So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

37 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Actually, each time the alien killed someone, I was thinking: Who was that?" 

I don't know how he did it in Alien but Scott's gift to make the viewer care about characters is gone.

Alex

I enjoy Alien but I'm not sure I have a fuck about any of the characters in that film. 

I'm pretty sure that 'the crew of Covenant having no charisma' is an often heard complaint. 

The crew of Alien (dead-on casting) made me care enough to make the whole experience more tactile. It's enough to make a difference.

I've rewatched the last 20 minutes to get an understanding of the whole

Spoiler

David/Walter switcheroo, and I'm still totally confused.

Did David somehow transfer his mind into Walter's body? Presumably not, since his wounds weren't healing (a flaw of synthetics of David's era). So clearly David has murdered Walter with the knife and just switched clothes... and sawn off his hand... and matched his hair AND facial wounds... in a matter of seconds.

And yet he no longer has that hole in his chin from being stabbed by Daniels' nail. So, eh, WTF?

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2017 at 9:31 PM, crumbs said:

I've rewatched the last 20 minutes to get an understanding of the whole

Hide contents

David/Walter switcheroo, and I'm still totally confused.

Did David somehow transfer his mind into Walter's body? Presumably not, since his wounds weren't healing (a flaw of synthetics of David's era). So clearly David has murdered Walter with the knife and just switched clothes... and sawn off his hand... and matched his hair AND facial wounds... in a matter of seconds.

And yet he no longer has that hole in his chin from being stabbed by Daniels' nail. So, eh, WTF?

It's all about the big picture!

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

This film really came and went from theaters with little fanfare eh

That's why the studio is putting the franchise on hold. 

On 18/8/2017 at 4:27 PM, Jay said:

This film really came and went from theaters with little fanfare eh

Not for the want of trying from Thor to be fair!

• 3 months later...

Ridley Scott insists he's still making an Alien: Covenant sequel:

Ridley Scott: We are going to make another, we are. I think what we have to do is gradually drift away from the alien stuff. People say, "You need more alien, you need more face pulling, need more chest bursting", so I put a lot of that in Covenant and it fitted nicely. But I think if you go again you need to start finding another solution that's more interesting.

Ridley Scott is 80 years old.

https://movieweb.com/new-alien-movie-ridley-scott-still-making-awakening/

26 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

We're back on the Prometheus road. One more movie, folks, and it's over.

Indeed, and hooray for that! Can't get enough of PROMETHEUS (even after 10 viewings). While ALIEN: COVENANT is probably in my Top 5 of the year, I think I prefer PROMETHEUS even more, and can't wait to see them explore more of that sentiment for the next one.

Some of the best things happening in movie world right now is Scott exploring this universe further.

Well, I guess it's better than Ridley Scott doing another wine movie in the South of France.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Didn't Scott say he had three more movies meant to follow Covenant?

That was before Covenant flopped at the box-office.

That's what the world is waiting for. At least Disney will know how to sell it! 

(extremely deep trailer voice) In the farthest regions of the universe ... Someone is back!

Sigourney-Weaver-as-Ripley-in-Aliens-ali

"Out of my way bitches! It's time to kill God!"

(The crowd goes nuts)

Disco Stu: Best Alien movie ever!

Thor: It wasn't what I wanted but it was nice to see Sigourney Weaver revisiting the franchise.

Alexcremers: I'm not a fan of nostalgia trips.

39 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That was before Covenant flopped at the box-office.

And didn't he just say a few weeks ago that this franchise was (mercifully) done? Who is going to pay for this? 

Just do one more with David and be done with it. Regardless of what people think, the trilogy does deserve an ending just to prove (once and for all) what Ridley was getting at all along.

Enough with the blue balling!

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

LeBlanc: Daisy Ridley gave an Oscar-worthy performance as Ripley's daughter!

Alexcremers: Well, Newt isn't really Ripley's daughter but I know what you mean, Jay.

45 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, I guess it's better than Ridley Scott doing another wine movie in the South of France.

He, he. Say what you will of Scott's limitations as a director of comedies, but he photographed the shit of A GOOD YEAR.

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Ridley Scott insists he's still making an Alien: Covenant sequel:

Ridley Scott: We are going to make another, we are. I think what we have to do is gradually drift away from the alien stuff. People say, "You need more alien, you need more face pulling, need more chest bursting", so I put a lot of that in Covenant and it fitted nicely. But I think if you go again you need to start finding another solution that's more interesting.

Ridley Scott is 80 years old.

https://movieweb.com/new-alien-movie-ridley-scott-still-making-awakening/

Havent they ruined the A L I E N franchise enough already?

What's sort of sad is they've had, what, eight films in that franchise now? And only two are no holds barred great films. The last one 30 years ago. The rest run the range from fairly decent to unwatchable.

Nothing has been ruined. You could argue that the xenomorph doesn't have the impact it once had, but it's still damn scary. You could also argue that something like AvP2 ruined some of the mythos by setting it in a contemporary suburban setting with teens, but other than that -- most of the universe explorations that have been done have been very intriguing. Especially the new films by Scott, focussing on the A.I. in an extremely elegant manner.

I'm not a fan of Prometheus (to put it mildly) but I did like how in Alien: Covenant David (who now has transcended the slave status) felt like a replicant from Blade Runner:mrgreen:

• 3 weeks later...

I'll believe it when I see a more official source than a forum member.

If a sequel does not happen, the ending we have now must surely be one of the biggest 'downers' of all time. :) (echoes of the original ending of TWIN PEAKS).

Ridley Scott might still believe in it but that doesn't mean it's a done deal. So, besides Ridley Scott, do we have an official statement that the next one is going to be made?

12 hours ago, Richard said:

My guess (my hope) is that there will be one more film, just so that it can be the missing piece between ALIEN COVENANT, and the original.

Exactly my thoughts!

After reading his comments on BR2049, Ridley sure loves throwing other filmmakers under the bus. First Blompkamp on A5, now Villeneuve!

Fox have seemed happy enough going along with Ridley's idea of an Alien-verse but it's... yeah. 

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The new trilogy has been an unmitigated failure. Safer and smarter to cut their losses. Or draft in Jim Cameron to take over and sort it out.

I think Scott just can’t live with the fact that James Cameron made the best Alien film. 

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

After reading his comments on BR2049, Ridley sure loves throwing other filmmakers under the bus. First Blompkamp on A5, now Villeneuve!

Has he said something about Villeneuve?