Star Trek: The Original Series 15 CD Box Set coming from La-La Land Records Dec 4th 2012

Jay

48206910151179476523755.jpg

For Immediate Release

August 8, 2012
COMING SOON FROM LA-LA LAND RECORDS
STAR TREK®: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION

Burbank, CA -- La-La Land Records proudly announces its forthcoming release of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION, a limited edition 15-CD box set, showcasing all episode scores as heard in all three original seasons of the landmark sci-fi television series STAR TREK (1966-1969). This special collection of ground-breaking, iconic music, from one of television’s most acclaimed and beloved series, has been newly remastered from studio elements and features hours of stellar material previously unreleased in any format.

Original series composers Alexander Courage, George Duning, Jerry Fielding, Gerald Fried, Sol Kaplan, Samuel Matlovsky, Joseph Mullendore and Fred Steiner are all represented in this deluxe collection, their historic work meticulously assembled, restored and remastered to ensure the finest presentation and sound quality possible. A 100-Page CD Booklet, featuring exclusive, in-depth liner notes from film music writer and Star Trek historian Jeff Bond, complements this attractive set, which is housed in a hardcover slipcase.

The collection is expected to be released in late fall 2012. It will be a limited pressing, but the total number of units to be manufactured has yet to be determined. You can help the label decide how many units will ultimately be pressed by visiting www.lalalandrecords.com now and signing up for the STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION MAILING LIST.

STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION is licensed by CBS Consumer Products and produced in cooperation with GNP Crescendo Records, the longtime home of pioneering classic Star Trek television and film soundtracks. GNP Crescendo’s Neil Norman has allowed for episode scores previously and exclusively released by Crescendo to be newly expanded and remastered for this box set, in order to make the collection as comprehensive as possible.

This release marks the kind of authoritative collection of original Trek series music that fans have desired for decades. “For 45 years, those like me who love this music could only dream about having it all,” remarks album producer Lukas Kendall. “This is themajor, historical piece of sci-fi music, television music and pop culture music that we have always wanted to release in a definitive form for the collector.”

“A majority of the music featured in this set has never been released,” adds Executive Album Producer and La-La Land Records President MV Gerhard. “Of that unreleased music, there is a fairly large percentage that no one has ever heard because it was written and recorded for the show, but never featured in the episodes.” Regarding some of these previously unreleased tracks, Album Music Editor Neil S. Bulk comments, “No original music from season three, apart from the main title, has ever been released. It’s really distinct and definitely Star Trek… It’s what people have always wanted.”

“The original show was very theatrical,” says Trek historian and liner notes writer Jeff Bond. “So the music reflected that. It was huge and very expressive and thematic. And that makes it very exciting to listen to apart from the show.”

The original Trek series scores team with action, adventure and drama, but they are also infused with deep emotion and the greatness of the human spirit. Such characteristics have kept these richly orchestrated tracks vital and relevant decades beyond their original recording. “Trek was always about the human condition,” remarks Co-Executive Album Producer and La-La Land Records VP, Matt Verboys. “And the scores have that in it and I think that’s what has made both the show and its music timeless.”

For more about STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION, visit www.lalalandrecords.com now and join the STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK MAILING LIST to receive important forthcoming information and announcements regarding the release, such as the official release date, the number of units pressed, pricing and much more!

® & © 2012 CBS Studios Inc. STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Source: http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?TuAn--Et6a-gkivq2'>http://secure.campai...An--Et6a-gkivq2

http://lalalandrecords.com/StarTrekMailingList.html'>http://lalalandrecor...ailingList.html

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151179476523755&set=a.181243738754.155532.56031953754&type=1'>https://www.facebook...31953754&type=1

No price yet but I will own it.

Everyone interested should get to LLL's homepage and register your email address songhey can plan for how many to produce.

I cannot wait for this.

So is this the release what La La Land has been boasting as the "biggest announcement to of their ten years of business"? Or is that still to come?

So is this the release what La La Land has been boasting as the "biggest announcement to of their ten years of business"? Or is that still to come?

Are you serious?

I'm pretty happy for you Trek fans out there and am impressed by the ambitious scale of this project. But I must confess there is very little here for me. As big a fan as I am of the music for the Trek films, I was never really interested in the Trek universe and I never really paid attention to the show or its music. So I'm personally not interested in this release and I'll likely pass and save the money for some other great releases I need to catch up on.

