Star Trek: The Original Series 15 CD Box Set coming from La-La Land Records Dec 4th 2012

Jay

Yeah, no actual date has been set. Late fall is what the press release said. The OP is assuming it will be Black Friday or before Black Friday.I thought maybe I missed something and they actually set the date as being November 23rd,2012.No date has been set,at least if it has it is not on Lalaland's website or press release. No price has been set either.

It's probably not going to be Black Friday, since MV basically admitted that Hook is coming then.

Is this a curious attempt at humor? Curious indeed.

I don't think the music from The Next Generation really appealed to fans that much. All though the price factor for the Ron Jones TNG set was one of the major problems for it. I read posts from quite a few people saying they wanted to get it but couldn't afford it.

TNG music works better in a best of format with suites from episodes rather then every note composed.

The Ron Jones was just too much music, and for a hefty price.

I don't think this will flop. TOS has always been the more financially successful bet in the Star Trek universe, in almost every arena. Game sales, movie grosses, music, etc.

Jason, you have really never seen the show before or just not very familar with its music?

Space Seed is the only episode of TOS I've seen. I've seen most episodes of TNG, probably like seasons 3-7 with some random other ones. I've seen roughly the first 3 seasons of DS9 and maybe the first season of Voyager. I saw every episode of Enterprise.

For the movies I've seen 1-6, 8-9, 11.

For the scores I own 1-3, 5

Jason, there are some really good scores, and episodes, don't let the over the top tracking in Space Seed deter you.

Good Scores:

Shore Leave

The Corbomite Manuever

Amok Time

Friday's Child (GREAT theme, better than Paradise Syndrome IMHO)

The Cage (Kind of boring at first, but like KOTCS (its better than that of course) it grows on you.)

Where No Man Has Gone Before (the end fight cue is amazing)

Balance of Terror (really short, but has some pretty cool cues)

Who Mourns for Adonais (has a theme similar to a LOTR motif, and an amazing finale cue)

Mirror Mirror

Metamorphosis

Trouble With Tribbles(ish)

I haven't watched any of TOS but I want to buy this set just to support lalaland ...they are knocking it out of the park with so many quality releases.

Nope, they're just gonna kill their business by making 5,000 copies of a $200 box set.

I don't think they'll publish that many. They'll weigh interest over the coming months and see how many prospective commitments they get, and then press one or two thousand more for the general public.

I can't think of any series for which I'd buy a box on that scale (X-Files doesn't compare, at only 4 discs).

Yes but there is a difference of scale. Volume 1 of the X-Files set is a glorified sampler that only contains highlights from many episodes across 9 seasons.

This TOS box claims to be every note of score from only three seasons, yet will require 15 discs. A comprehensive X-Files box set would comprise many more discs than just four, but I don't claim to know how much music from later seasons was recycled/tracked from earlier material, so I can't say if it would need a dozen CDs or be significantly larger than the TOS box.

The only other shows for which I would want a comprehensive music anthology would be Ron Jones' DuckTales and possibly Joel Goldsmith's three Stargate series.

Nope, they're just gonna kill their business by making 5,000 copies of a $200 box set.

I don't think so.

1. Lalaland is gauging demand - not just making a bunch like FSM with the TNG box.

2. I think there is much more demand for TOS than TNG - and I love TNG.

I can't think of any series for which I'd buy a box on that scale (X-Files doesn't compare, at only 4 discs).

Yes but there is a difference of scale. Volume 1 of the X-Files set is a glorified sampler that only contains highlights from many episodes across 9 seasons.

This TOS box claims to be every note of score from only three seasons, yet will require 15 discs. A comprehensive X-Files box set would comprise many more discs than just four, but I don't claim to know how much music from later seasons was recycled/tracked from earlier material, so I can't say if it would need a dozen CDs or be significantly larger than the TOS box.

The only other shows for which I would want a comprehensive music anthology would be Ron Jones' DuckTales and possibly Joel Goldsmith's three Stargate series.

Yes, that's exactly why I said X-Files (which I did buy) doesn't compare. My point is that I don't think there's anything on the 'every note composed' scale I'd buy.

I just realized - you think this'll push back Generations and Insurrection? I know it's not the same label, but most of the same people are involved, and putting those out at the same time would be a little crowded (interestingly, similar story to Insurrection and the 20th Anniversary TMP).

Coz if so... damn.

Generations and Insurrection are ready to go, I suspect.

Patience. :)

Meanwhile, THIS set is something that I'm finding myself wanting. A lot.

Between this and Star Trek: TMP, LLLR has established itself as the label of the year for me.

After this and the rest of the Trek movie scores, there are no true holy grails left. I will have all of my favorite scores in complete form.

I don't think they'll publish that many. They'll weigh interest over the coming months and see how many prospective commitments they get, and then press one or two thousand more for the general public.

MV already said it's going to be between 3,000 and 5,000 at this point.

I don't think so.

