The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kendal_Ozzel

That might be slightly out of context and sound slightly too strong. He's obviously being self-deprecating in a Whedon-esque way. But his commentary track is quite candid.

Karol

I always check them out. Actor commentaries are usually self-serving and useless, so are producers'. But directors, writers and editors often have many interesting to say (unless you're Brett Ratner, of course). I would put Whedon's commentary up there with excellent Peter Jackson ones (yes, even on The Hobbit films). I always learn something interesting from those and it gives me an excuse to half watch the film while doing something else.

I still need to hear Whedon's The Avengers track. It was never released in the UK, much to many fans' outrage.

Karol

Finally watched this film yesterday. Cool effects, but the story seemed to consist of a bunch of random stuff?

Also didn't notice much of the music at all. Blurb of Silvestri's Captain America theme and Tyler's Iron Man theme.

Was REALLY surprised to hear Silvestri's end title music from the first theme being repeated in this one's end credits too.

If the movie makes like Silvestri's work so much, then do the sensible thing and bring him back for future films!

What did you think of the new hybrid theme? It's not as noticeable in the film, aside from a few moments (given that they're juggling between the styles of three composers). But you can hear it very clearly over the opening of end credits.

Karol

I don't like commentaries explaining the movie as such. I like them talking about the development, behind the scenes stuff. Maybe offering some insight into things I never thought of.

Karol

What did you think of the new hybrid theme? It's not as noticeable in the film, aside from a few moments (given that they're juggling between the styles of three composers). But you can hear it very clearly over the opening of end credits.

Karol

Listened to that away from the film a fair few times. It's definitely very cool, though I'm not sure it is actually better than Silvestri's original one.

It seems really rather busy. The original one may have been simpler, but it was certainly effective.

Would be cool if both could be used in future films to signify both the original and new Avengers teams.

I honestly think there is solely a psychological reason behind the popularity of Alan Silvestri's fanfare. It was used very well in the film and mixed properly. And people have seen the film many times now. But in 2012, one would say it was a memorable tune. In fact everybody complained how it doesn't live up to his Captain America theme. We just got used to it.

The new one won't get to that level purely because it's not used well and mixed really bad. Nothing to do with composition itself. Simple as that, really.

Karol

I honestly think there is solely a psychological reason behind the popularity of Alan Silvestri's fanfare. It was used very well in the film and mixed properly. And people have seen the film many times now. But in 2012, one would say it was a memorable tune. In fact everybody complained how it doesn't live up to his Captain America theme. We just got used to it.

The new one won't get to that level purely because it's not used well and mixed really bad. Nothing to do with composition itself. Simple as that, really.

Karol

Indeed the mixing can't have helped either. As for the original theme, I always quite liked it.

Not quite as gloriously old-fashioned as Captain America's theme, but then it wasn't meant to be.

It is quite different and effectively so! Bit of a shame that even in the original film, neither the main theme nor the Captain America one got much play-time.

But at least when the theme did make its appearance, it certainly made its presence felt too!

Finally watched this film yesterday. Cool effects, but the story seemed to consist of a bunch of random stuff?

Also didn't notice much of the music at all. Blurb of Silvestri's Captain America theme and Tyler's Iron Man theme.

Was REALLY surprised to hear Silvestri's end title music from the first theme being repeated in this one's end credits too.

If the movie makes like Silvestri's work so much, then do the sensible thing and bring him back for future films!

And it wasn't like Silvestri's plate was full, he only had Zemeckis' The Walk on tap. Why couldn't Marvel let Whedon bring him back? Tyler and Elfman weren't exactly starving artists either.

Silvestri's Theme was serviceable. But Elfman's re-working is I would definitely better.

Silvestri had the main melody line which was not very catchy thought he "chorus" or the "fanfare" line was.

Elfman has made the main melody line much bolder and a superb rising fanfare. It sounds much more heroic and is much better structured and better incorporates the fanfare at the end of the theme. Elfman also adds a pretty nice interlude which is I think essential for any good theme to warrant lengthy concert suites.

Overall I think Eflman's re-working is definitely has pumped up Silvestri's foundation and made it bolder and more memorable. The trouble is Silvestri's is embedded in our minds. I took quite some time to get over Silvestri's theme to be even able to HEAR what Elfman had done. I wish we had had Elfman's version from the start. But its pretty good. A very strong superhero theme I would say.

Of course Silverstri's Captain America theme has been mentioned which is the best theme in the MCU. A pity it isn't played very often. Its balls out old fashioned masculine.

I think the reason for its lack of use is it does not have a good action variant which can be employed in short bursts during action scenes or heroic scenes. Same was the case with Silvestri's Avengers theme. Elfman's has an amazing action scene progression than can be easily used.

Again speaks to the strength of theme construction that the theme can be malleably be used. What use is a great theme when it can't be used in action scenes which is the bread and butter of a superhero movie?

Just watched Age Of Ultron.

Is it weird that I found the fight choreography and the way it was shot more interesting on Agents Of Shield then in this film?

The action left a lot to be desired in that movie. It had a few cool "gags" - bits with Cap's shield, or the Hulk, or the Iron Man/Hulkbuster suit - but the fighting was pretty blah - and actually hard to follow at times, IMO.

Age of Ultron is the MCU movie that feels the most like a Marvel comic book - with all of the upsides and downsides that come with that.

Age of Ultron is the MCU movie that feels the most like a Marvel comic book - with all of the upsides and downsides that come with that.

Isn't that true for The Incredible Hulk too?

Not so much for me, but it's been almost 10 years since I've seen that movie so it's hard to remember. There's something about the clutteredness of this movie, the strange side-tangents and sudden reappearances of characters (Thor especially), that really reminds me of some of the stuff I've been reading lately (some of the 00's event comics like Civil War, a bunch of 1970s Fantastic Four, Avengers, and Thor comics).

Personally, I wouldn't know, I don't read comic books, but it's a comment I often heard about The Incredible Hulk and more close to the comic book was exactly what Marvel ordered after the failure of Lee's Hulk.

That's the first time I hear it put that way. I vividly remember how the Marvel fans were relieved with Marvel's The Incredible Hulk. They all hated Hulk because Lee didn't have a clue what Marvel is about. Marvel made The Incredible Hulk to make up for Lee's attempt.

That's the first time I hear it put that way. I vividly remember how the Marvel fans were relieved with Marvel's The Incredible Hulk. They all hated Hulk because Lee didn't have a clue what Marvel is about. Marvel made The Incredible Hulk to make up for Lee's attempt.

True, but there's a difference between feeling like a comic book and feeling like a specific Marvel title. Hence Bloodboal's statement that:

Ang Lee's Hulk felt more comic-book-y to me. At least visually.

Hulk looks more like a comic book. The Incredible Hulk is closer to the tone and style of story telling found in the comic book of the same name.

Actually, you're taking Cremers word for it, which was secondhand at best. I was just trying to clarify everyone's positions, or to put it another way, boost my post count -- Stiff style!

Fuck you!

Shut the fuck up!

01 - Personal attacks will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20175#entry719271

Ang Lee humbly bows down to the Marvel fans: "My problem is that I took the whole thing (Hulk) too seriously. I should have had more fun with it, instead of all the psychodrama!"

Alex