Jump to content

So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)


crocodile
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think you could make a better argument that Alien3 is an AIDS allegory.

 

But Aliens? In 1986? AIDS was just beginning to enter the public consciousness at the time. I don't see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thanks for that @Nick Parker.

Just a minute. Nick Parker? The JWfan poster?

 

That's more apt, because that's all I ever was...and that's all I'll ever be.

 

 

 

 

....

 

:(

41 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I think you could make a better argument that Alien3 is an AIDS allegory.

 

But Aliens? In 1986? It was just beginning to enter the public consciousness at the time. I don't see it.

 

Same, and even 3 is a stretch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:


I agree, I just think you can make more of a plausible argument for it.

 

Oh for sure. It doesn't compare to AVP:R, though, because no viewer's mind could be protected enough from that movie's diseased, penetrating violations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh for sure. It doesn't compare to AVP:R, though, because no viewer's mind could be protected enough from that movie's diseased, penetrating violations.

Guess I'm not human then

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

You're a robot! You're a goddamn robot!

Well you have my sympathies

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

Last word. I...can't lie to you, about your chances, but...you have my sympathies ;)

Damn you submit quicker than I did

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched " Pitch Meeting" for this.

Made me realize this.turkey was far, far worse than I remembered.

"Remember when a.giant object is bearing down  on you, keep running in.a straight line!"😝😜😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Screenshot_2021-05-27-00-26-28.png

42 minutes ago, AC1 said:

You learn more from The Drunk.

 

 

Love it-

 

" Trying to find logic in this film is like trying to find to find a gender studies major who weighs less than 300 pounds"

 

If only Thor had refrained from praising these films....

They would have been dismissed and forgotten.

But NOOOOOOOOOO! He had to call them masterpieces! 😠

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a salty thread.

To add some more salt: I've seen parts of Alien (will watch the whole thing at some point), all of Aliens, and parts of the 90s sequels.

I'm sorry to say I have no real interest in watching anything that came after Aliens front to back. The franchise should have ended at Aliens, that's all the ending you need.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Aliens was at its best the first time I watched it in the theatre. However, Alien and Blade Runner have a different side to them, I can watch them from a different perspective for they transcend the theme park ride. 

 

 

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Also aplies to the Terminator franchise, which should've ended on T2.

 

To be honest, I enjoy T2 more than I do Aliens. I think it's Cameron's most accomplished movie. It's entirely possible that the overall look of the film has something to do with that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2021 at 9:44 AM, AC1 said:

You learn more from The Drunk.

 

 

Ah yes, Prometheus killed the franchise, let's just ignore Alien 3, Resurrection or AVP 1 and 2. Typical youtube rubbish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course the franchise was already in deep trouble but there was hope that Ridley's return to the universe would be a step in the right direction again. Turns out it wasn't, which he discusses in the video. That's why the drunk deems the franchise dead. 

 

 

Hope this helps ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

there was hope that Ridley's return to the universe would be a step in the right direction again.

 

As is always the case with Ridley Scott, he really is at the mercy of the script.

 

A bad script will invariably make for a bad film, no matter how inspired Sir Ridley's mise-en-scene may be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

 

As is always the case with Ridley Scott, he really is at the mercy of the script.

 

A bad script will invariably make for a bad film, no matter how inspired Sir Ridley's mise-en-scene may be.


That’s the case with most directors though. And Scott has enough clout to pick the films he’s involved with and the screenwriters. If he works on project that has a bad script (and he’s had his share) that’s on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

That’s the case with most directors though.

 

Writer/directors are very fashionable now. Directors who don't write (like Scott or Spielberg) have become the exception to the rule.

 

And, for some reason, Scott has a habit of choosing at least a couple of shitty screenplays against any one good screenplay he directs.

 

I've yet to see a bad Ridley Scott film where the problem was anywhere BUT the script. Under his baton, the acting and production design are always top notch, and his directing inspired. But when the script is a Prometheus or Legend of Darkness...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I've yet to see a bad Ridley Scott film where the problem was anywhere BUT the script. Under his baton, the acting and production design are always top notch, and his directing inspired. But when the script is a Prometheus or Legend of Darkness...

Have you seen White Squal? 

And I think, the issue with Hannibal was not necessarily the original script. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Of course the franchise was already in deep trouble but there was hope that Ridley's return to the universe would be a step in the right direction again. Turns out it wasn't, which he discusses in the video. That's why the drunk deems the franchise dead. 

 

 

Hope this helps ...

It’s a shame his ego killed Blomkamp’s sequel to Aliens that had Weaver and Paxton on board. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

And, for some reason, Scott has a habit of choosing at least a couple of shitty screenplays against any one good screenplay he directs.

 

Maybe he just likes bad screenplays. Talented people can have bad taste too, you know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chen G. said:

 

 

Under his baton, the acting and production design are always top notch, and his directing inspired. 

 

I don't see that. I'm never impressed with his direction or mise-en-scène anymore. It's all very by the numbers to me. Instead of 'inspiring', I see assemby line work. I wish he would break free from that. He won't though ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.