1. Lalaland is gauging demand - not just making a bunch like FSM with the TNG box.

2. I think there is much more demand for TOS than TNG - and I love TNG.

I was being sarcastic. I'm sure this will be a big seller.

Aw, this looks really cool. I always figured that music for an old TV show would have ended up in the trash, or at least horribly degraded in sound quality. The thought that it was all perfectly preserved and that there is a large amount of never-before-heard music makes this very enticing.

The thought that it was all perfectly preserved and that there is a large amount of never-before-heard music makes this very enticing.

Agreed, at least Paramount likes to keep the original master DATs music for Star Trek both films and TV in perfect condition. Unlike the idiot George Lucas...

Star Trek: The Original Series 15 CD Box Set

"My name is Melange, and I approve of this release" as the original series has some etherial otherworldy music.

However, I probably won't end up buying it.

I find myself looking at these increasingly interesting releases these days and thinking - "Mmm, well yes that's very nice. very nice indeed", but not feeling absolutely compelled to buy them as may have been the case in the past. If I'm honest, there are many many soundtrack CDs in my modest (in comparison to some here) collection that are rarely played, and it has been a long time now since I've added any new ones to that collection. I'm even considering being brutal and wittling that collection down and selling off the ones that are nice to own but are hardly ever listened to, so adding a mega box set like this won't help matters, and in reality how often would I be playing 15 T.O.S CDs?

Btw, isn't that Mr Neil.S.Bulk in that video?

The one and only!

~*~

I stock up on sets like this that interest me because while I might not listen to it in the here and now, I plan to live for quite a while yet. Someday I will have and make the time to listen to this set, and I will have it, without having to hunt on the internet and pay 2x or 3x its current selling price for a rare one.

Though I may have seen less than half of the original series of Star Trek, so me and Netflix have some catching up to do. The guy on the right in that video with the dark goatee -- I don't remember his name -- alluded to the idea that many young men who mock fight their friends are going to start humming the fight music from when Spock and Kirk come to blows, and that's not true. I don't identify with that music, I wouldn't recognize it if you played it, and that bothers me -- I would probably be humming Rocky or Europe's Final Countdown or something. I haven't grown up with this series like I should have, only TNG and newer. You might ask why I would then waste my music on something like this, but I look at it as correcting an error of circumstance.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes they posted it on Facebook too

STAR TREK TOS BOX SET UPDATE

Being it the 46th anniversary of TOS, we felt it appropriate to announce an update on our upcoming original series soundtrack box set.

It will be a limited edition run of 6000 units.

The retail price will be $224.98

We are still aiming for a late November release.

More info to come in the near future!

Source: https://www.facebook...151236080863755

Also I never saw this picture before that Neil posted on August 10th:

564439_10151014803277260_270922709_n.jpg

He captioned it

Here are all of the CD-R masters we've had on Star Trek so far. I have them organized by revision, so the first pile is the first version of all 15 discs. The second pile is the next set and then the third and fourth versions (by then it was only selected discs). We should be done now.

Source:

55ad9f502df1e61dd52bcd31e869d9a1

Also he re-posted it today, including this LLL statement:

LA-LA LAND RECORDS

STAR TREK UPDATE

It's the 46th anniversary of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES! And that makes this the perfect occasion to update all of you with some new information regarding our upcoming release of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION.

First off, thank you everybody for joining our mailing list and for helping us determine what the amount of the limited edition run will be.

We are now able to officially announce that this 15-CD box set will be released as a limited edition of 6000 units.

The retail price will be $224.98

We are still aiming for a late November 2012 release date and are currently on track to achieve that. You will be receiving further updates soon regarding the release date, content specifics and more!

Have a great weekend!

La-La Land Records

© 2012 La-La Land Records. All rights reserved.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/nsbulk/posts/282046691909185

You underestimate Trekkies. When people signed up for the e-mail list, they took a poll of how many people planned on purchasing the set, which is where they got their 6,000. I assume the actuall number was around 4-5 thousand, and they added more to be safe

They may have gotten enough people "confirming" that they would buy it when they signed up for the mailing list (though I hardly feel that was a binding contract). They would have combined that number with the amount they already planned to sell to major resellers and have available at conventions to arrive at that amount.

This set may be exclusive since it's an overwhelming volume of Star Trek TV show music, but it's had 46 years to become embedded in the minds of so many people who cherish it. I believe this set will sell better than the TNG set.

And I'll have to start re-watching the show on Netflix to "do my homework," so to speak.

Ah, I forgot about the poll. But I wonder how many of the guys who confirmed their purchase will actually end up buying it.

I don't know. I ended up signing up for the mailing list with two email addresses, because the first never sent me the link to confirm that I wanted to buy it, but now both emails have me on the mailing list. I hope that I did not register as a double hit because I am not buying two of these beasts.

• 1 month later...

Is there any news of the price of the TOS set? Or how many copies would be made? I really need to know how much I need to save for this.

You really need to Like LLL's Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10151236080863755