Williams vs. LotR

Quintus

Williams vs. LotR  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• The last ten years of John Williams film scores
    • Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings scores

Hahaha, there WAS a poll a moment ago, but it appears to have vanished into thin air. Useless mobile functionality strikes again! It even had two votes...

One moment...

FIXED

God i'm bored

Yeah, I much prefer the breathtaking action of last week. The board has been like a score lovers night club lately! Who needs gimmicky polls when you have the bouncing, thriving atmosphere of JWFan's message board!

Who?

In all seriousness, this is a legitimate question. Not everyone here has been overly enthusiastic of Williams' modern output, in the same way there's a few here who were far from blown away by Shore's LotR. It'd be interesting to see the outcome.

Are we talking about the 4 scores Williams did in 2002 through now, or everything AFTER those four 2002 scores?

hey quint, i'm sorry.

i thought the poll was about the OT and the LOTR trilogy (somehow i thought 13 was the years williams did the OT and 3 the years shore did LOTR)

so i dont think people compared the two things you mention.

Definately I prefer williams output.

Good point. "The last ten years of John Williams film scores" goes back to, when, August 24, 2002? FOTR debuted in 2001, did it not?

I think the range needs to be "the last however many years of Williams' film scores that includes the time that the LOTR scores were known to the world."

Those four are rightfully included.

So then we're talking about a span longer than 10 years

Good point. "The last ten years of John Williams film scores" goes back to, when, August 24, 2002?

Right, which is after AOTC and Minority Report

I think the range needs to be "the last however many years of Williams' film scores that includes the time that the LOTR scores were known to the world."

Why? The time span over which LotR released is irrelevant here. You're missing the point.

The ten was merely a healthy round figure; I didn't care to actually look to see what John's output was during that time. The past decade for me at least has just felt like his wilderness years, give or take a couple of highlights.

Good point. "The last ten years of John Williams film scores" goes back to, when, August 24, 2002?

Right, which is after AOTC and Minority Report

Oh god... leave it to Wojo...

But fine, if Professor Calculus wants to omit those two scores for Very Important reasons, be my guest.

Seriously, Chamber of Secrets, PoA, Episode III, Tin Tin, Was Horse, WotW, Memoirs of a Geisha against those 3 generic Howard Shore scores? It's not fair. I voted Shore.

I like Shore's score to King Kong, oh wait, that's James Newton Howard. I like Shore's cameo in King Kong as the conductor.

I like Shore's score to King Kong, oh wait, that's James Newton Howard. I like Shore's cameo in King Kong as the conductor.

I agree. The Fly is another fine score, as is Silence of the Lambs. And I really enjoyed his Shutter Island music.

I started to listen to that in the car driving last night, but I've found that driving is not the best time to break in a new score that I haven't listened to much. If I can't sing or pound the dashboard to it, it's a bad idea.

WTF?! I must have dreamt I saw his name on the credits ages ago when I saw the movie and since then I've believed completely that Shore wrote the score.

This is just friggin' weird.

It's not really possible to compare one trilogy to 13 unrelated scores. One of the greatest elements of the LotR trilogy is how Shore develops the themes over the 3 films, but you can't really compare that to a self-contained film score, ie The Terminal. So if we're just going off visceral impact, then I would vote for JW (although LotR is great from a visceral level too).

LOTR is obviously the creative highlight of Shore's career.

A much more reasonable comparison would be to put it against let's say Jaws, Superman and The Empire Strikes Back.

No composer can continue to write on the level of his greatest accomplishments.

Not Williams, not Shore.

At least put the best they have to offer against each other, because of course Shore's work is better than Williams' output these past years.

But Shore's scores are better than virtually ALL scores released after it. It's one of those rare moments where a film score truly transcends the medium.

LOTR is a masterpiece, a superior work.

However, I don't think it should be used to remind us of the fact that Williams' creative peak is behind us.

We tried the serious and respectful conversations, they all dried up. It was this or nothing.

I think that's the first time we've ever had serious and respectful in the same sentence here. Bloodboal's excellent thread searching abilities may be able to test that.

Williams 2000 is overrated.

Considering the last ten years of Williams presented such snorefests like Episode II, KotCS and the Terminal, it is LOTR easily. Not even his best outputs, namely War Horse and Geisha, don't reach it.

Also, Shore has, in the meantime, written one or two scores that have the same entertainment factor as some of Williams' scores in the 2000s.

Also, Shore has, in the meantime, written one or two scores that have the same entertainment factor as some of Williams' scores in the 2000s.

In your words: none since it must be overrated crap :P

BTW the LOTR scores have muuuuuch filler music, so not everyfucking note is the 'ride of the rohirrim' or 'add your favourite LOTR cue here' and therefore has its share of snoozefest or dullnes, like williams.

There is no filler music in FOTR. TTT has some, ROTK has lots. IMHO.

The films are the same. FOTR moves along awesomely, TTT has some parts that drag, ROTK is a mess at times.

Haha I wouldn't go that far, but I will say the stretch of Arwen/Elrond/Galadriel music in TTT is not really enjoyed much by me.

There is no filler music in FOTR. TTT has some, ROTK has lots. IMHO.

The films are the same. FOTR moves along awesomely, TTT has some parts that drag, ROTK is a mess at times.

Agreed wholeheartedly.