Having said that, I am happy for the guys who have been ardently looking forward to this.

It's pretty amazing work I must say. I won't be able to purchase it at $200. And I probably wouldn't listen to it all either. That's a lottttt of music, that's got the gambit of good and great music. But I just have so many other likes too.

I will definitely get this. It will likely be pricey, but given the time, cost and energy that had to have gone into making this, it seems perfectly reasonable.

I mean, can you imagine if you'd have told me five years ago that I'd be able to buy every note of music for Star Trek: TOS, I would have said you were crazy. I am even more of a TNG fan, but the music for TOS is great.

I cannot wait for this. :)

Well it is good to be a Star Trek and a film music fan in these times, but I'll pass as I have no interest in the original series in any shape or form.

Also cashing out 200 $ for something like this would be too risky an investment in my personal economic climate.

I love the original series (in fact that's the only aspect of Star Trek that I consider myself a true fan of), but the music doesn't interest me. I have the Amok Time/Doomsday Machine soundtrack and I rarely listen to it, aside from the semi-famous bit.

Man...I just knew there had to be a good reason why I'd been putting off buying any TOS music for so long! I can't say for SURE that I'll buy this - depending on exactly how insane the price is, I might wimp out. But I kind of doubt it. The idea of having every single cue from the entire series in as-great-as-possible sound quality is extremely tempting. I did sign up for the mailing list, in any case, and I can't wait for this to be released!

I signed up at La-La Land and told them that I will buy it.

Did you get a response in your email? I don't want to spam them with too many email accounts, but the next page said something to the effect of "we'll send you an email to click and activate so we make sure we're not spammed," and I didn't get that response.

Sometimes, I wish I was a Star Trek fan. Labels keeps on feeding them with shit like that. My loss, I guess...

+1

Although I'm ready to buy Insurrection.

And at least our resident trekkies can't complain about unreleased music now. You guys are being drowned in music.

Sometimes, I wish I was a Star Trek fan. Labels keeps on feeding them with shit like that. My loss, I guess...

+1

And at least our resident trekkies can't complain about unreleased music now. You guys are being drowned in music.

Yes. ST has gotten enormous amount of love from the labels in the recent years. Which is nice but begins to border on too much. I have never been a friend of the TV scores from any of the series but the film scores in the movie series are nearly all brilliant.

The box set itself looks beautiful but I don't think I will be getting this. There's only a few episodes from The Original Series that I want in complete form. Other than that with the timing of this release I can't shell out an extra $200 for it.

+1

Yes. ST has gotten enormous amount of love from the labels in the recent years. Which is nice but begins to border on too much. I have never be a friend of the TV scores from any of the series but the film scores in the series are nearly all brilliant.

Dear Mr. Too Much,

You do realize that your avatar is from the series that started the "Complete" craze, right?

Love,

Mr. Wants More

+1

Yes. ST has gotten enormous amount of love from the labels in the recent years. Which is nice but begins to border on too much. I have never be a friend of the TV scores from any of the series but the film scores in the series are nearly all brilliant.

Dear Mr. Too Much,

You do realize that your avatar is from the series that started the "Complete" craze, right?

Love,

Mr. Wants More

Tehee very acutely. :)

Although there had been complete deluxe score boxes before LotR.

Honestly though, I think it's fair. There are only so many beloved franchises. And I think seniority should determine complete release order. Trekkies have been waiting since the Jesus walked in sandals.

Sadly, Bond fans have been waiting since dinosaurs were having existential crises.

Many of these people have died without getting their wish. Would you deny the remaining ones their happiness Incanus and BloodBoal?

Nah. It's great for the Trekkies and fans of the music from the franchise and I am actually happy for them. It's not like someone is losing anything here, except a whole wad of money when they get this box. ;)

I just wanted to highlight the video again, because its really well put together. I have zero interest in this music (I've never seen the show before), but even I was starting to contemplate it after seeing the video!

[media=]

One question though - why isn't Neil looking at the camera?

~

Also, here are some quotes from Jeff Bond about the set over in the FSM thread about the set

Source: http://filmscoremont...mID=1&archive=0

The price will be around $200. Maybe slightly above but I don't think anywhere near $300.

And yes, this is every note of music heard in the series--plus music recorded for the show and never used, so not only is nothing missing, but there's stuff no fan has ever heard before--rather a lot actually.

And yes, Jeff Bond is happy.

