BloodBoal

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's an interesting list.

BTW, you do know that LotR was originally written as a 2-parter, and Jackson & Co rewrote it for a trilogy when the suits suggested it? (from one of the DVD documentaries, if this turns out to be incorrect)

Agreements:

Public Enemies - right on. I found this one just dull.

Pirates 3 - I like it more than some, but the plot is horrendously complex for this genre and I just left the cinema thoroughly butt-numbed and confused.

Troy - dull, boring and dull.

Quantum of Solace - yep, confusing and outside of the action sequences, just plain boring.

Terminator Salvation - it's not a Terminator movie - just a rather lame action film with robots.

Indy 4 - I left the cinema feeling very underwhelmed.It just doesn't feel like an Indy film at all.

Disagreements:

Lovely Bones - it had flaws, but I really enjoyed it, and was tremendously affected by it.

Ghostbusters 2 - wait, this one is unpopular? I've always liked this just as much as the first.

Godzilla - i've always thought this one got far, far too much flack. For what it is (mindless popcorn entertainment), you could do much worse for a few hours.

Prometheus - discussed to death already. I loved it; many didn't.

Superman Returns - I've since seen the original and I still like this one. I geuinely never understoof why this got such bad reviews.

The Hangover Part 2 - I can live with the re-treading. I enjoyed it.

Spidey 3 - it's got loads of story problems, and drew many unintended laughs in the cinema, but overall, I enjoyed it.

Agreed (from those I've seen) on :

Speed Racer

The Avengers (1998)

Alexander

Alice In Wonderland

Southland Tales

Alien 3

Planet Of The Apes (2001)

Quantum Of Solace

The Matrix Revolutions

Sucker Punch

X-Men The Last Stand

Disagree most strongely on:

Eyes Wide Shut

Hulk

Then there were the movies that couldn't disappoint me because I did not expect them to be any good in the first place

The ones I've seen that I found disappointing:

The Spirit: at first I was excited for it. I shoudl have seen this disater coming, with Frank Miller behind it. What a lack of respect. Ah, if they had let Brad Bird direct this project. When I found out what the result was like I absatined from seeing it until a friwnd happened to be seeing the film. It was even worse than expected.

Troy: take the Iliad. Shoot the film in English. Make it boring. Skip completely over the interesting polytheist spirituality of this culture.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

and, looking back, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

For most of the others in the list, I never expected anything from them and/or haven't seen them and/or never cared or realized it wasn't going all right soon enough. I need to revisit Alexander to put it down properly.

Another disappointments of mine: Apocalypto. Avatar. And one that I saw coming: Green Lantern.

The Legue of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I found that one actually surprisingly fresh and entertaining.

Disappointing IMO are The Lost World, KotCS, all the SW prequels, Deathly Hallows 1, Terminator Salvation, The Dark Knight (Rises)

The SW prequels aren't disappointing to me because they were always like that for me. There was I point wre I thought "ok, these suck", but it wasn't shocking for me. I mean I had seen The Phantom Menace at the theater at 7 so I didn't have expectations.

In retrospective yes, The Lost World is incredibly disappointing. As are most Harry Potter films, basically all of them except the third one (the books themselves also became disappointing.).

I didn't mind LXG when I first saw it much. Back in March I read the book and it was on another level, so I find the film quite annoying. (I was annoyed by some aspects of Watchmen so go figure...) I've seen isolated parts of V for Vendetta and that was enough to make avoid that one completely, as well as From Hell or any other Alan Moore adaptation.

Oh, I just remembered another disppointing film: Sunshine. Or most science-fiction coming out of the movies.

Many of the films in this list weren't that promising since the beginning, hence it's more like the confirmation of an already bad feeling.

Also, these are mostly blockbuster films from the last 10-15 years (the oldest entry is Ghostbusters 2, which is from 1989), but this speaks more about the overall film culture of these days than anything else.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade would have been on my list.

Ooh, someone else with good sense, eh?

After "ST: III", I found "The Voyage Home" a HUGE dissapointment. "V" was much better.

"Alien 3" is my favourite "alien" film. Not the best, but my favourite...

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade would have been on my list.

Ooh, someone else with good sense, eh?

After "ST: III", I found "The Voyage Home" a HUGE dissapointment. "V" was much better.

