfect mix between heroism and menace and resulted in one of his longest scores. Goldsmith’s main title music introduces many of the score’s core elements: an unnerving pitch bend, played by synthesizers; a grandly powerful brass melody for the Shadow; and a bouncing electronic figure that will become a key rhythmic device throughout the score. Goldsmith’s classic-sounding Shadow theme and the score’s large scale orchestrations complemented the film’s period setting and lavish look, while the composer’s trademark electronics helped better position the film for a contemporary audience.

When the original soundtrack for The Shadow was released in 1994, it presented only a fraction of Jerry Goldsmith’s hour-and-twenty-minute score, reducing the composer’s wealth of action material to two cues and barely hinting at the complete score’s range and scope. In particular, Goldsmith’s elegant and haunting love theme—one of his best of the ’90s—plays only briefly at the very end of the album. This premiere presentation of the complete score represents one of the most substantial restorations of a Goldsmith soundtrack, illuminated by the fact that just 30 minutes of the full 85-minute score appeared on the original 1994 soundtrack album. To present this dynamic work, Universal provided access to the original 48-track digital session elements plus the multi-track film mixes and live two-track session mixes and remixes. The result is a 2-CD set featuring the entire score and the original Arista CD program.

In the film, character Lamont Cranston (Alec Baldwin) plays an expatriate American who becomes a vicious warlord in Tibet before a Tibetan mystic redeems him and teaches Cranston the powers of the mind that will allow him to become the Shadow. In New York, taking the guise of a millionaire playboy, Cranston becomes involved with Margo Lane (Penelope Anne Miller), the only person who seems immune to the Shadow’s mental powers. John Lone plays the Shadow’s Mongolian nemesis Shiwan Khan, who also studied under Tulku. Khan plans to conquer the world with his army of followers and an atomic bomb.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 204

Retail Price: $29.99

Available Now

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7684/.f

Tracklisting

Complete Soundtrack Part 1

01. The Poppy Fields 3:41

02. The Clouded Mind 6:43

03. I’ll Be There 3:55

04. No Shadow 0:33

05. Secrets 3:08

06. Don’t Open It! 4:15

07. Do You Believe? 2:24

08. The Sanctum 3:34

09. Who Are You? 4:46

10. The Code 0:59

11. The Call 2:36

12. No Thought 1:19

13. Chest Pains 3:27

14. A Mission 2:35

15. Nice Tie 2:49

16. The Knife 3:06

17. What I Know 4:48

18. The Jumper 1:21

19. The Tank 4:06

Part 1 Total Time: 60:09

Complete Soundtrack Part 2

01. The Dream 1:59

02. Get Dr. Lane 1:05

03. The Hotel 5:55

04. Fight Like A Man 4:13

05. The Mirrors 4:58

06. The Mirrors (Alternate Version) 4:04

07. Frontal Lobotomy 2:30

Part 2 Total Time: 24:52

The Extras

08. Wild Drums 0:19

09. Dinner Source (Dennis Dreith) 1:06

10. Bart’s Bounce (Dennis Dreith) 2:06

Total Extras Time: 3:35

Original 1994 Arista Soundtrack Album

11. The Shadow Knows… 1994 ALEC BALDWIN 0:08

12. Original Sin (Theme From The Shadow) (Steinman) TAYLOR DANE 6:27

13. The Poppy Fields (Main Title) 3:16

14. Some Kind Of Mystery (Warren) SINOA 3:48

15. The Sanctum 3:33

16. Who Are You? 4:02

17. Chest Pains 3:26

18. The Knife 3:05

19. The Hotel 5:53

20. The Tank 4:08

21. Frontal Lobotomy 2:28

22. Original Sin (Theme From The Shadow) (Steinman) Film Mix TAYLOR DANE 5:02

23. The Shadow Radio Show 1937: “Who Knows What Evil Lurks In The Hearts Of Men?” ORSON WELLES 0:29

Album Total Time: 46:15

CD2 Total Time: 74:56

. I have the OST I bought ages ago but never listened to it much.

