RIP Marvin Hamlisch

Maglorfin

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention the fantasic tongue-in-cheeck score to 2009's "The Informant", which set the entire mood for the film. Rest in peace, Sir.

Oh yes, that was a definite highlight.

He was a fine composer, his legacy will live on in his excellent scores.

His work for 'Ordinary People,' Pachelbel and all, is highly underrated. The transition scene from Karen's suicide to phoning Berger is pitch perfect dramatically.

I was so saddened to read this news when I logged on this evening. Marvin Hamlisch was a damn fine songwriter, one of the best. My favourite song of his is probably Through the Eyes of Love from the film Ice Castles. You can hear Hamlisch's underscore, as well as Melissa Manchester's vocal version at the end of this clip.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WjosN1HaNA

I think I might have something in my eye, if you'll excuse me for a second.

It's not bad to go knowing that what you leave behind will be known forever.

:music: The Way We Were (Barbra Streisand)

Heard this news on the radio just after leaving work. Yes the Sting, but for me best known for his wacky and funny soundtrack being an essential ingredient in one of my favourite comedy movies, Woody Allen's 'Bananas' (1971).

, and of course the famous Quiero la Noche intro :D

I was so saddened to read this news when I logged on this evening. Marvin Hamlisch was a damn fine songwriter, one of the best. My favourite song of his is probably Through the Eyes of Love from the film Ice Castles. You can hear Hamlisch's underscore, as well as Melissa Manchester's vocal version at the end of this clip.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WjosN1HaNA

I think I might have something in my eye, if you'll excuse me for a second.

So sad!! I saw him just this past April at the ASCAP conference and he looked great. Makes you realize how anyone can go anytime. I didn't realize he worked on Ice Castles - such a beautiful song and I loved that girl - huge crush on her from this film when I was a kid. So sad. :( RIP

Can't say I'm very familiar with his work, but what I've heard I've always liked. And yes, the score to The Informat totally made the movie.

Rest in peace.

I completely agree but it's been trashed here more than once. Yes it's disco, but damn it if it isn't terrific.

Well I don't mind it being disco, it fit the movie and the era perfectly at the time! It was done intentionally that way, and it was done great! Conti's FYEO is also disco and still it's one of my favourite 007 scores.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not bad to go knowing that what you leave behind will be known forever.

But if Herrmann's gonna be forgotten in 50 years, surely Hamlisch will be forgotten earlier?

Who knows. It's difficult to predict in which order composers will be forgotten.