Star Trek: The Original Series 15 CD Box Set coming from La-La Land Records Dec 4th 2012

Jay

I ordered the Trek box with Haunted Honeymoon and The Golden Child from LLL, and Die Hard 3, Conan Intrada, and Star Trek Generations from MovieMusic.

Jay will no doubt ask me why I didn't bundle Die Hard 3 with the Trek box, but that's because LLL's front page indicates that DH3 will ship December 7 instead of now like the Trek box.

We've discussed several times here on JWFan that the LLL website is WRONG, and Die Hard 3 has been shipping since yesterday along with the Trek Box. Only HA2 and Untouchables are delayed till Friday.

You're not thinking fourth-dimensionally. You reiterated that in the DH3 thread only after I had already placed my orders at MovieMusic and LLL, when it would become more trouble than it's worth to change the orders. And not in a universally useful place like the La-La Land just thread. I don't check the FSM forum unless they release a new album.

Oy! Jeff Bond and I visit a modeling forum called Starship Modeler and there's one poster on there that just makes me wanna bitch slap him around despite what Jeff and I have said. I'll do some quotes from the posts, the user is name from this guy is iSteve.

My reply to someone who asked the box set if it was the actual TV episodes I mean ones you watch.

It's the music for the entire series. It includes never before heard material written and rejected for episodes.

Then iSteve quotes me saying this...

And it requires a box to hold the material?

My reply

Go to the link I provided and read the information about it.

His reply

I did. I'm still preplexed as to why you need 15 cds to listen to the same 6 scores over and over.

My reply

Saturn is right... this is for THE ORIGINAL TV series, not the films.

If it was for a single film score release I would have stated such in the thread title...

P.S. Saturn is another poster that replied.

Jeff posted right after me saying this...

There's 17.3 HOURS of music on the set--plus some sound effects for the series (which were created musically). Remember Star Trek had 80 episodes including the pilot--original music was written for about 30 episodes, plus about 90/120 minutes of library music (some original, some variations of earlier material). So if it doesn't interest you, fine, but for those who ARE interested, this is a dream come true--equivalent to getting the TOS Enterprise in 1/350 scale. Actually, since I already have a MR Enterprise, getting the TOS music was a lot more exciting for me... :)

iSteve's reply

Alright, don't everyone get their panties in a bunch.

I didn't say I wasn't interested; I didn't say this wasn't a worthwhile purchase. I just find it odd that there are 15 discs for this when, regardless of the fact there are 3 seasons worth of episodes, most of the soundtrack is repeated. Jeesh. :rolleyes:

Jeff's reply

There are 80 episodes of Star Trek (counting the pilots), 30 episodes had original (i.e., not repeated) music written for them, and there's about 90 minutes of library music (some of it variations of previous material, some of it original) out of 17.3 hours of music. So yes, "most" of the music is repeated IN THE SERIES (meaning 50 out of the 80 episodes were tracked with music from the 30 episodes that had original music), but that still leaves 16 hours or so of original, not-repetitive music. It's fine to have an opinion on the set, but you're basically saying something that is incredibly misleading if not outright incorrect about it. There's a huge amount of variety in that 16 hours of music. So if you don't want the set, fine, but don't tell other people it's not worth it based on inaccurate information.

Then iSteve had the gull to reply asking this..

And I said that when?

I mean seriously WTF is up with some people? I don't understand why this guy is having a hard time grasping the fact that this set has unused material but not the same repeated music from one episode into others. I mean the fact that Jeff posted twice epxlaining to the guy about the set yet the guy just doesn't get it at all. Then even had the gull to ask how his post had misleading and inaccurate information regarding the set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Cool story I just read from Lukas Kendall about the master tapes of TOS music:

The tapes were "disappeared" from Paramount in the early 1970s (exactly how, why and when, I don't know, but it was a different era and a lot of Star Trek stuff was "walked off" by fans). A (2nd) collector—a very good guy who believes in archival preservation—saw a classified ad offering them and purchased them from the first guy. GNP Crescendo acquired them from the (2nd) collector circa 1990 so they could be used for CDs. After the La La Land box set they were returned to CBS and EVERYBODY IS HAPPY as far as I can tell.

Lukas

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=93208&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=5&r=794#bottom

Cool story I just read from Lukas Kendall about the master tapes of TOS music:

The tapes were "disappeared" from Paramount in the early 1970s (exactly how, why and when, I don't know, but it was a different era and a lot of Star Trek stuff was "walked off" by fans). A (2nd) collector—a very good guy who believes in archival preservation—saw a classified ad offering them and purchased them from the first guy. GNP Crescendo acquired them from the (2nd) collector circa 1990 so they could be used for CDs. After the La La Land box set they were returned to CBS and EVERYBODY IS HAPPY as far as I can tell.

Lukas

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=93208&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=5&r=794#bottom

Cool story. Did you know that a composer you might have heard of named John Williams was considered to score the episodes ala Lost in Space?

• 2 months later...

For the next 13 1/2 days, you can purchase the Star Trek Original Series boxset direct from LLL for $179.98 instead of the usual $224.98, a savings of $45!

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/STTOS.html

Offer expires on April 21st 2014 at 11:59PM PST!

Anyone who doesn't have it: go get it. :)

It is one of the best soundtrack releases I have ever seen.

Agreed. It's perhaps my favorite soundtrack purchase ever.

• 5 years later...

Just ordered duplicate copies of the 15 CD Star Trek TOS Box Set, and the Land of the Giants 4 CD Box Set. I love these recordings, and will hold on to them until they go out of print, and then hope to make a few extra bucks for doing so. I speculate on the soundtracks I believe in.

Smart thinking. I believe we have less than 100 units on both now

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=139722&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=458#bottom

On 4/8/2014 at 9:25 PM, Jay said:

For the next 13 1/2 days, you can purchase the Star Trek Original Series boxset direct from LLL for $179.98 instead of the usual $224.98, a savings of $45!

By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings!

MV, will that be it for all 6000 units of Star Trek TOS?

4500 units (roughly). no more after this

• 8 months later...