Limited Edition of 1500 UNITS

$15.95

STARTS SHIPPING 9/06/2012

CLICK HERE to hear an Audio Sample from

BLADE RUNNER: Main Title

CLICK HERE to hear an Audio Sample from

BLADE RUNNER: On The Trail of Nexus 6

IS IT REAL OR A REPLICANT?

BUYSOUNDTRAX Records is proud to present the release of BLADE RUNNER: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE – A 30TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, available for pre-order at www.buysoundtrax.com and digitally and via other soundtrack boutique retailers beginning September 19th, 2012. BLADE RUNNER: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE – A 30TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION is a new recording of the classic score composed by Vangelis (CHARIOTS OF FIRE, THE BOUNTY, 1492, ALEXANDER), produced and performed by composer Edgar Rothermich.

Released in 1982, the dystopian BLADE RUNNER was directed by Ridley Scott (THE DUELLISTS, ALIEN) and featured Harrison Ford in his second starring role after RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Celebrating its 30th Anniversary in 2012, BLADE RUNNER has become a cult film favorite the world over. Loosely based on a 1968 Philip K. Dick novel, Ford starred as Rick Deckard, a former police officer reluctantly assigned to terminate four replicants who have come to Earth to find their maker. The cast also included Sean Young, Rutger Hauer, Daryll Hannah, Brion James, Joanna Cassidy, James Hong, William Sanderson, Joe Turkel and M. Emmett Walsh.

Over the years, multiple edits of the film have been created for the home video, DVD and Blu-Ray markets. Similarly Vangelis' score has been released in several different incarnations, but none of them are accurate representations of what was heard in the original 1982 film. "Largely because of a dispute between Vangelis and Scott over the director's use of his music in the film, a proper soundtrack of the music as it is heard in the film has never been commercially issued (despite the promise of a soundtrack album from Polydor Records given in the film's end titles)," described Randall D. Larson in the liner notes of the new BUYSOUNDTRAX recording. |

BUYSOUNDTRAX Records seeks to correct this oversight, with a new recording faithfully recreating the original music from the film, which proved to be a difficult task. Vangelis' score was composed entirely by performing on keyboards and recording it directly, so no written transcriptions exist. Composer Edgar Rothermich was charged with reverse engineering the score – listening to the original music and a 1982 album mock-up and transcribing it by ear. He also had to recreate the sound of 1982 synthesizers and decipher if noise heard was due to recording on tape or stylistic choices by the composer.

"BLADE RUNNER is the most difficult kind of score to deconstruct," said BSX producer Ford A. Thaxton. "Symphonic music can usually be determined because the instrumental palette is known. But the 1970s-era electronic technology and the improvisational style in which Vangelis created the score made it especially difficult. But we feel Edgar's made a very close replication of what the score sounded like in the film. He's true to the sound the original but he's brought it into today's world."

"The objective from the very beginning was to be as close as possible to the original score as heard in the film," Rothermich said. "It was never a case of my interpreting the soundtrack. It was essentially a re-recording of the soundtrack music."

Born in Germany, Edgar Rothermich studied music at the University of Arts in Berlin and graduated in 1989 with a Master's Degree in piano and sound engineering. He worked as a composer and music producer in Berlin and moved to Los Angeles in 1991 where he continued his work on numerous projects in the music and film industry (THE CELESTINE PROPHECY, THE OUTER LIMITS, BABYLON 5, WHAT THE BLEEP DO WE KNOW, FUEL, BIG MONEY RUSTLAS).

For the past 20 years, Edgar has had a successful musical partnership with electronic music pioneer and founding Tangerine Dream member Christopher Franke. Recently, in addition to his collaboration with Christopher, Edgar has been working with other artists as well as on his own projects. December 2010 marked the release of his first two solo albums, 'Why Not Electronica' and 'Why Not Electronica Again' followed by 'Why Not Solo Piano', released in 2011

BLADE RUNNER: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE – A 30TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION has been mastered by James Nelson at Digital Outland and includes exclusive liner notes written by Randall Larson, detailing the process of creating this new recording. BLADE RUNNER: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE – A 30TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION is limited to 1500 units

1.. Ladd Company Logo (0:25)

Composed by John Williams

french horn: Stephanie O'Keefe

2. Main Titles (Film Version) /Prologue (4:00)

3. Los Angeles, November 2019 (1:49)

4. Deckard Meets Rachael (1:32)

5. Bicycle Riders (2:13) (Pompeii 76 A.D.)

Composed by Gail Laughton

6. Memories of Green (5:40)

7. Blade Runner Blues (10:20)

8. Deckard's Dream (1:16)

9. On the Trail of Nexus 6 (5:35) (Tales Of The Future)

Vocal By Fella Oudane

10. One More Kiss Dear (4:01)

Composed by Vangelis and Peter Skellern

Produced and arranged by Dominik Hauser

Vocal by Tom Schmid

11. Love Theme (5:07)

saxophone: Paul Frederick

12. The Prodigal Son Brings Death (3:37)

13. Dangerous Days (1:05)

14. Wounded Animals (11:00)

15. Tears in Rain (2:44)

16. End Titles (7:25)

BONUS TRACK

17. Main Titles (Album Version) (4:02)

Total Time: 72:29

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Deckard is human, end of story.

I don't find the movie interesting or issue compelling enough to even care. I saw the movie once, and even now I think that was one too many times.

<ducks>

Where was he 30 years ago?

... when the fans had to abide with ...

1258571911_blade-runner-new-american-orchestra.jpg

Alex

I have to strongly disagree with your comments about this album.

While it's not the soundtrack recording, Jack Elliott and his New Ameican Orchestra players did a really good job on this orchestral version of the score.

This recording used the best LA session players and the arrangments were done by some of best in the business such as Eddie Karam, Patrick Willaims and Angela Morley.

As a matter of fact, Morley's arrangment of "Memories of Green" performed by the New America Orchestra ended up in Ridley Scott film "Somewhere to Watch Over Me".

On it's own terms this album is quite a good attempt to present the music in a orchestral setting.

It's vastly better then what some folks say it is

IMHO of course.

Ford A. Thaxton

I love the film, as well as the score inside the film... but outside, I never really cared for it, and the only way to listen to it, for me at least, was through Jack Elliott's conducted recording, and I fully agree with Ford on this one.

Personally, I think Vangelis' score is extremely vital to the film. So much so that it almost doesn't work without the images it's composed for. The music constantly seem to add a new layer to the scenes. I see them as inseparable with the two making each other better. A perfect marriage. No Vangelis, no Blade Runner.

I always thought that the piano on Memories Of Green by The New American Orchestra sounds way too 'forte'. I do love:

[media=]

Amazing flugelhorn 'improv' by Chuck Findley. For a long time, The New American Orchestra was the only way to hear the score outside the film. I actually kinda like it but I was talking in the name of the many haters. ;)

Alex

No Blade Runner, no Alexcremers.

That's more true that you can possibly imagine.

I must confess, that guy that an incredible job ... but I don't quite understand the point of it.