Hans Zimmer writes a new piece, donates earnings to a fund for the Aurora victims

Matt C

Nice gesture indeed, but the music isn't very interesting. It's a vocal soundscape rather than music. Not a very big accomplishment for an accomplished composer.

At 2:32 in, all I was hearing STILL was "tongue depressor" music.

Zimmer is still mistaking "quanity for quality" just because of WHO he is.

I, and a whole lot of other people, can do better than Zimmers effort......

"Accomplished Composer"......nah!

John Williams will hold that title, even after he is *gone*

God that Vader clip makes me cringe every time. Especially when I realize Lucas had to yank that out of the great James Earl Jones.

Lucas was "yanking" Ep. 1-3.

James Earl Jones was just getting tired of ".....this is CNN..."

It may all as well be, but very few "true accomplished" composers bothered to do anything like this (well, there was Christopher Lennertz's A Symphony of Hope initiative). And he's really popular among people around the world, so using that to do something always counts. The quality of composition itself doesn't really matter here.

I mean, Williams could have done something like this as well. If he wanted to.

Karol

WHO is to say that Williams WON'T answer in kind, to the Aurora Shootings?

And even if he *doesn't*, I won't think any less of him.......

The man is 80, and carefully counting his years, but he STILL insists on "going to work".....

And there is only so much that he can do........

Well, he can spare time to write presidency inauguration pieces. Or NBC music. Or Fenway Park music (of all things!).

But it wasn't my point, anyway. Just wanted to give you some perspective before you pass a judgement on "lesser" musicians and whether or not they're worthy of contributing something.

Karol

Zimmer IS "lesser".......

And so is his "protege"

http://filmmusicrepo...-frozen-ground/

Lorne Balfe is probably going to score "The Frozen Ground" the same way as his "master".....and that scares me.....

Here is MY idea......(at least)

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmmgkxuosnU

There you have it....

I got your point before: you don't think Zimmer is a good composer. That's OK.

That's not what I'm talking about, though. You said " I, and a whole lot of other people, can do better than Zimmers effort......". And I replied "It all may as well be". But that's not important, because none of them did.

You see, I'm not really arguing about Zimmer being good or bad composer here... I have my own opinion about it, but that is completely irrelevant to this thread.

Karol

Jeez...I never knew an act of charity and selflessness could infuriate somebody so much.

Sad, isn't it?

I bought the piece and whether I think it's a great composition doesn't matter. What matters is why it was done.

Nice gesture indeed, but the music isn't very interesting. It's a vocal soundscape rather than music. Not a very big accomplishment for an accomplished composer.

At 2:32 in, all I was hearing STILL was "tongue depressor" music.

Zimmer is still mistaking "quanity for quality" just because of WHO he is.

I, and a whole lot of other people, can do better than Zimmers effort......

"Accomplished Composer"......nah!

Win an Oscar, innovate the film music genre, and become known by millions and get back to us. Good luck! :wave:

Well winn an oscar and ruin the music genre. Uncool.And for Wo and Tho it

isn't that cool To try to sustife what already went wrong. Beeing part of ultra

violent franchise and oops. The music piece is meh!!!

Well winn an oscar and ruin the music genre. Uncool.And for Wo and Tho it

isn't that cool To try to sustife what already went wrong. Beeing part of ultra

violent franchise and oops. The music piece is meh!!!

I have no idea what you're saying here.

Hmm I don't see the problem of criticizing Zimmer's music here at all. You can help the victims AND rip into Zimmer's music all you want. They are two completely different matters, you know. He wrote shit music for a good cause. Nothing wrong in saying that.

Anyways I listened to it and didn't even realize it ended.

Have you guys seen this?

Although arguably effective in the film, at a certain point it becomes embarrassing how he drools over his own one-note sound-experiment. How different from JW's behind the scenes videos.

Hans strikes me as somebody who tries to be honest, not necessarily arrogant. He says what he feels, and sometimes that is self-congratulatory (but let's be honest, a rich person wouldn't keep writing music if he didn't think he was any good) but I don't think that's the purpose. In this respect I actually appreciate him more than JW. He's not afraid to say that he's proud of what he writes.

(but let's be honest, a rich person wouldn't keep writing music if he didn't think he was any good)

Doesn't every person think they're good at something? I mean, money is not the reason to work for some people. Someone who lives and breathes music, like Williams and many other composers, isn't just going to stop once they make their first million.

(but let's be honest, a rich person wouldn't keep writing music if he didn't think he was any good)

Doesn't every person think they're good at something? I mean, money is not the reason to work for some people. Someone who lives and breathes music, like Williams and many other composers, isn't just going to stop once they make their first million.

I know, that's what I said. There's a lot of negatives which make it confusing, but the point was: a rich person would stop writing if he didn't think his music was good.

I agree with what you're saying about Hans, but I've heard Williams speak proudly too of his own music.

Yeah, but I wouldn't mind if he were a little more sure of himself. For instance he refuses to call film music "art" (he doesn't say it isn't art either).

I'd rephrase that. A rich person would probably stop writing if he/she didn't like writing music.