The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kendal_Ozzel

Ryan Keaveney on FSM says that Elfman has been involved with the film since early February.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=13&threadID=100844&archive=0

Depending on how long Tyler's orchestral sessions lasted (he recorded in mid-January), maybe Elfman was brought in because Tyler was doing something else?

Variety article:

Composer Brian Tyler’s score for Marvel’s “The Avengers: Age of Ultron” will try to pay homage to the music of films like “Star Wars,” “Superman” and “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”

No mention of Elfman.

EDIT: OOops, this article is from last July. Apologies to Mr. Big, who had already posted it here.

With that prospect, Silvestri could have done a much better score than the first one. Hell, if given free reign on that one he would have knocked it out of the park. As it is, is good, but feels restrained.

I'll believe it when I hear it. I don't need any of these new Superhero films to necessarily emulate Williams or Korngold, but a nice orchestrally dense fanfare would be welcome. I assume he would use Silvestri's main theme at least for the group. To change that again would be like what they had Zimmer do to Horner's perfectly acceptable and pleasant Spidey theme in ASM2.

They won't reuse it. Marvel clearly has no concern for musical continuity. They let their best theme, Doyle's Thor, fall into oblivion with the generic sequel.

Well, I'm basing it off of Tyler's quote:

With “The Avengers” sequel, Tyler (“Iron Man 3,” “Thor: The Dark World”) will attempt to reference the “Iron Man,” “Thor” and “Captain America” films in order to create a similar musical universe. “That’s the goal for sure,” he said. “You have to build in nostalgia and do it upfront so you can relate to it.”

While he doesn't reference the first Avengers directly, you would like to think that he would try use the most recognizable theme from all of those films to maintain consistency if that's his concern, especially since this is, you know, an Avengers film. He does mention two films he's done, but also Captain American, for which he scores neither. So the effort seems to be there.

The problem is that Iron Man 1 and 2, Incredible Hulk, and Thor each had their own themes for their own main characters that were not brought into Silvestri's score for The Avengers. Silvestri only brought in his own Captain America theme for that one, in addition to writing a new main theme for the whole group.

Since Avengers 1, Tyler scored Thor 2 and Iron Man 3, and since the Cap theme was re-used in Cap 2, it IS conceivable that Avengers 2 actually could have musicial continuity - Tyler's Thor and Iron Man themes, and Silvestri's Captain America and group theme. It's doubtful Hulk will be scored with anything Elfman, Armstrong, or Silvestri used, though, but who knows - Maybe that's exactly why Elfman got poster credit :P

In other news, there's hype that there's a "big announcement" coming next week

My guess? They've filmed a post-credits scene featuring Spider-man, setting up his appearance in Civil War, and that new scene will be scored with Elfman's Spider-man theme.

Nope, it was just some contest where you can win a trip to the world premiere

Time for another teaser for a trailer!

Are they teasing a ScarJo / Hulk romance in this movie? Wouldn't it be better to hook her up with Cap America (I haven't seen Cap 2, is that hinted in that movie?)

The big Iron Man suit pushes this into giant robot anime territory which is kind of blah.

And what's with those stupid shoes Black Widow has? Who could walk in those?

Her little lightsaber things is what I don't understand

Girls walk around in wedges all the time. But yea, does't make sense for "ready to fight" footwear

Time for another teaser for a trailer!

Are they teasing a ScarJo / Hulk romance in this movie? Wouldn't it be better to hook her up with Cap America (I haven't seen Cap 2, is that hinted in that movie?)

She'll have banged all the Avengers by fourth ensemble movie.

I haven't seen Cap 2, but based solely on The Avengers, they were definitely hinting at a connection between Banner and Black Widow with a lot of little moments. They even had their own subplot in a way. I assumed that was the direction they were heading.

I too didn't notice it the first time I watched the trailer. Odd.

I wonder if youtube added them in later?

The commenters are saying if you download the video, it isn't like that - as if youtube is applying some sort of stabilizing feature.