Lincoln SCORE Discussion thread

Jay

It doesn't, it's a concert arrangement.

The theme from that track only appears in one scene (for sure, possibly a second), and then the end credits.

So the music thats unreleased is music that IS NOT in the film? and then it may only be solo's and other extra little ditties?

(going by Williams's 95 minutes of music comment)

No there is unreleased music in the film, its just nothing special. Only slightly different from stuff we have on the OST

No there is unreleased music in the film, its just nothing special. Only slightly different from stuff we have on the OST

Ah, that's what the first few people that saw RotS first said too .

That might also speak of the rather equal nature of the recurring themes that Clemmensen doesn't raise many of them to the fore in his review.

You could probably make a 2 disc set of the two, mixing all tracks, and you wouldn't lose any flow.

:lol: seems, that Sony has exactly THAT version planned for release!!

http://www.thelincol...com/?soundtrack

Scroll down.....

there's a 22track Version of the Lincoln soundtrack....... :P

First thoughts:

People's House is fucking awesome.

Purpose of the Amendment--beginning sounds like war theme from War Horse. Intro the main theme is pretty cool. 2:03 war theme from WH again.

Getting out the Vote--awesome. Reminds me of Reivers. It's a great exmaple of JW taking a well established style and tweaking it with his own voice.

American Process--Brass chorale is fucking awesome. So glad he did this in Chicago

Blue and Grey--love the tension. Very Hermmannesque.

With Malice Towards None--beautiful

Call to Muster and Battle Cry of Freedom--I'm so glad this was included, I love it. I wonder if JW arranged?

The Southern Delegation and the Dream--again the WH war theme variation. If there's a boring track it's prboaby this one, but I'm sure it'll grow on me with time

Father and Son--part of it sounds like the opening to "Omaha Beach" from SPR.

Race to the House--this is cool. I wonder if the entire thing is arranged by Jim Taylor, or just excerpts?

Equality Under the Law--there's a cool folk songy theme that Williams uses a lot in this track (introduced earlier). Awesome climax near the end.

Freedom's Call--reminds me of love theme from the Patriot a little. I love how you can hear the musicians taking breaths. Also love the variation of hte main theme in this track. Sounds very fired up.

Elegy--gorgeous

Appomatox--the choir is beautiful. overall the track seems a little distractible, I'd prefer if JW stuck to one or two ideas instead of jumping so quickly from idea to idea. but it's still nice. Wonderfully disturbing ending.

Peterson House and Finale--is all of this original? Some of it sounds like identical variations from earlier in the score. It may be a "Homecoming" from WAr Horse situation, where he borrowed a lot from the score but also expanded a bit here and there. In any case, I like it!

With Malice towards None (Piano)--love the intro. whole thing is beautiful. I always thought Malice Towards None was the trailer music we heard on piano.

Overall, it sounds like a very good score. It will certainly grow on me so it's hard to rank it, but based on my first listen I'd place it above Tintin but below War Horse. It may be below both, hard to say right now. Thank you JW!

Ah, that's what the first few people that saw RotS first said too .

And they were right.

War Horse connects with me on a pure and sheer emotional level.

Lincoln feels more reflective.

War Horse is like you've got a new girl and you're in love, and the wonderful emotions hit you all at once, while Lincoln feels like 3 years later when you're married. The emotions are still all there, but there is a calmness and understanding about them. That's how I would put it.

Nailed it.

I'm glad at least someone noticed the ingenius comparison.

You could probably make a 2 disc set of the two, mixing all tracks, and you wouldn't lose any flow.

laugh.png seems, that Sony has exactly THAT version planned for release!!

http://www.thelincol...com/?soundtrack

Scroll down.....

there's a 22track Version of the Lincoln soundtrack....... tongue.png

What the fuck?

Did they think Licoln needed some bold themes, so they just stuck some War Horse at the end?

War Horse connects with me on a pure and sheer emotional level.

Lincoln feels more reflective.

War Horse is like you've got a new girl and you're in love, and the wonderful emotions hit you all at once, while Lincoln feels like 3 years later when you're married. The emotions are still all there, but there is a calmness and understanding about them. That's how I would put it.

Damn well said. In the week that the score has been out I think I've listened to Lincoln in it's entirety twice as much as I've listened to Warhorse. Warhorse never really caught my ear and the movie I have yet to see because I have no real interest in it. The only reason I listened to Warhorse is because it is a Williams score.

However, standing alone the movie Lincoln looks absolutely brilliant and I have always adored President Lincoln so I was very excited to hear about this movie. Overall as a score it definitely does not compare to the anything written during Williams' golden age but there are quite a few tracks, The People's House, Call to Muster, and With Malice Towards None, that just give me absolute chills. I have yet to see the movie but there is no doubt in my mind that the trio of Spielberg, Williams and Lewis will really pay beautiful homage to one of our greatest Presidents.

