Williams talks Tanglewood, remembers Hamlisch

Miguel Andrade

Thank you for posting this Miguel. A nice remembrance of Hamlisch and a lovely interview in other respects.

I wonder what part of Tintin they were talking about that is new to the orchestra? Great interview though, he has such a soothing voice haha!

I wonder what part of Tintin they were talking about that is new to the orchestra? Great interview though, he has such a soothing voice haha!

I think it is The Adventure Continues since that has been his usual selection in the past few concerts that featured music from Tintin.

I think it is The Adventure Continues since that has been his usual selection in the past few concerts that featured music from Tintin.

I'm may wrong but I thought Williams played The Adventure Continues with them already? So I thought we'd get to hear something other than that? I'm probably imagining things lol...

I'm may wrong but I thought Williams played The Adventure Continues with them already? So I thought we'd get to hear something other than that? I'm probably imagining things lol...

It was The Adventure Continues, and it seems Williams has renamed it in the concert form as The Duel. Programme of Tanglewood on Parade.

And Williams was obviously refering to the Tanglewood Music Center Orchestra which comprises of students of the Tanglewood Music Center, the Boston Symphony's summer institute for young professional musicians, who have probably not played this music before.

It was The Adventure Continues, and it seems Williams has renamed it in the concert form as The Duel. Programme of Tanglewood on Parade.

And Williams was obviously refering to the Tanglewood Music Center Orchestra which comprises of students of the Tanglewood Music Center, the Boston Symphony's summer institute for young professional musicians, who have probably not played this music before.

The program listed online is incomplete. In addition to Close Encounters and "The Duel" (interesting note - since the last performance of this piece in Boston, Williams added a sustained brass note through the first false ending, presumably to keep the audience from clapping) Williams conducted "The Sea Battle", aka Sir Francis and the Unicorn. All the Williams pieces were perfomed by the Boston Pops.

The program listed online is incomplete. In addition to Close Encounters and "The Duel" (interesting note - since the last performance of this piece in Boston, Williams added a sustained brass note through the first false ending, presumably to keep the audience from clapping) Williams conducted "The Sea Battle", aka Sir Francis and the Unicorn. All the Williams pieces were perfomed by the Boston Pops.

Whoa!!! He did Sir Francis and The Unicorn?? Holy amazingness, that is fantastic! I hope a video of that performance will come up eventually :D

Well I am glad to be proven wrong in this case. And that piece must have been new to the Boston Pops. :D

Man I would have loved to hear Sir Francis and the Unicorn played live! Its one of my favourite Williams pieces in recent years.

Could you provide a little more detail into the performance of The Sea Battle? Was is just like the OST version or were there any significant changes?

Thanks in advance!

Could you provide a little more detail into the performance of The Sea Battle? Was is just like the OST version or were there any significant changes?

Thanks in advance!

It was edited from the OST version, though I don't think I heard any new material. It sounded to me like an abridged version of the original.

Thanks in advance!

It was edited from the OST version, though I don't think I heard any new material. It sounded to me like an abridged version of the original.

How awsome was it?? Did the orchestra do the piece justice? As usuall there is some difficult brass writing from Williams.... Awww man I would love to hear it. Thanks!