Bob Hoskins diagnosed with Parkinson's, retires from acting

Koray Savas

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this early today and really bummed my day. I will truly miss him, he's always been one my favorite actors ever since I first watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit and he totally stole the show as Smee...

I wish him the best, but I am truly sad of slowly seeing him go.

Sad news as he is a great actor, sadder still because he is diagnosed with Parkinson's.

Such sad news :( He was delicious and absolutely unforgettable as Smee!

He has gotten to play Smee twice, the second time in the 2011 mini-series Neverland. I have yet to see this second performance, but his original in Hook was indeed one of the most memorable in the film.

Come to think of it I haven't seen the chap in anything for absolutely ages. In the UK he's without a doubt best remembered for his sterling turn in the British classic The Long Good Friday.

He has gotten to play Smee twice, the second time in the 2011 mini-series Neverland.

Wow, I didn't know that! Now I gotta see this too!

He's not really in it all that much. And definitely doesn't bring the life or energy he did the first time. Probably only did it for a paycheck or because he enjoyed the role the first time.

Come to think of it I haven't seen the chap in anything for absolutely ages. In the UK he's without a doubt best remembered for his sterling turn in the British classic The Long Good Friday.

Absolutely. And BRAZIL. And MONA LISA. Many good ones.

It's not that sort of movie silly.

Ok but it's on the list of "Lee thinks I should watch this" movies?

Gangster movie, very eighties British, possibly not your cup of tea.

Who said I didn't like gangster?

It's not that sort of movie silly.

Ok but it's on the list of "Lee thinks I should watch this" movies?

Definitely not. I'm merely recommending it as a British classic well worth watching.

Gangster movie Ren, very eighties British, possibly not your cup of tea.

80's? It's from 1980, but has more 70's elements in it, IMO. Love the film myself. Here's an FSM thread I did on it:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=5967&forumID=1&archive=0

I personally definitely think of it as the gritty early eighties, but you also have a good point. It's mainly because the IRA connection, which was always in the news growing up and the many faces in the movie which I recognise from tv in that decade. Moreover, Mirren's character is definitely a woman who was quick to embrace the eighties glam in terms of fashion and hair, which are decidedly unseventies. Back then she would have been dressed very sophisticated, as the character required.