So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

there's still no explanation on how the specific xenomorph eggs got on another crashed "engineer ship" at the beginning of Alien

I thought the movie was pretty good though

What a trash of a film. Everything failed. And that twist at the end made me and my mate laugh out loud. A blind monk who was deaf and retarded could have seen that twist from a mile away. The entire script was utter idiocy.

3 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

What a trash of a film. Everything failed. And that twist at the end made me and my mate laugh out loud. A blind monk who was deaf and retarded could have seen that twist from a mile away. The entire script was utter idiocy.

It is not an audience twist. Everything is set up so that the audience is well aware that

Spoiler

David has changed place with Walter

. It is only a "twist" for the remaining crew members.

I see that the bashing has continued predictably here while I was in Cannes.

I love the Alien franchise and always go in wanting and expecting a good film. But you're fooling yourself if you think this is a good film. Nothing worked. It wasn't engaging. There was no suspense, no horror, no surprises, no character development, hell even no characters of note. I left knowing absolutely nothing about any of the characters other than their ridiculous stupidity. "We've just been chased by a mutant creature thing, and most of us are dead, so while we hide out in this creepy structure, I'm just going to go off alone and freshen up in a dark room by myself. Is that okay captain?" It's bloody insulting to watch. Total trash film-making. 

"Oh no there's an alien hanging onto the ship. Instead of flying into space and suffocating it, I'll just go outside and swing around like Miley Cyrus."

Pathetic.

34 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I love the Alien franchise and always go in wanting and expecting a good film. But you're fooling yourself if you think this is a good film. Nothing worked. It wasn't engaging. There was no suspense, no horror, no surprises, no character development, hell even no characters of note. I left knowing absolutely nothing about any of the characters other than their ridiculous stupidity. "We've just been chased by a mutant creature thing, and most of us are dead, so while we hide out in this creepy structure, I'm just going to go off alone and freshen up in a dark room by myself. Is that okay captain?" It's bloody insulting to watch. Total trash film-making. 

"Oh no there's an alien hanging onto the ship. Instead of flying into space and suffocating it, I'll just go outside and swing around like Miley Cyrus."

Pathetic.

And the score fucking sucked on top of it all!

Perhaps it's a male xenomorph who identifies as a female xenomorph.  Clearly that picture demonstrates she can't find a suitable bathroom to use.

A little sensitivity on your part, BB, would go a long way.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Are they called Xenomorphs in the film?

It's a name Cameron invented. It has nothing to do with Scott's baby. ;)

2 hours ago, Thor said:

You're free to your opinion. I most certainly do not share it.

Hmm, I feel I bought the popcorn for nothing!

Intriguingly, a review of this film's novelisation seems to indicate that, at some point during the film's production, 

Spoiler

David didn't actually create the Alien. He was experimenting upon creatures the Engineers "left behind." His creations appear to be bastardisations of the pure Xenomorph that, presumably, were Engineer creations. This has been suspected of course, given that mural in Prometheus and so forth.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/alien-covenant-official-movie-novelization/

53 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Intriguingly, a review of this film's novelisation seems to indicate that, at some point during the film's production, 

Hide contents

David didn't actually create the Alien. He was experimenting upon creatures the Engineers "left behind." His creations appear to be bastardisations of the pure Xenomorph that, presumably, were Engineer creations. This has been suspected of course, given that mural in Prometheus and so forth.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/alien-covenant-official-movie-novelization/

Ah so it doesn't contradict the AVP movies afterall.

Covenant certainly never makes it clear or states outright that David created them, so it's plausible (despite Scott's interview rantings).

Film has suffered heavy cuts in China, with the Alien almost entirely removed. :huh:

Spoiler

Here is a more detailed account on the deleted scenes of Chinese version.

back bursting is entirely removed. They only kept a second of  baby Neo close-up

baby Neo attacking Karine is removed.

baby neo smashing the window is removed

mouth bursting is removed

Engineer scene, some more detailed engineer death scenes are removed.

Rosenthal encountering adult neo; the first Neo close up is there, but the sequent jaw-opening and neck biting is removed.

Rosenthal’s head floating is removed

Shaw is body scene is mostly removed, they kept about a second of face close up.

David kissing Walter is removed

The chest bursting scene is partially removed, but the Xeno baby close-up is kept. However the hand waving mimic part is removed.

Close up on the acid blood effect of the face hugger is removed

The first adult Xeno encounter. Three seconds of Xeno close up is removed.

About 3-4 seconds of Adult Xeno smashing its head against the window close up is removed.

Shower scene, most Xeno attack scene is removed.

Some Xeno close up in the last confrontation is removed.

• 1 month later...

Will we see Jonesy as a kitten in Alien: Covenant 2?

The final scene of the film involves the handover of Kitten Jonesy to Little Girl Ripley, who accepts the adorable kitten with open arms.

Hard cut to black.

Directed by Ridley Scott.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

TV series next, maybe?

We can only hope so. Anything is better than the films these days.:rimshot:

In Space Nobody Can See That You're Watching Television - HBO

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Alien: Covenant! To cut to the chase, the movie is quite literally saved by Michael Fassbender's double role. And even though I don't care for the rest of crew or anything else in this movie, the quick pace together with the tension and gore make it entertaining enough to watch it to the end. In fact, I liked it better than Prometheus. Too bad there had to be another obligated big spectacle scene in it. BTW, did people notice the references that Scott is making Blade Runner? 6/10

alien-covenant-trailer-breakdown14-700x3

Alex

There's a lot of thematic overlap with Blade Runner in both Covenant and Prometheus. Parenthood, creation, the origins of life.

Both stories revolve around synthetics, creations of man, searching for meaning in their existence (and not much liking the answers).

Yes, that, but there are a few literal references or nods as well. It's like Scott really wants to join the two universes together ... as if he's preparing us. 

Actually, each time the alien killed someone, I was thinking: Who was that?" 

I don't know how he did it in Alien but Scott's gift to make the viewer care about characters is gone.

Alex