It's in the period where Goldsmith was starting to disappoint me and I was losing interest

Oi, I so want to have this... have been trying to get the score for a while, but the prices were ridiculous... and now 50 minutes more :-) But I can't find any info concerning how many CDs they made... is it unlimited? Would be great, because I'm about to move into another city, so it's bad timing at the moment.

I think it's not limited. It will not run away.

Hope so; would be extremely disappointed in this case...

Another release for the long list of scores I have to buy when my wallet is plump enough.

I remember vividly that back in the days when this score was released, several fans lamented Goldsmith was ripping off Elfman's Batman theme.

Well, he does (that and a sub-theme from Franz Waxman's PRINCE VALIANT), but we have come a long way since 1994. Now it's just another bold JG horn theme - and the term 'ripping off' has gained connotations since so that it seems quite surreal to attach it to something as slightly influenced as the SHADOW.

Oi, I so want to have this... have been trying to get the score for a while, but the prices were ridiculous... and now 50 minutes more :-) But I can't find any info concerning how many CDs they made... is it unlimited? Would be great, because I'm about to move into another city, so it's bad timing at the moment.

Ever since Explorers sold out in less than 24 hours, Intrada no longer publicly posts how many units their CDs are limited to. Basically, they will keep stuff in print as long as it's selling and will give a 2 week's notice if something is about to go out of print.

I'd imagine they negotiated for 5,000 units of The Shadow initially, and will go back for 5,000 more if those all sell out.

I remember vividly that back in the days when this score was released, several fans lamented Goldsmith was ripping off Elfman's Batman theme.

I must admit, that was always my initial reaction at the time. I also agree with KM, this represented an era of JG disappointing me, so I've dismissed this score ever since. I'll have to give it another chance, sine some folks are being moved to tears by it.

I sounds great from sound clips. Never heard this one before. Is it really this good?

There's damn cool stuff in it. I haven't listened to my CDR in a while, hoping for a re-release. :)

Nobody expects a surprise holy grail posting from Mark Olivarez!

His chief weapons are fear and surprise.

I sounds great from sound clips. Never heard this one before. Is it really this good?

Well, I immediately wanted it after seeing the movie... and I often don't like Jerry Goldsmith scores so much. I love the main theme, and the mystery music :-)

Just listening to the samples (had technical problems earlier); wow even the very first cue is a blast!

Wow. I can't believe this is finally getting an expansion. This is easily one of Goldsmith's best scores in the 90s, imo. I never owned the OST. So I'm definitely picking this up whenever I have the opportunity. Might order this with Newman's The Phantom. Which is another awesome superhero score from the 90s. This made my week. Probably Intrada's best release so far this year. Haven't been this excited for a release by them in a while.

Got my copy last night, and have been listening to it.

Excellent score, very atmospheric. The wild percussion, mostly related to Shiwan Khan (bad guy of the movie), really comes across nicely.

Definately a nice step up from the original 30 minute album, which I will pass on to a good friend (to whom I pass on almost all of my upgraded OST cds).

It's also interesting to hear "The Mirrors" in 2 versions the way they have it. Both versions are very different, yet it is apparent they were written for basically the same sequence.

This score also, IMHO, shows what synths can bring to the feel of a score when used as instruments in their own right, rather than as a cost cutting measure taking on the role of brass, strings or percussion. (Star Trek: TMP is another such showcase, using synths and the Blaster Beam).

Makes me miss Jerry Goldsmith all over again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to this whole thing over and over all week and I'm still not tired of it. This really is Jerry just having good time! The Taylor Dayne and Sinoa songs are lovely too.

The Batman comparisons are just untrained ears hearing "gothic" and not knowing what they're babbling about. Goldsmith's score has a more organised structure whereas Elfman's more frenetic score captures Bruce Wayne's scatterbrained psyche.

For me, this is the best release from Intrada this year so far.

Elfman's more frenetic score captures Bruce Wayne's scatterbrained psyche.

Untrue! Elfman was, at that point in his career unable to do anything else but frantic or carnivalesque.

Eh? If that's what he did, then how does that make my post untrue?

• 2 months later...