All the library cues will be included--believe me, some of my favorite cues are library cues (especially from season two) and it was paramount (no pun intended) that they all be included in this set. Mark my words--if you heard the music in the series, it is on this set, every variation, every library cue, every source cue I can think of. That, plus stuff you've never heard before--and it all sounds pretty stupendous.
There is some material in stereo--I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed by the sound of this set though. For instance, if you recall the sound of the GNP release of The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before, it's pretty shrill and in fact I found myself rarely going back to listen to that stuff and having sort of a dim view of the music over the years because of that. Now that stuff almost sounds audiophile quality to me, and it's really made me completely reappraise Alexander Courage's music. The Enterprise Incident is another score I never really liked, and now I love it. Also Mullendore's Conscience of the King, which I always found too far outside the style of the rest of the series music, stands out as a real achievement and an absolutely fascinating score. And those are the scores I was NOT all that into previously...to not only get new appreciation for those, but to hear the scores I've always loved for years--Who Mourns For Adonais?, Friday's Child, Metamorphosis, Return to Tomorrow—finally in great sound has been revelatory.
Don't sweat it--they will make enough for everyone who wants this set to get it.

The label X rerecordings are just that--rerecordings and thus not part of the recorded music for TOS. The only rerecording included on the set is the new recording of the TOS main title done for the Trek Remastered series. If you enjoy the Label X interpretations (as well as the Fred Steiner rerecordings done for Varese), hold onto them as they are often quite different (listening to the original Spectre of the Gun, for example, you really notice how close it is to The Wild Bunch--the tempi are vastly different on the rerecording and the score is really played much more slowly than it is in the episode).

And a quote from Neil

Interested in the new fidelity of "The Cage". "Monster Fight" from the GNP release is a sonic mess.

We smoke it! It sounds better and it's complete! We finally have the vocal cue from that scene.

Also, Monster Fight was re-recorded every season as library music, so you'll hear that cue quite a bit.

Neil

And a quote from MV

Just to let you guys know we are getting your requests and the server is sending them out as quickly as they can. The response has been overwhelming. We are very excited about this massive endeavor. If you do not receive an email confirmation just email us at:

info@lalaland-ent.com

and I will persoanlly confirm your request.

The cost will be $200.00 to $225.00...the final price to be determined in the coming months.

We are aiming for a late November release date

This will be a limited edition, but we do not know yet how many we will be pressing up. You guys will determine that in the coming months, but judging from the initial response I am guessing at least 3000 to 5000 units.

Now back to the convention!

MV

I signed up at La-La Land and told them that I will buy it.

Did you get a response in your email? I don't want to spam them with too many email accounts, but the next page said something to the effect of "we'll send you an email to click and activate so we make sure we're not spammed," and I didn't get that response.

No, it didn't come when I did it yesterday. I tried again this morning and their email came right away.

Must be a treat for any ST fan. I know maybe 2-3 minutes of this music, so not sure if I could justify spending this much But I'm sure this set os pretty awesome by any standards.

I don't predict it won't sell too well among regular film score fans. I see more pure Trekkies buying this but maybe they won't

Yeah, it may be another Ron Jones box situation in the end.

Karol

It's certainly an undertaking unlike anything I've seen before.

Never before (to my recollection) has a label promised that every note of music is on the set. I also like that they acknowledged that 'complete' has to really be that, and that people would notice any accidental alternate takes. I agree though that it's going to take dedicated fans to buy this. It's a hell of a lot of music.

Damn, it makes me wish this were a show/movie I really idolised.

I'd buy a box set of every cue from LOST. Though that would take up way more than 15 CDs and would therefore probably cost a lot more

I don't think the music from The Next Generation really appealed to fans that much. All though the price factor for the Ron Jones TNG set was one of the major problems for it. I read posts from quite a few people saying they wanted to get it but couldn't afford it.

There's been a lot more demand from music from The Original Series and Deep Space Nine. Hopefully LLL's Deep Space Nine set will fare much better in terms of sales compared to their TNG set.

I 'discovered' Star Trek TOS in the mid 80s, right around the time I began to buy compact discs. My very first CD was ST:TMP, and I quickly added the Varese rerecordings, the Label X rerecordings, and the GNP original recording of The Cage/ Where No Man Has Gone Before.

So my love of film music on CD is closely tied to my love of TOS.

I think this will be a great set, lovingly presented, with lots of diverse, colorful music to enjoy.