Williams vs. LotR

Quintus

Williams vs. LotR  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• The last ten years of John Williams film scores
    • Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings scores

In this case, I'm talking about Williams' action music past 1990.

I wouldn't exactly call Escape, Chase, Goodbye action music.

The first half is nothing but. Of the finest prime fillet variety.

You may find it blasphemy, but I usually long for this portion to end to get to the good stuff.

I agree, infact, I (almost) Iong for the end to end! (I am talking about the part inbetween the flying theme, and the fanfare's in the ending)

I never thought of LOTR action music as anything special.

Karol

It isn't, outside of LotR. As part of these rich cinematic fables though it just works wonderfully well. Or what Steef said.

Yet the scores are masterpieces?

Everything could be a masterpiece if you don't compare it to anything else. Odd to see you not making sense.

There's stuff to like in that period, but personally, LotR definitely means more to me.

Although RotK certainly has a lot of filler, in the sense that I don't think music was needed for some scenes, and the amount Shore was composing per day by the end of the process shows a bit.

I really don't think so.Return of the King is littered with highlights of the trilogy. Given how brilliant a score Howard Shore has written despite the enormous pressure of writing up to five minutes a day, the question to ask is how freaking genius the score would have been, had he not had that pressure.Anyway, this is for the musicians here. I have been thinking how much you can agree with Howard Shore's statement that orchestration is not really about color, but rather range.

Well, he certainly did a lot of work during the entire year of 2003, but at the end, the weeks before deadline, with the constant editing changes, he did up to five minutes of writing and orchestrating a day.

The film was only finished the day before the reels had to be sent out. Imagine the tons of rewrites and new scenes he had to write. Having have to go through that stress and still produce one of the greatest scores of all time (and my personal favourite of the trilogy) is darn impressive.

There's stuff to like in that period, but personally, LotR definitely means more to me.

Although RotK certainly has a lot of filler, in the sense that I don't think music was needed for some scenes, and the amount Shore was composing per day by the end of the process shows a bit.

I really don't think so.Return of the King is littered with highlights of the trilogy. Given how brilliant a score Howard Shore has written despite the enormous pressure of writing up to five minutes a day, the question to ask is how freaking genius the score would have been, had he not had that pressure.Anyway, this is for the musicians here. I have been thinking how much you can agree with Howard Shore's statement that orchestration is not really about color, but rather range.

Oh it absolutely has some trilogy highlights, yes.

I'm saying that it's inevitable that a work on that scale will have some less interesting moments, and most of those for me are in the third score.

I never thought of LOTR action music as anything special.

Karol

It isn't, outside of LotR. As part of these rich cinematic fables though it just works wonderfully well. Or what Steef said.

Yet the scores are masterpieces?

Everything could be a masterpiece if you don't compare it to anything else. Odd to see you not making sense.

Surely you have an an appreciation for a flawed masterpiece somewhere yourself?

I've always thought orchestration is more about colors...

Oh, admit it: if Shore had said that orchestration is more about colors, you would have said you think it is more about range!

Nope.

I'm actually not sure what "range" means here. So I looked dictionary, it gave 27 meanings in finish...

If it does mean the range of the instruments, how they are written isn't that also about colors? Range=Dynamics?

Sorry, this may sound I'm stupid but hey, that's what I am.

To be honest, I like the first one the most but I have to admire his craftsmanship after hearing this.

In the end of the day I might like the guy.

But his conducting looks awful. :znaika::wave:

Yup. He jumps from beat to beat without connection. It must make tempo very difficult to feel.