Navajo Joe

Guns For San Sebastian

Drama

The Untouchables

Days Of Heaven

Once Upon A Time In America

Cinema Paradiso

The Mission

The Thing (not really a drama but certainly not a western)

That's more or less what I started out listening to, and if you like what you hear there you can start branching out to his smaller or lesser known scores.

[media=]

^ I saw that played on the night and it reduced me to man tears.

You don't even have to be there to be reduced to tears.

Some say the film is too schmaltzy, I think they're just resisting their own urges.

I too will now be introduced to Morricone since I only have The Mission and Cinema Paradiso.

The main theme to Once Upon a Time in the West is one my all- time favorites, if not the top favorite.

Sent from Tapatalk

Is it bad that I don't have any?

Well you might discover you've been missing a lot, once you start to discover Ennio's music. The Thing and TGtBatU are absolute musts, and there are so many other favourites ...

The main theme to Once Upon a Time in the West is one my all- time favorites, if not the top favorite.

Sent from Tapatalk

It's certainly up there. Undoubtedly, Jill's America is my all time favourite melody in a score.

Some day I'll get some Ennio. For now I already have rows of CDs I haven't listened to yet

You're starting to sound like me.

Though I have plenty of Morricone. I regularly listen to TGTBATU (very fun western score with some hands down standouts) and Once Upon a Time in the West (gorgeous score), have The Thing and The Mission but haven't listened to them much, have Fat Man and Little Boy (not listened yet), plus a three disc sampler of Morricone themes that is too much for one sitting...unless your last name is Savas.

With Ennio it's all about the achingly lush strings and a healthy side dish of acoustic experimentation. As a film composer, he possibly has the most unique sound out there, moreso even than Barry and Vangelis.

Hmmm so he doesn't use a traditional orchestra? Brass and woodwind sections?

Hmmm so he doesn't use a traditional orchestra? Brass and woodwind sections?

No woodwind sections? Haha. Go listen to Gabriel's Oboe, that's about as great as woodwind work gets.

As Quint said, I also believe Morricone probably has the most unique musical voice out there. And I'm a sucker for his big lyrical themes. I have to give more of his westerns a chance though.

Days of Heaven is marvellous, and Two Mules for Sister Sara has beautiful choral tracks. Also, check out the Yo Yo Ma recording that resets Morricone for the cello.

Of all time, by any composer?

Yes.

Days of Heaven is marvellous, and Two Mules for Sister Sara has beautiful choral tracks. Also, check out the Yo Yo Ma recording that resets Morricone for the cello.

Two Mules is brilliant. His most underrated western, I think. So cool.