The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kendal_Ozzel

Yup, I read about that a few months back - that Fox had the rights to use Quicksilver (and the Scarlet Witch too I think) in their X-men films, but not EXCLUSIVE rights (like most of the other characters that appear in them), so now both the Disney/Marvel Cinematic Universe Universe and Fox/X-Men Universe will have those characters (Quicksilver and I'm pretty sure The Scarlet Witch too). I think there's also a character that Sony gets to use in their Spider-man movies that Marvel can also use in their movies, but I forget which one.

First shots of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver

http://screencrush.com/avengers-2-scarlet-witch-quicksilver-set-photos/

I didn't realize this was filming already.

They started filming second-unit stuff in South Africa a few weeks ago. I expect Disney to release a press release saying the film begun production once they move filming to London.

From what I understand, Marvel/Disney can use characters that are a part of The Avengers, which is why Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are being used. It'll be interesting to see how far they'll take that loophole. Spider-Man at one point was part of the Avengers, so they could actually go there unless the agreement with Sony says otherwise?

There are some characters that can be used by multiple parties, though. For example, Kingpin was the bad guy in Fox's Daredevil film, but I believe Sony could use him in a Spider-man film if they wanted to (Though they are clearly going with Sinister Six bad guys for the next half-decade or so right now)

Yep, Guybrush has it right. Marvel can use QS/SW for some reason that they were in Avengers comics, or something like that. I don't remember exactly why, but fox can too. As a whole, however, Marvel doesn't own any of the X-Men, Spider-Man, or the F4.

And I think Daredevil and Elektra will revert back to Disney/Marvel from Fox if Fox does't make another Daredevil movie in some certain amount of years (but I don't know how many).

Elektra & DareDevil already reverted! Marvel is making a show about him on Netflix! Which personally, as much as I love the character, he's better suited for. Oh, and the answer is five years then the rights revert. Which is weird b/c we've gone almost 8 without a F4 movie...and since ever for a good F4 movie. :(

And I think Daredevil and Elektra will revert back to Disney/Marvel from Fox if Fox does't make another Daredevil movie in some certain amount of years (but I don't know how many).

Nobody wants another Daredevil movie.

I would. If done right, a Daredevil movie could be really good. Some of the darker elements of Mark Steven Johnson's film worked pretty well. Affleck was completely miscast and the CGI was terrible.

I they were to do a real DD movie, it would have been a proper adult stuff. Like Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear origin. He turns up in costume on the last two pages and the whole thing is great.

Karol

I saw the film in the theater when it came out and I was 23, with a new exciting girlfriend and all her college friends. Everybody loved it, and the soundtrack too (the song album I mean). It certainly helped that I had a crush on Jennifer Garner at the time :)

It wasn't until way later that I found out the majority of people thought the movie was a total crapfest. I haven't seen it in a decade but I'd love to watch it again, both as an adult and because I've heard the Director's Cut is like a totally different movie.

It is funny how the movie never comes up in discussions of superhero movies at all. I don't remember it being particularly offensive at all.

Daredevil was alright as a low rent version of Batman and Spider-Man mixed together. But, as a major Hollywood movie and potential tentpole it was very poor. The SFX were laughable at times, and the dialogue was very stilted being delivered unusually poorly by all involved.

The Director's Cut is better in regards to story and plot and definitely makes for a more enjoyable experience. That being said, its not rocket science that it didn't get a sequel.

I've never read a Daredeveil comic

And Alex, Koray was joking, he was referencing this conversation:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20559&page=358#entry991227

Let me put it this way, Jason. The most classic stories on the character were written by Frank Miller. They are, as you can imagine, bit edgier than your average comic. Same goes for Electra. To do them justice you'd have to go with R rating.

From that perspective the film looks really undercooked and cartoony.

Karol

Right, but I didn't go into the film with any of that baggage of knowing how could the characters and stories could be, etc. I just went in expecting a fun superhero romp and it delivered... to me, at the time, anyway. If I watched it today I might hate it, who knows.

• 3 months later...

Why not just create a new character instead? Equality is paramount, but this smacks of hamfisted desperation.

I don't exactly think Marvel has hit the bottom of the proverbial barrel here. They're only a tad too financially secure to fall back on desperation during these times.

I could personally not care any less about Thor, but it sounds like they're trying to reach a new audience by using an already established character instead of working from the ground up.

Probably will only be temporary (claims by the publisher notwithstanding), the old Thor will reclaim the hammer, and if this play is successful then they'll figure out a way to branch off with the female version.

There's nothing that really has to be retcon'd to make it work. None of the original canon is being messed with. The nature of the character, at least as I understand it, allows for something like this to happen easily and logically.