"Alien 3" is my favourite "alien" film. Not the best, but my favourite...

V was terrible, almost unwatchable for me. Alien 3 is the reason I hate fincher.

Indy 3 was a disappointment because it didn't go its own direction. So #4 was never as diappointing to me because the bar had been lowered.

Still I can watch 3 on blu and get enjoyment. I can even watch 4 with my finger on the ff button.

I'm not sure which I found more disappointing this summer Avengers or Prometheus.

Indy 3 was a disappointment because it didn't go its own direction.

:blink:

you're not that clueless.

It seems to me that the additions of The Last Crusade to the Indy lore are obvious. Many Indy rip-offs and parodies later refer to elements codified by The Last Crusade.

Last Crusade mimics Raiders rather than finding it's own direction, surely you can see that.

Surely you aren't stuck on the superficial there?

there is nothing superficial about a film that is a retread of the original, it's a tried and true pattern that doesn't necessarily give you the best outcome.

Disagree most strongely on:

Eyes Wide Shut

Hulk

I chose you because I typically like reading your posts, even if I don't always agree.

I can see where these films could be disappointing. Eyes Wide Shut being a Kubrick film with his entire legacy preceding it to judge it against and Hulk turning out to be more of a serious intellectual flick, deviating from the source material and few scenes of the kind of popcorn entertainment one associates with comic book movies.

That said, I enjoyed both of those.

Most disappointing of all time? It has to be Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. This was supposed to be Indy! There was seemingly no way they could screw it up that bad.

This won't surprise many of you, but I think TOD should be on that list. To go from Raiders to...THAT...oy, it boggles the mind.

KOTCS fit in nicely with the pre-existing franchise, which at the time comprised one near-perfect adventure film and its two severely flawed sequels. By the time I saw KOTCS, my hope for Raiders ever getting a worthy sequel was long dead.

That's I've seen , I agree with everything on the list except

Pirates of the Carribean 4: I rather found it funny

Star Wars TPM. I enjoyed much it at the time of it's release.

I got bored with Pirates 4 about 15 minutes in. Seemed utterly pointless to me.

And what's with the sudden 'Indy sucks' stance of this place? I love all of the first three movies (ToD the least, but it's still good).

While we're at it, it was somewhat underwhelmed at my first viewing of Superman earlier in the year. I enjoyed it, but it was hardly film of the year.

I disagree with

Hulk

Spidey 3

Iron Man 2

Green Lantern (though it's flawed out the ass)

IJ4

Quantum of Solace

Ghostbusters 2

and TPM.

I enjoyed and do still currently enjoy all of these.

I mostly agree with that list. There aren't many films on that list that I can actually say I very much enjoy and would be happy to watch over and over again. Again, ranked lists such as this are meant to inspire conversation about them, and not force people to clean out their video collections.

Indy 4 and Prometheus don't belong on this list. The Dark Knight Rises, however, does.

Oh, Indy 4 belongs to be on there. So does Prometheus.

Indy 4 and Prometheus don't belong on this list. The Dark Knight Rises, however, does.

For a second I forgot what thread I was in and thought you were talking about the screen names :lol:

Nah, I don't think everyone was disappointed with those, just the louder minority. I realize I am in the minority on TDKR, but... I tried so hard to like it...

I think I'd put TDKR on the list too. Lower on the list of course but it deserves to be there, especially considering the enormous expectations that was lying on the film.

People who label Dark Knight Rises as a dissapointment are just plain insane.

IMO.

Quantum Of Solace doesn't belong anywhere near that list. And neither does Godfather 3, what the hell?

Disappointing is subjective, because someone could have been looking forward to a movie more than you were. I wouldn't say Public Enemies was a huge disappointment, it's just not that great.

Prometheus and Hulk definitely not, I enjoyed both of those.

Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull and Quantum Of Solace would be ones, in my book.

On Eyes Wide Shut - "Sadly, the film was anything but erotic,"

Um, that was the point. Cretinous thickos.

I used to buy the TF magazine before the internet and it was a decent read, but nowadays their mag is dying and so in a beleaguered attempt to boost traffic to their website they do these abysmal lists every week. Most of them are bottom of the barrel ad hitting junk.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=total+film+50&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

You can use Google's own page numbers to see how many there are, and how risible they get.