The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kendal_Ozzel

Good to see Whedon returning. I was quite skeptical when he was originally hired, but he really nailed the characters. Also good to see Marvel's not doing their usual get new directors and hope it works out bit. I am still skeptical of two comedy directors doing the new Cap movie, but maybe they will surprise as well.

Hopefully the show allows us to see a lot of the minor characters in the universe.

Great news.

I think Silvestri's return is inevitable, given that both Whedon and Marvel really liked what he brought to the table. Hope he comes back too.

I'm going to wait until all sixteen inevitable Avengers movies are made, and then sit down and watch them all together.

But I am enjoying the hell out of Firefly.

I liked Avengers, but Captain America didn't get enough action...I look forward to more awesomeness in the 2nd. They should put in Natalie Portman in the next one, I say.

I have a feeling it will be better, like X2, Spider-man 2, and The Dark Knight

I don't know. Whedon set a really high bar with the first film, and I don't think he can top the spectacle there. But more story would be nice for Avengers 2.

That's exactly what I meant. I expect Avengers 2 to have a more detailed plot than the first. The studio will give him more room to do what he wants to do. The first film was all jokes and battles.

Pretty much.

To me, Marvel Comics have always been more fun than DC, which to me always came off as more serious. To see the films reflect this is nice, though the fun doesn't have to translate into stupid humor as it occasionally does in the Marvel films. Avengers got it right in my eyes so hopefully Whedon came weave a good story without compromising the quality. Now that he's got time until the Avengers hopefully he'll have some input in how Avengers 2 is going to be so he can set it up in the earlier films.

The major difference for me between Marvel and other films is more the visual style than the content. They all look the same, there's no visual distinction from the director(s). There aren't any cool shots, use of color, whatever. It's mundane filmmaking.

Good scripts would help too, they are few and far in between.

Love that term emo angst

I live and breathe it everyday teaching middle school

They should bring back school beatings! That will snap the kids out of it!

It's all this stuff of Vampires and Werewolves falling in love.....

Release date announced for Avengers 2: May 1, 2015

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057917?refCatId=13

Rumor has it Vin Diesel will play The Vision in it

http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/08/16/avengers-2-rumor-vin-diesel-to-play-the-vision/

The major difference for me between Marvel and other films is more the visual style than the content. They all look the same, there's no visual distinction from the director(s). There aren't any cool shots, use of color, whatever. It's mundane filmmaking.

Are you serious? Thor, Captain America and The Avengers have separate, distinct visual styles. CA has that soft, diffuse look a lot of 1930s and 1940s films had (but it was shot digitally). Thor was shot with anamorphic film, with a fairly bright palette. The Avengers has a clean, more realistic look.

And Disney and Marvel officially scheduled Avengers 2 for a May 1, 2015 release.

Thor was shot with anamorphic film, with a fairly bright palette.

And Disney and Marvel officially scheduled Avengers 2 for a May 1, 2015 release.

Plus, there's about a hundred different shots using Dutch angles. I think story wise the films all tried to have a certain feel, but to say that Thor and Captain America are the same is pretty absurd.

Are you serious? Thor, Captain America and The Avengers have separate, distinct visual styles. CA has that soft, diffuse look a lot of 1930s and 1940s films had (but it was shot digitally). Thor was shot with anamorphic film, with a fairly bright palette. The Avengers has a clean, more realistic look.

And The Incredible Hulk has a different visual style to all these as well. Darker colours, cameras sweeping over new locations, handheld... like a modern action film. And true, Thor had all these shots imitating comic book panels. Captain America also had the purposely fake looking green screens.

The different films look coherent, but not the same. The Avengers is perfectly well made, with an excellent use of its aspect ratio to fit action sequences (look at the fixed shot of the plane when the Hulk is on it, when Iron Man first goes up against the aliens, or the whole assemble scene, etc)

• 2 months later...

Cinematographer Seamus McGarvey says that Whedon has asked him back for Avengers 2:

http://collider.com/avengers-2-sequel-seamus-mcgarvey-godzilla/211156/

He can't say whether he's committed yet, but if he is... I expect Wally Pfister to make another snide comment about the 'awful' camerawork for Avengers 2 in late 2015...

I think Avengers 2 will make more money at the box office than Star Wars 7, unless Star Wars 7 gets some really, really big name actors attached to it

It doesn't need big name actors. Its the first Star Wars film in 10 years (no one cares about the Clone Wars or look at that movie as anything other than a cash grab), and will likely see the return of many of the original characters. It will be a huge film. Honestly, 2015 is looking to be absolutely stacked in terms of big films. Of course, I'm sure the proposed Justice League movie will not release then, not that it would be that big if they indeed try to use different actors for Bats and Supes.

I think Avengers 2 will make more money at the box office than Star Wars 7, unless Star Wars 7 gets some really, really big name actors attached to it

harrison ford counts as a big name?

Really if they get the big three, i think that the hype for seeing post-ROTJ films with the original cast will make this thing as big as TPM.

The other two sequels wont have that much impact. Unless the 1st film is amazingly good, which i doubt.....

The Avengers made billions because 12-18 year olds wanted to see comic book action led by rdj and other hunky guys plus ScarJo. The 12-18 year olds of 2015 will barely know the OT let alone the actors from them

may 2015... will conflict with the new star wars film.

I think one of the two will get moved around.

I think Episode 7 will end up being a May 2016 release, even though Disney and Lucasfilm already have a writer and closing in on a director -- they probably are going to take their time and go full-speed when they have a good script ready. Not to mention Avengers 2 is a huge cash cow, and early May releases are very good for Marvel movies.

Honestly, 2015 is looking to be absolutely stacked in terms of big films. Of course, I'm sure the proposed Justice League movie will not release then, not that it would be that big if they indeed try to use different actors for Bats and Supes.

I don't think we'll hear more about the JL development until the new chairman of WB is crowned next year-- and you have three very ambitious guys jockeying for the coveted position. Each one is trying to undermine one another, which explains the slow progression on their 2014 productions.

If the JL movie ever gets made, WB isn't going to risk confusing people by using a new Superman actor (Christian Bale has already put his foot down, so Batman will have to be recast). If next year's Man of Steel is successful, they'll use Henry Cavill's Superman in the JL film for sure.

• 4 months later...