20 minutes of additional Empire Strikes Back music?

karelm

Has anyone here heard the twenty additional minutes of music JW composed and recorded for the ESB that haven't yet been released? It sounds like it is really good and I'm very curious to know if its floating around on the forum because its my favorite score from my favorite composer and every new second that is released is worth salivating over!

As you all know, I'm not a Star Wars expert, but all the original films have been released in complete form. If somehow they have not been, you could easily hear this music in the film, no? And my final piece of evidence, KM would be going on and on about this if it were true.

I read an article that said there was an additional twenty minutes composed and recorded - the scenes included more of the final conflict scene between luke and vader and more of the yoda training scenes plus some additional asteriod music. None of it is in the film.

It is in the January 1997 issue of Film Score Monthly by Lucas Kendell. It says:

"Empire has the most music which was written and recorded but subsquently left out...The one thing I've really been burning with curiosity about is when we went to do this Star Wars box set, we found 20 minutes of music or so from The Empire Strikes Back which was not used in the picture...Tellingly, most of the unused music in The Empire Strikes Back concerns Luke: when he is lost in the snow on Hoth, when he is training on Dagobah, and when he is fighting Darth Vader in the Cloud City freezing chamber (when Luke is winning, they dropped this music. When Vader starts winning, the music comes in featuring vader's theme). Williams did write music for these scenes, and very good music."

Enough talk - who knows someone who knows someone and can get this music???

I think he might be referring to the music that was cut from the film, which would be: "The Training of a Jedi Knight" and other tracks in RCA Discs.

All of that music is on the SE discs Karelm.

Yeah, there's plenty of music that was omitted from the film, including those passages, but it's all there on the RCA (or Sony) release. Sorry to disappoint, but pretty much everything that was recorded for ESB is on that release! (What's fun is to sync it up with the film and see how it was supposed to line up. A lot of it is excellent music, but the filmmakers were right to omit it from the film.)

Darn...even the extra battle music when Vader and Luke are fighting? I don't recall hearing anything on the soundtrack that isn't in the film but he is saying there is stuff that is not in the film.

10:52 of Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/Departure of Boba Fett

But that can't be right - 10:52 from Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/Departure of Boba Fett is just the straight track from the 1980 LP called The Departure of Boba Fett. That doesn't fit what Kendell was saying because it wasn't unreleased but was on the original LP. Anyone with the original LP will see this was always on the soundtrack even though not in the film.

Darn...even the extra battle music when Vader and Luke are fighting? I don't recall hearing anything on the soundtrack that isn't in the film but he is saying there is stuff that is not in the film.

It's a funny trick the mind can play. It took me a long while to realize just how much unused music there is on that release. There's more unused music in ESB than in any other Star Wars score, I think, and it's pretty much all on that soundtrack.

10:52 of Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/Departure of Boba Fett

But that can't be right - 10:52 from Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/Departure of Boba Fett is just the straight track from the 1980 LP called The Departure of Boba Fett. That doesn't fit what Kendell was saying because it wasn't unreleased but was on the original LP. Anyone with the original LP will see this was always on the soundtrack even though not in the film.

Kendall doesn't actually say anything about unreleased music in that quote. Just unused music.

It's a funny trick the mind can play. It took me a long while to realize just how much unused music there is on that release. There's more unused music in ESB than in any other Star Wars score, I think, and it's pretty much all on that soundtrack.

It was the same for me. And I was kind of blown away when I finally synced some of the unused music back to the picture. A lot of it is awesome! My favorite spot in the score is the dissonant brass choral in the duel that wasn't used. And when I layered itwith the picture, it added so much emotion and darkness to the duel I got goosebumps. I want that music added back in!!!! I also think the cut Hoth music works well in the film too. Shouldn't have cut it!!!!

Yes, it is. All the unused (and used) music is on the 2 c.d. 1997 Special Editions and subsequent releases.

Yes, it is. All the unused (and used) music is on the 2 c.d. 1997 Special Editions and subsequent releases.

I concur! Kendall and Matessino might have mentioned such insignificant news as 20 minutes of unreleased music still stocked away somewhere. Kendall's comment in FSM clearly says "unused music", not unreleased.

Also Aboard the Executor (Track 4), is mostly unused.

Replaced with the concert version of the march in the film. Works great, of course, but Aboard the Executor has what probably is the best of all Imperial March renditions, so I can't help feeling sorry they didn't use it.

In general, ESB has lots of tracking and micro edits, some of them rather jarring when you know the complete score. ROTJ is even worse, as far as I remember.

great music was left out, but some of it doesnt fit... or years of viewing the film has marked our POW.

The last clip with he Yoda theme... wasnt it when luke discovers leia being carried away in bespin?

It fits better there... even if the theme is still misplaced...

so the music at 1h 39 miuntes in the film... (PAL) what cue is it?

When she says "Its a Trap"?

Thats in the same track on the 97 SE discs...

ok got it. i never noticed williams quoted yoda's theme improperly TWICE.

Thrice, if you count the music for Leia and crew running through the halls to catch Boba....

The Empire Strikes Back still remains my favorite Star Wars score of all time. The unused music is pretty good to listen to on its own, but I have to agree with Datameister that the decision to drop a lot of music in the film was the right choice. I also agree with ETandElliott that the "Imperial Probe Droid" has the best rendition of the Imperial March. It sucks they replaced that with the concert music.

Karlem, everyone is right that the unused music is on the RCA / Sony discs. If you don't have them I suggest buying them. All though the RCA discs, with the laser engraved etching on the CDs are superior because of the liner notes. Sometimes, they can be a bit harder to track down, either way they're worth owning.

True...but I have always preferred the laser etched discs and the cases they came with. Luckily a few years ago I was able to track down all three in an actual box on ebay for $20 shipped and they were brand new never opened.