Lincoln SCORE Discussion thread

Jay

The part I heard had a similar motif to Amistad. Kind of sounded like 3:27 of Adams Takes the Case.

Coincidentally, I just commented the other day that perhaps the only redeeming quality of my awful city is that the first scene with Anthony Hopkins in Amistad was shot at the state house here, and of course Williams composed music for it. See: the first half of this track.

I looked at the official cover to the score album on amazon and noticed one thing that jumped out at me.

It says Music by John Williams, as opposed to music composed and conducted by john williams.

anyone know if this is just a mis print or if williams isn't conducting this one?

I looked at the official cover to the score album on amazon and noticed one thing that jumped out at me.

It says Music by John Williams, as opposed to music composed and conducted by john williams.

anyone know if this is just a mis print or if williams isn't conducting this one?

He only hummed the notes and his collaborators put it on paper. ;)

Sony Classical confirms what we've known all along: Newman's music is original, and Williams's is not.

ROTFLMAO

Honestly, it's probably listed that way because he makes liberal use of the James Bond Theme

The Cinematic Sound preview shouldn't be too much longer, right? Now that Erik's already posted his Skyfall preview? I don't know how long he usually waits in between shows.

I'm shooting for next week... probably mid week. It will be included in my 2012 round-up show since I really haven't played any of the new scores that have come out this year.

BTW, I'm going to share with you some of my initial notes I typed out while listening to the score. I just got through my first listen and I'm just simply blown away by this score.

- The first track melted me. It's so simple but really nothing is ever simple for Williams. There is just so much love and care for the music, the orchestration, the emotion.

- Some might find this score to be Williams noodling around a la the Coplandesque moments in Saving Private Ryan but this music has direction, it's melodic, dramatic - at times playful - and very delicate.. The recording of each solo instrument is also lovely.

- It's what I expected and so far I'm really getting into the score... savoring each and every detail, theme, and motif. A perfect score to keep me company while I work. And now I'm experiencing "'With Malice Toward None.' No one, and I mean no one in film music writes for strings the way Williams does

- I want to personally thank John Williams (like he reads this) for "The Peterson House and Finale." An 11 minute tone poem (I hope I'm using those words correctly) that is simply one of the most stunning cues of Williams' career.

- It's not difficult music but the performances have to be precise for it to work. I think it's lovely music and I assume Shawn Murphy recorded the score (I don't have the credits in front of me) which is perfectly captured. When those strings warm up it's delightful!

So, on album the score is magnificent!

-Erik-

Thanks for the info! Which track contains the War Horsey music from the second half of the first trailer?

I'm pretty sure it's "The Peterson House and Finale." It's in "The People's House" as well.

-Erik-

Thank you Erik for your initial impressions of the score. I was hoping that the 11 minute cue would be something special. Also, thank you for your continued dedication to the world of flim music and the work of Williams.

Thank you Erik for your initial impressions of the score. I was hoping that the 11 minute cue would be something special. Also, thank you for your continued dedication to the world of flim music and the work of Williams.

Thanks for your kind note , Tom.

Cheers!

-Erik-

Erik thanks for everything you do! Can't wait to listen to the Bond show and the next show!

If you get a chance to post a picture of the back cover of LIncoln, that would be awesome!

- I want to personally thank John Williams (like he reads this) for "The Peterson House and Finale." An 11 minute tone poem (I hope I'm using those words correctly) that is simply one of the most stunning cues of Williams' career.

So it's the "High School Teacher" of Lincoln?

Per se, i have nothing against a well-rounded Williams americana score - i had it coming with Spielberg again playing nation's history teacher - i only hope it has more engaging thematic material than just tone-poemic SPR material, however well orchestrated.

Per se, i have nothing against a well-rounded Williams americana score - i had it coming with Spielberg again playing nation's history teacher - i only hope it has more engaging thematic material than just tone-poemic SPR material, however well orchestrated.

Except his last "well-rounded" Americana score was what, The River? (Not sure if we're counting the Oliver Stone scores...)

At this stage of the hobby, i only think in iTunes selections, not cd albums.

À propos: James Southall on FSM writes "There are occasional hints of that. It's mostly bathed in reverential, Coplandesque Americana. To be honest I found a lot of it really rather dull but there is one absolute stunner of a track near the end (eleven minutes long) which makes it all worthwhile."

The case is settled for me, then.

I usually see eye to eye with Erik's ratings and judgements about film scores in general, so hearing him praising Lincoln with such prose gives me really good vibes :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Erik!

At this stage of the hobby, i only think in iTunes selections, not cd albums.

À propos: James Southall on FSM writes "There are occasional hints of that. It's mostly bathed in reverential, Coplandesque Americana. To be honest I found a lot of it really rather dull but there is one absolute stunner of a track near the end (eleven minutes long) which makes it all worthwhile."

The case is settled for me, then.

Southall's also a big proponent of Williams's modern action stylings, so that settles nothing for me. :P

He's generally too generous in his ratings, but if movie-wave says there's dull americana with some killer tracks i knowexactly what kind of JW Sony Classical album he is talking about.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Erik. It sounds like quite a lovely score from your description. :)