It's time I come out and profess my love

Ren

My profession of love for all things

LOTR

So, it's no secret that I feel LOTR is about the best thing since sliced bread. I read the hobbit growing up, liked it ok. Read lotr, like it ok. But with the movies arriving in the early 2000s I decided to reread LOTR. Talk about a religious experience. I was a changed person after that reread. I feel like it wasn't even a reread because it had been like ten years.

I saw the movies, my most memorable was rotk on new years eve into new years day, by myself. Epiphany of sorts.

It changed my teaching, still affects it in a way. I will be programming some Tolkien at the December concert I'm conducting.

I can not wait for the Hobbit, though I'd love to actually attend with friends if possible. We shall see, my friends aren't into it.

So, next week I will be getting inked. I'm fairly certain my tattoo will be on the back of my neck, so I can cover it up. It will be small and it will be a single word. I contemplated many, including fate, strength, spirit, etc. but everyone I've shared the mock ups with has agreed

"music"

Is the word indeed.

Posted below is my mock up of the elvish word for music "lindale". I will be going to a tattoo artist who does a lot of work with Tolkien and he will be showing me some ideas he has, I'll bring mine to the table, and we shall see what comes out of it.

I normally hate tattoos, but I want something I've not contemplated before that no one around me will have and something discreet.

4a4e3b65-9fe4-7f55.jpg

My friend Rubén (once Darth Furter on this forum) send me a copy of fellowship around the time the movie came out

I went and saw the movie and thought it was great. then i read Fellowship and was blown away. I bought the whole trilogy the next week.

Like Ren it has changed my life.

Now i don't mean Ren changed my life, I mean that LOTR changed my life like it did Ren's...

[EDIT]

Now I'm not saying then Ren hasn't changed my life in the 10 years I've known her, I'm just saying that for the purpose of this LOTR thread it holds no bearing on the discussion...

How is it that you, the mighty poster Stefan, begin to fumble like a 13 year school boy when it comes these threads started by Ren. :P

Oh and yes LotR changed my life back when I was 11 and it has had such a profound effect on my life as a whole as it opened such diverse avenues into different things, languages, history, culture and much more.

Never had an urge to take a tattoo based on anything Tolkien though.

I remember buying the first book to my friend for his birthday back in 1997. I was 12 back then. Neither of us knew it, but we heard "some good things about it". He loved it instantly. So I borrowed it off him (or bought my own copy, can't remember right now) and read it myself. I liked it quite a bit. I remember finishing the first book in about 2 weeks, the second in 5 days and the third in 1 or 2 days. It was a good read,as you can imagine. Great way to introduce children to literature.

I haven't revisited it in full since then so I have no idea what it would be like now, 15 years later.

Karol

I have to say, I'll read this to Dominic before i let him read it himself too young. I think there's an age threshold for these books as well as an appreciation for the writing style.

Eric carle right now, next best thing

Got my hopes up with this thread's title.

I was going to title it "My profession of love for all thing LOTR" but then I really wanted to draw -your- attention to my thread so I pulled out all the stops, hiked up my skirt, pulled down my shirt, whipped my hair and batted my eyelashes. ;)

I never heard of Lord Of The Rings until the films, and even then I never saw any trailers or paid attention. My friend wanted to see it so I went, and I thought it was awesome.

I read the books in middle school after I saw all the movies, they were good but I was never blown away by them. The Hobbit was my favorite, by far.

Eric carle right now, next best thing

Got my hopes up with this thread's title.

I was going to title it "My profession of love for all thing LOTR" but then I really wanted to draw -your- attention to my thread so I pulled out all the stops, hiked up my skirt, pulled down my shirt, whipped my hair and batted my eyelashes. ;)

I'll be lord of your ring anytime, sweetheart.

:fouetaa::eek2:

anyways,

:)

my task currently is to rework Misty Mountains Cold into something the children's choir can sing with harmony and in conjunction with Ose Shalom for our December concert.

if I wear my hair up at the concert, the audience will see my branding. LOL Something to contemplate. Ren: in full concert attire, pearls, heels, all black, elvish on her neck.

I had heard of The Lord of the Rings in high school or earlier, but I never knew anyone who had read them. I never saw anyone with the book(s) in their hand at lunch or on the bus, and it never came up in conversation. Nobody ever put the book(s) in my hand and said, "you must read these," the way that me and my best friends would talk about Michael Crichton, Tom Clancy, or the Shaara duo. Even the extensive differences between Winston Groom's Forrest Gump​ book and the movie warranted an enlightened lunchroom conversation, but never Tolkien.