This score and album are very good indeed. While Goldsmith's music is usually very entertaining, here I hear something even more fun, especially in latter part of his career. It's a bit more quirky and playful than his usual works tend to be, especially all the action music. And sounds fantastic as well. I even like how the synths are done here. Yes, a bit dated, but they create a cool ambience. Glad I bought this.

Karol

• 8 years later...

This love theme! Where are all the instances of it in the complete score? Or are the cues listed in the Intrada booklet (Secrets, Do You Believe, What I Know, The Dream, and of course, Frontal Lobotomy) its only appearances?

There just isn't enough of it. Is there anymore out there anywhere on compilations? I doubt it but you never know. If not, I plan to cherish every occurence so please let me know if it is hidden anywhere else. I'm mad for it.

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I don’t think Intrada’s notes comprehensively listed every appearance. I mean, there it is at 1:19 of The Poppy Fields (Main Title)!

On the original half hour album for this great score, it only appeared a single time (briefly in the final cue)! I agree it’s a stunner; the huge Intrada expansion was truly a godsend and made this score shoot up to the top of Jerry’s 90s output for me.

Yavar

I don't know how I missed that one. I've been spinning the expanded score behind everything today, trying to catch love theme appearances.

My recent love for First Knight and The Shadow have me looking through his 90s output for more scores to discover/rediscover. I think I want to make a playlist with Arthur's Farewell and The Mirrors on it... and a bunch of other badass shit that deserves to sit next to them.

I've also listened to The Shadow a lot lately and only now come to really appreciate it. One big problem and the reason why it's not very well-known even among many Goldsmith fans is its limited availability. A straight reissue (without any changes, because the Intrada program is perfect) paired with a premiere on sreaming services would be very welcome.

I mean, it was available for quite a few years after its release in 2012, and I'm sure most Goldsmith fans collecting from 5-9 years ago picked it up because it was a substantial expansion. But I agree it should be brought back into print. It's so damn good.

Yavar

Yeah that would be great, though we’ve learned that even the “permanent unlimited” releases really aren’t either! They can sell out and stay out of print from Intrada, like The Great Train Robbery did (thankfully reissued by Quartet so it came back into print).

Yavar

Most titles in Intrada's MAF (later renamed to INT) line are no longer available.  Check out this list:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4813

The ones in black text are out of print, the ones in blue text are still available

Nah, The Shadow is sold out / out of print

I'm assuming the dude who runs that list doesn't make it a weekly habit to check every blue title to see if they've now sold out, but if someone posts a message to the thread about certain titles I'm guessing he'd update it

6 hours ago, Permanent Waves said:

Try his Star Trek V? Or Mulan? Some similarities in those.

I grew up on Mulan. Star Trek V is on my list. I need more familiarity with scores like The Edge, etc.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean, it was available for quite a few years after its release in 2012, and I'm sure most Goldsmith fans collecting from 5-9 years ago picked it up because it was a substantial expansion. But I agree it should be brought back into print. It's so damn good.

Yavar

Unfortunately, I was not one of those people. I would buy a re-release today.

@blondheim there are no Goldsmith scores *quite* like The Shadow, but I do think you'll like both The Edge and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier very much, when you explore them. I would also highly recommend adding Star Trek: The Motion Picture if you don't know it. There are certain cues in The Shadow (the ones full of dark grandeur, is how I'd describe them) which very much call back to that score, for me... and it also has one of Goldsmith's most gorgeous  romantic melodies of all time in Ilia's Theme.

Yavar

Just now, Yavar Moradi said:

@blondheim there are no Goldsmith scores *quite* like The Shadow, but I do think you'll like both The Edge and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier very much, when you explore them. I would also highly recommend adding Star Trek: The Motion Picture if you don't know it. There are certain cues in The Shadow (the ones full of dark grandeur, is how I'd describe them) which very much call back to that score, for me... and it also has one of Goldsmith's most gorgeous  romantic melodies of all time in Ilia's Theme.

Yavar

I'm relatively familiar with a lot of his work, just not super familiar. I have always listened to The Motion Picture, however. Right now I am looking for his best 90's action cues and guilty pleasures. I love 90s Goldsmith.