The Long Goodbye complete score released by Quartet Records

Omen II

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like they have a few extra for emergencies, and they'll sell me one. Thanks anyways, Pixie!

sell...?

I suppose you want to keep the other CD you got?

SEND you mean...you may have to return the

I don't think you should have to "buy" the replacement album, unless you really want to keep the album they sent you by mistake. But this was their mistake; by all rights, they should send you the "correct" item at no cost to you.

Well apparently their records indicate that I actually ordered Les Adieux a la Reine, and since I never got any confirmation of my order I have no proof of what I ordered. So I'll probably end up selling the CD I got or something. I guess I could fight with them but I don't really have the time or the energy. I just want my JW CD!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Got a notification that this one was back in stock at Movie Music. Not sure how many are available, but almost certainly a couple people dumping their copies since the re-release announcement.

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M08553/longgoodbye/

airmanjerm was pointing out that MM's new in stock alert would indicate they have some of the original pressing in, not that they've gotten the re-pressing in early.

I just listened to this today again.

It's really extraordinary that although you hear the same tune over and over and over in all the tracks, you aren't bored!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a really good score, and I'm glad they released more copies. I hate seeing the price gouging on eBay for things like this, so pick it up now. I'm sure it'll be a hundred bucks on eBay again soon.

It's a unique score, whew, with a unique song. I never saw the movie, but for me i put that on the category 'exercice of style'. I pass. ;-)

It's a unique score, whew, with a unique song. I never saw the movie, but for me i put that on the category 'exercice of style'. I pass. ;-)

The song is the score really. Works brilliantly in the film and outside it in my opinion. Naturally if you don't like the melody you might not be too interested in hearing a long series of variations on it from lounge ballad to jazz to Mexican trio.

Just ar reminder that this one went back on sale today:

http://www.quartetrecords.com/the-long-goodbye.html

I have ordered this on the 20th of June: there is a note "PRE-ORDER" right above the price which didn't bother me while placing the order, but I have been charged immediately and the order is still "processing".

Can I assume everything is fine?

• 1 year later...

Made a playlist for The Long Goodbye (using the Quartet release), I think it's more enjoyable like this, at least for me!

I've put all the tracks from the Varese Sarabande release first, removed the main title montage, then put the tracks in chronological order.

Tracklist:

05 The Long Goodbye - Dave Grusin Trio (4:34)

07 The Long Goodbye - Irene Kral and Dave Grusin Trio (3:11)

04 The Long Goodbye - Jack Sheldon (3:32)

02 The Long Goodbye - Clydie King (4:36)

06 The Long Goodbye (Tango) (2:31)

08 The Long Goodbye (Mariachi) (2:05)

12 The Border (:37)

03 The Long Goodbye - Dave Grusin Trio (5:02)

13 Love Theme (1:58)

14 The Long Goodbye (Sitar) (1:03)

11 Night Talk (2:09)

16 The Mexican Funeral (2:32)

01 The Long Goodbye (3:07)

09 Marlowe in Mexico (3:37)

15 Guitar Nostalgia (1:01)

17 Finale (1:08)

Another possible order is this one (but the stereo tracks are more scattered):

S5 - The Long Goodbye - Dave Grusin Trio (4:34)
S4/V14 - The Long Goodbye - Jack Sheldon (3:32)
S12 - The Border (:37)
S3/V12 - The Long Goodbye - Dave Grusin Trio (5:02)
S13 - Love Theme (1:58)
S7/V13 - The Long Goodbye - Irene Kral and Dave Grusin Trio (3:11)
S14 - The Long Goodbye (Sitar) (1:03)
S11 - Night Talk (2:09)
S8/V17 - The Long Goodbye (Mariachi) (2:05)~
S16 - The Mexican Funeral (2:32)
S1 - The Long Goodbye (3:07)
S2/V15 - The Long Goodbye - Clydie King (4:36)
S9/V18 - Marlowe in Mexico (3:37)
S6/V16 - The Long Goodbye (Tango) (2:31)~
S15 - Guitar Nostalgia (1:01)
S17 - Finale (1:08)

Source: http://chrono-score.blogspot.ca/2012/10/the-long-goodbye.html

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

What was wrong with the order as presented by Quartet?

It's rare that I can't listen a CD in the intended order, but for this one, I'm unable. It's shambolic.

First, the piano track by Williams is not a CD starter, then the Main title Montage doesn't have to be in the middle of the CD, it's a BONUS intented for the end of the CD.

Shambolic.

22 minutes ago, petaQ said:

Well what do you expect? He's Canadian. 

Is it supposed to be funny?

This was the last limited edition Williams score I bought where I remember it came in and I wondered, "Why the hell did I buy this?" It's still in the shrink wrap. I think around the same time I also bought Not With My Wife You Don't: Volume II and some TV show that was a one-and-done. That was when I stopped being a completist. This is absurd.

It's definitely absurd. The Varese release coupled with FITZWILLY covered this more than well enough. After all, it's basically the same theme repeated in various arrangements. In the same vein, I never understood that bonus CD on the SPARTACUS set with the hundreds of versions of the love theme.

From an archival standpoint, I think it would be great for albums like this to exist digitally. Want some really obscure variant of The Long Goodbye theme? Great! It's available for a dollar. I don't see how this can possibly work as an album however.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

It's definitely absurd. The Varese release coupled with FITZWILLY covered this more than well enough. After all, it's basically the same theme repeated in various arrangements. In the same vein, I never understood that bonus CD on the SPARTACUS set with the hundreds of versions of the love theme.

You don't believe in variety within the confines of a single theme or melodic idea?