It wasn't until my freshman year of undergrad, '99, that I saw someone watching an early trailer -- the one with Elijah Wood talking about how you felt that Middle-Earth was real and had really happened -- and it immediately clicked that this would be something I could/would like. Sure, I dug Star Wars and Willow and Braveheart, and this looked like it was in a similar vein. I really felt bad at having never read them, but none of my friends were open about their love of epic fantasy. Not being near any affordable bookstores on campus, I asked my family to keep their eyes out for them, and pretty soon, I had a paperback set of The Hobbit, TLOTR, and The Silmarillion. Some looked new, some were quite old and used, but all in good shape and from the same publisher, Unwin Paperbacks, I believe. I tried to start with The Sil, and the creation of the world bit was good, but what came next was slow going. Being so new to Tolkien's pantheon, I put it down and breezed through The Hobbit, and was then able to read through TLOTR with plenty of time to spare before the first film debuted in 2001. I never went back to The Sil until long after all three EE DVDs were on my shelf, and it's probably a superior series of epic events, but extremely compressed as it represents an entire age or two, instead of a few months. I'm not sure that anyone who crawled out from under a rock as I had done and never heard of JRRT could start with The Sil, but it'd be interesting to do the experiment on some aliens when they arrive. I do need to re-read the original TLOTR since adding a solitary hardback tome, but it's pretty far down the queue at this point WRT the other books I have to get through.

I wouldn't say that TLOTR has changed my life the way it has profound effects on others, but it has certainly enriched it for the better, and that's all I can really ask.

There are few books that have changed my life, meaning I finished them and actually FELT the change. LOTR was one. Pillars of the Earth was another. Will have to think if there are others. I think possibly HP did BUT that damn epilogue was atrocious.

oh, and since I enjoy my own penmanship I think I'll try to be sure to bring the exact replica of music that I'd like written on my neck to the artist.

:eek2:

Those smilies are so, you. Particularly that one...

I've only read the book once and it took me eighteen months of putting it down and picking it up again. The best thing I've ever read and I guess the next time I read it will be to my children. Healthy scares galore!

Ren I am surprised after reading your post that you did not go to the FOTR and TTT concerts at Radio City Music Hall in 2009 and 2010 respectively.

You have GOT to go to ROTK when that happens next year, I'm sure it will be a religious experience for you

http://www.theradiocitylotrconcert.com/

I know. Life sucks. Honestly. That was the start of my downturn in life. I was battling for my job, my last grandparent died, my father died, my job was reduced, things just came first. I plan on going to that concert for sure.

Hearing LOTR live is quite something. Definitely helps you appreciate the music more.

Karol - who already talked to Ren about the possibility of attending this concert

My friend Rubén (once Darth Furter on this forum) send me a copy of fellowship around the time the movie came out

I went and saw the movie and thought it was great. then i read Fellowship and was blown away. I bought the whole trilogy the next week.

what the ???

:o A myth has fallen. I thought you were a LOTR entusiast from your early years!

Heck i read the books just before ROTK, so that's one year after mighty stefan... :P

I'll say it now.

I havent read the hobbit. I wanted to wait until the film was made to have the coverart of the book with film merchandise to match my LOTR one volume edition... The wait has been too long.... My sister has it in spanish but i wanted to read it in english, like i did with LOTR.

Maybe you need it read to you :)

Tried that, the guy reading was more boring than if Tolkein read it himself.

also Bakshi/Rankin/Bass introduced me to LOTR... is that bad?

Despise?

Too strong a word, in retrospect. I love individual things and moments in them, but they never truly come together for me. Not bad movies, just sadly indiferent. Despise is too strong indeed

I will attend the rotk concert Jason. Hell will freeze over before I miss that. And yes Karol and I had mentioned getting some travelers coming this side of the pond for that. As for us going the other way, anyone up for that!?

what the ???

:o A myth has fallen. I thought you were a LOTR entusiast from your early years!

Heck i read the books just before ROTK, so that's one year after mighty stefan... :P

What myth? It's just you not paying attention?

Our mutual friend Rubén is responsible for turning me into a LOTR geek.

He is a purist though and doesn't like the films very much. I've tried to get him excited for The Hobbit, but so far the Starfish hairdo, the Bunnies of death and the third film has not helped me much in convincing him.

Since I started with Fellowship before going in to the books I am more open-minded when it comes to some of the changes Peter Jackson made (Gandalf knocking out Denethor is stupid though!)

I love both the films and the books, but for different reasons.

The movies are wonderful spectacles that despite all the special effects still have a heart. The books are sooo full of detail. It's a wonderful journey though the very personal imagination of a great, if unprofessional writer.

I will attend the rotk concert Jason. Hell will freeze over before I miss that. And yes Karol and I had mentioned getting some travelers coming this side of the pond for that. As for us going the other way, anyone up for that!?

Yeah, me and Ren have spoken about this. We need to arrange a European/UK meet for next summer. All invited. Serious.