EDIT: Just curious did anyone purchase this soundtrack in person (rather than online)? Normally when a new score comes out I am always able to pick it up at a Barnes and Noble or Walmart but I could not find this anywhere. I'm just assuming that its a testament to our time and that buying items in store is becoming obsolete.

EDIT: Just curious did anyone purchase this soundtrack in person (rather than online)? Normally when a new score comes out I am always able to pick it up at a Barnes and Noble or Walmart but I could not find this anywhere. I'm just assuming that its a testament to our time and that buying items in store is becoming obsolete.

I bought it in a store here in Finland, probably the only copy of the album in the entire country. :P

Gotta say, I love the piano at the end of The Peterson House and Finale. It's easily the best, most surprising, and refreshing minute of music John's written since...I'd say Prisoner of Azkaban.

The accuracy and delicacy of the performers really does make a difference here with Lincoln. Especially the soloists... so beautiful. Maybe Williams should use the CSO on more scores than just this one? They are considered one of the best orchestras in the world... and it'd be a shame if Williams used them once.

When I look and hear Williams speak at age 80, nearly 81 now, and think of my own grandparents only 2 years older than him I really am amazed at how good he looks and how sharp and articulate he is.

Wow that must have been an awesome concert! Damn how I would have loved to hear The People's House live! :)

Finally got the soundtrack (thank you Amazon). I love the artwork. So much better than War Horse.

I do have a question however: how come there is no mention whatsoever that the 'Battle Cry For Freedom' is a traditional, period song...? People unfamiliair with it will undoubtly assume it was written by Williams.

Anyone knows..?

Yes I think it a bit odd that The Race to the House was marked so clearly as not composed by John Williams but the Battle Cry of Freedom was not. Could also have to do with the fact that it was re-recorded for the soundtrack but I agree that they should have noted the composers of the song for clarity's sake.

Ah that's incredible that they played it last night. I really hope if I see Williams again in concert he will play something from Lincoln.

I saw the movie last night and I was in absolute awe (please bare in mind I am a history buff).

Daniel-Day Lewis was absolutely phenomenal in his portrayal of Lincoln. He showed the mental strength and brilliance of such a great man, but at the same time his gentle and kind heartedness with a peculiar sense of humor. There was not a dry eye by the end of it, especially not mine.

Although I was disappointed by the lack of music in the movie I definitely believe it was necessary. I love the way Williams very rarely scored a moment when Lincoln was talking. I believe this shows Williams true love for what he does and respect he has for the movies and the subject matter he scores. Any composer could have looked at this movie as a great Oscar opportunity and over done the score and made it absolutely beautiful but Williams did not. He knew this movie was about one of our greatest presidents who changed the course of history so he knew the soul focus of Lincoln's speeches needed to be on him.

Overall I knew this movie was going to be a magnus opus of Spielberg but I really do believe this may be Lewis' finest work to date. The great patriotism and respect of duty showed in this movie is something American politics lacks today.

Yes I think it a bit odd that The Race to the House was marked so clearly as not composed by John Williams but the Battle Cry of Freedom was not. Could also have to do with the fact that it was re-recorded for the soundtrack but I agree that they should have noted the composers of the song for clarity's sake.

Blume has already proven that Williams is so old that he could have written Battle Cry of Freedom.

I bet it was actually Angela Morley, who wrote it. Would make sense for Williams not to credit her.

i hate when they dont credit it.

i don like to aribute tings to JW adn then discover he didnt write them.

I think the israel anthem in munich was not properly credited either.

It could be this way purely for some legal/copyright snafu concerning the piece. It happens frequently especially in case of music labeled such as "traditional" or "unknown composer".

In this case the author of the song is well-known though, which makes it odd for them to not have it in the credits at all. Also we do not know if the Call to Muster is a traditional military tattoo piece or composed by Williams.

Here's an article about the Chicago Symphony and Lincoln:

http://www.suntimes....or-lincoln.html

“I told my wife that when my whole career is said and done, whether it’s in one year or 10 years or 30 years, I’ll look back and this will truly be one of the top three or four highlights of my whole life,” said principal trumpeter Christopher Martin, a fan of Williams’ music since childhood.

“I told my wife that when my whole career is said and done, whether it’s in one year or 10 years or 30 years, I’ll look back and this will truly be one of the top three or four highlights of my whole life,” said principal trumpeter Christopher Martin, a fan of Williams’ music since childhood.

What an amazing trumpet player he is. And a fan.