The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kendal_Ozzel

Was the "tone" of the film more like Avengers 1, or more like Winter Soldier? Or maybe right in between those?

I watched the film twice too, but would have been more than satisfied with one viewing. I can't possibly imagine what more you could get out of a decent popcorn flick to warrant 8 sittings within the span of a month or two...you're all crazy!

Yeah, I mainly just check them out as excuses for social excursions. Otherwise, I wouldn't push to watch any of them again, except Captain America 2, which I got to watch last night and enjoyed quite a bit. I'll post about it later.

That interviewer has caused similar problems before, with Quentin Tarantino

http://www.avclub.com/article/robert-downey-jrs-charm-no-match-incredibly-awkwar-218424

I don't think Avengers needs this kind of viral promotion; I get the feeling that RDJ was genuinely uncomfortable/unhappy about the line of questioning.

Well, to be quite honest, the art of interview is sort of dying. Most of those need to adhere to known things, so you only are expected to ask some predictable question to which you know the answers, compliment their work and be done in 10 minutes. I appreciate that the guy was trying to change that but both his style and persistence are doing him no favours. It wasn't really a time and place for such a thing.

But, still, it did promote the film. No doubt about that. ;)

Karol

My favourite Australian interviewer is Kerry O'Brien on ABC but his style is more appropriate for intimate one-on-ones where questions are meant to provoke more revealing answers from the subject.

However this journo sounds a bit too ambitious for his own good. The setting isn't appropriate for provocative questions.

Well I must say the movie was supremely average. The entire 140 minute runtime was a flatline - no peaks, no valleys. Just average all round. Writing, dialogue, new characters, action scenes, villain, hundreds of faceless robot thugs. Whole thing was the epitome of average. The first Avengers, not a masterpiece in itself, was a much better, funnier and generally more fun blockbuster.

Alex will rate this 3/10.

Well I must say the movie was supremely average. The entire 140 minute runtime was a flatline - no peaks, no valleys. Just average all round. Writing, dialogue, new characters, action scenes, villain, hundreds of faceless robot thugs. Whole thing was the epitome of average. The first Avengers, not a masterpiece in itself, was a much better, funnier and generally more fun blockbuster.

But Hurmm... they all are average. By design. Why would you expect anything different?

Karol

The Averagers?

But Hurmm... they all are average. By design. Why would you expect anything different?

Karol

Not really. I wouldn't call Guardians of the Galaxy average. Average in its ambitions perhaps. But not in terms of execution or entertainment.

It's because feminists don't want those words to be used anymore even as jokes. They're the new N words. They shouldn't be in the common vocabulary because they're seen as hateful.

Karol

Indeed. Not sure why you go see an average movie about 8 times though! ;)

Karol

Indeed. Not sure why you go see an average movie about 8 times though! ;)

Same reason you rewatch any blockbusters. ;)

Karol

Ummm.... so what? She's a fictional character.

Karol

It's not that she's a fictional character. It's that she's only major character who's a woman in their entire really long and average franchise. And the prostethic leg comment is dumb. Renner is playing a canonically disabled character. So essentially they made a boring joke they wouldn't have done about, say... Tony Stark, for example.

I can certainly appreciate your point of view. But I thought we were talking about some stupid comments from two actors who were making fun of a fictional character. Hardly worth bothering.

Karol

I don't actually bother more than my previous comment. I just dislike the idea that stuff like misoginy and the like can't be expressed through fictional characters because "oh they're fictional".

I wonder, if this franchise keeps going indefinitely, when they'll adapt something that doesn't go into a Smurfette situation by default every time.

Why's it funny to joke that Black Widow is the slut and whore of the group, but it's not funny to joke that Nick Fury is the n*gger of the group?

That represents a double standard in society.

It's just a joking comment referring to the plot development between the three movies. It's sort of true, she's being quite close with both of those before ending up with Banner. If a man did that, he'd be a "slut" too. That's it.

