The Long Goodbye complete score released by Quartet Records

Omen II

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You don't believe in variety within the confines of a single theme or melodic idea?

On album -- only to a certain extent.

In the film, it's different. The score/theme is used interestingly as a sort of "meta"/Godard-ian play with the diegetic and non-diegetic as the theme appears on the car radio, in supermarkets, even hummed by Elliot Gould's character himself. In addition to proper underscore, of course. But on album, I wouldn't say it has much more to offer than what was on the original Varese release.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the only "unreleased" JW score I actually own... and I simply love it. I don't like the track order on the Quartet release, but I love my playlist.

If you stick on the Varese CD, you miss something.

Now I definitely want to see the movie.

I am sorry for you guys who do not appreciate this cd: I love it and listen to it quite often. I found it really nice and showing a different side of Williams' genius.

• 1 year later...

Quick question about Long Goodbye... is there anything on the Varese release that isn't on the Quartet release?

Sorry if this was mentioned or asked previously...

On 08/01/2017 at 10:16 AM, Bespin said:

It's the only "unreleased" JW score I actually own...

Woaaaaa, that's not true anymore! 

• 1 year later...

Never seen the movie and I don't own the soundtrack yet, is it worth the purchase?  I added it to my cart but when I went to the cart get the following message:

Quartet QR185
Out of Stock 

Please remove this item from your cart to complete your order.

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

Never seen the movie and I don't own the soundtrack yet, is it worth the purchase?  I added it to my cart but when I went to the cart get the following message:

Quartet QR185
Out of Stock 

Please remove this item from your cart to complete your order.

I'm getting the same thing...odd...

This score is an essential of John Williams.

The order of the tracks is a mess on the Quartet CD, but it's another thing!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

This score is an essential of John Williams.

That's taking it way too far. But it's an interesting experiment in terms of how the music is being used.

Official response from Intrada...

Yes, sorry. The Long Goodbye is currently out of stock (and we do not know how long it will be gone) so our system won't allow an order to be placed.

-- Jeff

Intrada 5940 College Ave Ste G Oakland CA 94618 http://www.intrada.com

It's a shame that according to Quartet Records own website the soundtrack is still listed as in stock yet as another member posted above has cited, once he went through the check out process he got the disclaimer.  Therefore , Quartet should put a note on their website advising customers so. 

• 4 weeks later...

Dang, that was fast, good thing is my order went through and my bank account was charged.  Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that it actually will get fulfilled.  

58 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Just got it delivered today, hats off to Intrada once again for providing fantastic packaging to keep the CD safe and sound as well as decent pricing for shipping!

I'm legitimately interested in how many copies they had in-stock when they re-posted it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The tracks on the Varese are the exact same ones present on the Quartet. I don't think there was any additional work done on those when Quartet Records expanded the release.

Unfortunatelly, while there are a lot of goodies not present in the film, there are still missing some bits that were indeed used, and some of the edits and medleys presented in the disc truncate some of the cues.

I have the Bluray with the isolated score (well, really a music & FX track), but i haven't really listened to it to see if there is something there that isn't in the Quartet release.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Now you have something to do while waiting for your defence! :)When was the blu released?

I edited my post. it's really a music & FX track.

Unfortunately i don't have the bluray with me because I don't live at my home this year. I live in another city due to work.

it was released on December of 2013. Wow! Has it been so many years already?!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Long-Goodbye-Blu-ray/80397/

• 1 year later...

Just received this. I like the program a lot, I don't think I'll make any changes - maybe add in the TLJ recording if we can get it clean :lol:

Weird though that the first half, the songs and those better source recordings, feel like the main program, and the rest of the tracks feel like a bonus track medley, a sampler of more variations. Too bad because musically they're not any worse at all, but I guess the sources just are what they are.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I was ordering the new Heidi/Jane Eyre and clicked on the John Williams link to see what else they had and added this to the order. Listened to it on the way home and I’m really glad I got it. Sure, it’s the same song, but the variety is easily good enough to stop me getting bored (and I can be dreadfully impatient listening to repetitive music). Gotta love JW’s ‘light’ jazz style.

Favourite bit so far? This comes close:

Track 18, 1:50

”Christ, I hate this song”

Mark