Jay

I'm ok with variety (Hamlisch and Conti's scores are great), but the series should have a somewhat consistent sound, and for now that sound is David Arnold.

This was Thomas Newman. I'd like to see his cousin Randy score the next Bond movie. Maybe we can get a song of lost friendship and suppressed man-love to play over a montage of James and Q examining their new toys.

I'm ok with variety (Hamlisch and Conti's scores are great), but the series should have a somewhat consistent sound, and for now that sound is David Arnold.

Arnold has scored enough Bond movies. Time for someone knew to take a stab at it.

Arnold has scored enough Bond movies. Time for someone knew to take a stab at it.

I disagree. He just established his own voice for Bond with his last two scores and really set up the new sound for Bond after just adding a bunch of electronics and renditions of the Bond theme in the Brosnan era and calling it a day.

As for Skyfall, I'm still waiting for the CD to listen to it on its own, but after seeing it last night after plunging through that nor'easter, I was happy. It was hard to tell the music a lot of the time because of how loud the sound system was, but I never really disliked what I heard. One of my favorite bits though when Bond gets the upperhand on Silva after their first encounter, is apparently not of the CD from what I've been told which is disheartening. Also, I wish he would have done a better job of setting the music to the gunbarrel at the end. Of course, if it was in its proper place at the beginning it probably wouldn't have been a problem.

If that means more like Skyfall, I can safely say that this will have been the last Bond score I bought on CD.

I disagree. He just established his own voice for Bond with his last two scores and really set up the new sound for Bond after just adding a bunch of electronics and renditions of the Bond theme in the Brosnan era and calling it a day.

Scratch that. Reverse it.

Anyone else having a hard time finding the pressed CD in stores? I've only been able to find the Adele single.

That's all you need. That orchestral bullshit used in the rest of the movie is just boring filler,

Haven't listened to the score on its own yet, but having seen the movie twice, my impression is that the score is good; unspectacular, but good. Never at any point does it hurt the movie, and there are times -- such as the arrivals in Shanghai and Macau -- when it helps it quite a bit. There were lots of other scenes, though, where I found myself thinking that any one of a dozen other composers I could think of would have been able to do a much more interesting job.

If Newman were to come back, I wouldn't despair, but all in all, I think I'd rather Arnold come back. Or maybe let someone like Giacchino or Murray Gold take a stab at it.

Really, though, if the movie is as good as this one, I can live with a mediocre score.

Haven't listened to the score on its own yet, but having seen the movie twice, my impression is that the score is good; unspectacular, but good. Never at any point does it hurt the movie, and there are times -- such as the arrivals in Shanghai and Macau -- when it helps it quite a bit. There were lots of other scenes, though, where I found myself thinking that any one of a dozen other composers I could think of would have been able to do a much more interesting job.

If Newman were to come back, I wouldn't despair, but all in all, I think I'd rather Arnold come back. Or maybe let someone like Giacchino or Murray Gold take a stab at it.

Really, though, if the movie is as good as this one, I can live with a mediocre score.

I agree with the first statement (it absolutely does its job) but after listening to several Arnold and Giacchino action scores, i'm quite sure i don't anticipate their future involvements. It's like hoping one buttered toast will be a delicious meal because another one tasted square.

Giacchino could do great Bond, as he did with the two M:I

but i want arnold to continue if he wants, let other people when he quits.

So composers should keep composing for a franchise as long as they want to?

Change is a good thing, especially after 5 films.

I speaking in the sense of film scores. How many franchises that contain 5 consecutive films scores by the same composer are all great scores?

I can't imagine how mundane Potter 8 would have been if Williams stuck around for the whole thing.

I speaking in the sense of film scores. How many franchises that contain 5 consecutive films scores by the same composer are all great scores?

From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Diamonds Are Forever.

All six by John Barry, all six great, and even with ascending quality if I may add.

At least he stopped short of naming MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN.

The Man With The Golden Gun was written by John Barry in two weeks and still radiates more of a classy aura than Newman's lukewarm Bourne/Arnold copy.

I wouldn't call all of those great.

Of course not, you consider GoldenEye one of the series' best.

Anyone tried to figure out the track order for the Skyfall score?

Got this off of CommanderBond. Don't know how accurate it is but at least it can serve as a temporary list.

Sequence OST Track Title

1 1 Grand Bazaar, Istanbul

2 14 The Bloody Shot

4 2 Voluntary Retirement

5 15 Enjoying Death

6 3 New Digs

7 5 Brave New World*

8 30 Adrenaline*

9 10 Day Wasted*

10 6 Shanghai Drive

11 7 Jellyfish

12 8 Silhouette

13 9 Modigliani*

14 17 Close Shave

15 13 Komodo Dragon

16 12 Someone Usually Dies

17 4 Severine

18 16 The Chimera

19 11 Quartermaster

20 18 Health & Safety

21 19 Granborough Road

22 20 Tennyson

23 21 Enquiry

24 22 Breadcrumbs

25 23 Skyfall

26 24 Kill Them First

27 25 Welcome to Scotland

28 26 She's Mine

29 27 The Moors

30 28 Deep Water

31 29 Mother

32 31 Old Dog, New Tricks*

*Old Dog, New Tricks is apparently not in the film. Also, Arnold's "The Name's Bond...James Bond" was re-orchestrated and used at the end but also unreleased.

Yeah, I just figured I'd post it to help those concerned. I don't have the CD so I have no way of knowing how accurate it is. There was a better list that actually had the breakdowns of scenes and what bits were missing (like Bond capturing Silva on the island) but I can't remember where I found it. If I do, I'll be sure to post it for whomever's interested.

Arnold is Brosnan's sound and Newman's is Craig's. Letting sleeping dogs lie.

I think Newman's score for Skyfall works just fine in the movie. It's not Arnold for sure, but there's nothing offensive about the score. It suffers from temp-track syndrome, particularly Zimmer's Dark Knight score and Arnold's previous 007 outings in places, but it works in the film. When Newman's allowed to do his own thing, recalling The Debt and Adjustment Bureau, it's quite beautiful and hypnotic for the more technology-savvy Bond.

The movie is good enough to carry the score by itself. Roger Deakins' work is beyond reproach here, as well as the editing. Never once did I notice a strange or jarring cut... it flowed beautifully from start to finish. Newman's score could've been much better, but it works in the film and I can't complain about that. Whether it's a good listen on CD is a different thing.

It also works well on CD. I'm really enjoying it.

I agree that Arnold's style works for the Craig movies. He actually adjusted his "Bond sound" a bit when Craig took over.

Some moments is Skyfall do have an Arnold ring to it.