It's quite an unfortunate thing to say during press junket (people are very jumpy). But, again, it's not worth it. Clearly, this wasn't intended as an offensive comment. You throw around words like "misogyny". What kind of proof have you got, other than this one clearly sarcastic comment, to solidify your accusations?

Do I want men and women to be equal? Sure, if they aren't. But, at the same time, it's not like "women" ever stop themselves from making "misandric" comments, just because they can. In fact, they do it all the time. It's not fair the rules if they don't work both ways.

Karol

It's just a joking comment referring to the plot development between the three movies. It's sort of true, she's being quite close with both of those before ending up with Banner. If a man did that, he'd be a "slut" too. That's it.

It's quite an unfortunate thing to say during press junket (people are very jumpy). But, again, it's not worth it. Clearly, this wasn't intended as an offensive comment. You throw around words like "misogyny". What kind of proof have you got, other than this one clearly sarcastic comment, to solidify your accusations?

If a man does that they don't call him a slut. But if they do, maybe things are changing... in the wrong direction.

I'm not talking about any misoginy here, I was referring to the idea that "it's a fictional character" disqualifies any opressive idea expressed through it from actually being such a thing. Which simply makes no sense. Because things are expressed through fiction. I'm just nitpicking you. Sssh. There, there.

(As for your last comment, which I have no idea where it comes from, misoginy and "misandry" aren't equivalent phenomenons. "Misandry" is the word they made up for when women are angry at misoginy. The reasons behind this are very long and possibly boring to you guys and Jay probably won't like me to delve into politics.)

Oh OK, I get you. No, of course. Fiction can do a lot of harm.

But this little "incident" is just another stupid headline.

BTW do you know exactly what was cut from this film?

Besides, I think the word "slut" (or slag in British) has sort of lost its power lately. It's not quite as offensive as it used to be.

Karol

Besides, I think the word "slut" (or slag in British) has sort of lost its power lately. It's not quite as offensive as it used to be.

I don't know. Backstory of Black Widow and the twins and probably some other stuff. I read it in an article about Whedon this evening. But I haven't seen the finished film.

As for the second thing, I might overreact a bit due to me translating in my head.

I don't know Backstory of Black Widow and the twins and probably some other stuff. I read it in an article about Whedon this evening. But I haven't seen the finished film.

As for the second thing, I might overreact a bit due to me translating in my head.

It's fascinating how different words and profanities trigger people in different languages. I have a lot of Indian friends and in Punjabi the worst thing you can say is about your family. In fact, I think most are about that. Something that to me would be laughable.

Can you give me a link to that Whedon thing? I'm really interested. And yeah, it's possible stuff is missing. But then, this film is so overcrowded already that I can't imagine getting any more information would improve things any.

Karol

I thought it was disappointingly average, actually

Somewhat fun in places. But mostly really going through the motions.

Karol

That's an apt description for Avengers 2. What's NOT going through the motions in it, apart from introducing some new heroes? Everything else is recycled, and doesn't work as well. Not a problem in itself though, because that's what blockbusters are expected to do anyway. But I felt a distinct lack of bring entertained by what was happening on screen this time, even during the action sequences, which I usually relish if done well.

Anyway for me the best Marvel movie yet is still Ang Lee's Hulk. And most people hate that.

I like Hulk too. But that isn't the type of movie Marvel is making here. Just pick up any copy of Avengers comic to see what it's about. All those over the top in final acts originate from tgat. All tgose big heroic splah oages with everything happening at once.

Karol

Anyway for me the best Marvel movie yet is still Ang Lee's Hulk. And most people hate that.

It wasn't about 'cool' and 'dumb entertainment'. With other words, don't show this movie to a classroom full of high-testosterone 14-year-olds.

A lot of people just have sophomore tastes, from early to old age. That's not wisened cynism, that's just the way it is, mirrored in popular culture (that has gotten progressively worse if you count the rise of reality tv etc. not strictly as a blessing). The problem with HULK is that it's just the wrong outlet for Lee's refined sensibilities. It's an old Universal tv series about a green giant for godssake.