John Williams: "Steven Spielberg and I will be doing another film shortly."

indy4

From the interview on the main page:

I just completed the work on the film Lincoln, which is being directed by Steven Spielberg, and Daniel Day-Lewis portrays Lincoln in the film. The script is based on Doris Kearns Goodwin’s book, Team of Rivals, and the screenplay is written by Tony Kushner. It will be opening at the end of this year. Steven Spielberg and I will be doing another film shortly.

What could the new film be? Maybe the Moses biopic, seeing as Robopocalypse has been pushed back to 2014?

It will clearly be Robopocalypse. I think shooting will start at the end of the year or early next year, considering Steven Spielberg said in an interview something about camera tests in September. The effect work will take a year at least and nobody says that they can't be finished with the film well before the release date.

I expect the JW score to be recorded probably in spring 2013 or a bit later if the shooting starts in 2013.

Only the grim reaper can stop JW

I'm not worried that he will retire, he seems unable to stop composing music

That said Robocopalypse sounds like it could be really cool. I'm glad it;s not another historical drama, biography or a comedy of some sort

My big wish for JW and Spielberg would be that they somehow manage to do Interstellar and/or the Moses(Biopick). They would present the best opportunities for another masterpiece score.

Nevertheless i am absolutely looking forward to Robopocalypse. The deciding factor will be the apporach they take.

Will the scoring be darker and a bit more restrained like in the style of Minority Report or rather epic like a Starwars prequel score. Another question mark is if they decide to have themes for every story section (which would be better) or approach it in a rather monothematic way.

Williams always does great source music. He has many electronic/futuristic opportunities for that here too.

My big wish for JW and Spielberg would be that they somehow manage to do Interstellar and/or the Moses(Biopick). They would present the best opportunities for another masterpiece score.

Nevertheless i am absolutely looking forward to Robopocalypse. The deciciding factor will be the apporach they take.

Will the scoring be darker and a bit more restrained like in the style of Minority Report or rather epic like a Starwars prequel score. Another question mark is if they decide to have themes for every story section (which would be better) or approach it in a rather monothematic way.

Williams always does great source music. He has many electronic/futuristic opportunities for that here too.

I have a strong hunch Williams will stay away from the things he calls "post modern sound sources" if he is going to have any futuristic material to score.

Then his son will compose those like in AI or even another composer like Haslinger in Minority Report with the "Ad Mall" and "Cyber Parlour".

Most likely. :)

Even though Haslinger is Austrian like me i cannot say something nice about him and i regret calling him a composer. He certainly doesn't earn the term composer ;). I got a headache from his noise during the "Three Musketeers", a film i regret having seen in cinema. Wasted money, wasted time and insulted ears...

It's definately Robopocalypse (God, what an awful name), since that's sheduled for a July 2013 release date.

It was pushed back to 2014 (I think in April?)

• 9 months later...

Wow. I'm surprised you of all people hadn't heard yet.

Now that Abrams has moved on to Star Wars, Spielberg is set to produce and direct a new Star Trek/Avengers crossover (to be released in late 2014).

- Uni