E.T. original version in select theaters 10/3

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome.

I expect this brisk October evening to be magical.

Haven't watched E.T. from start to end in long time (although that's not the case with the score)

I expect to get some tears at the end. And from others!

This will be a tremendously nostalgic night.

I'm hoping for a packed crowd, although that might be asking a lot on a Wednesday night.

Beware: this is not entirely a normal presentation. It's an NCM Fathom event, and will be shown off of a DVR running through a digital projector. In other words, the image will quite possibly not be as good as it would be if it were a "real" rerelease. Also, many theatres can only use stero sound for these events; not good old digital surround sound.

Each theatre will be different, of course, but if yours shows their Fathom presentations through ad projectors rather than through the projectors they use for normal movies, the picture quality you get will NOT be worth paying for.

That said, my theatre showed The Birds, and it looked spectacular.

Theaters actually show movies through those ad projectors? I remember all the damn complaints about the screen being blue because the theater was too cheap to change the bulbs on them.

Some guy scared the shit out of me by popping his face in through the port hole window as I was threading. "Hey man you know the screen's blue, right?!" No, I'm a blind projectionist.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have two different theaters in my area I can see this at and am taking my boyfriend to see it. He has.... never seen E.T.

-_-

Haha! Which actually makes me more excited to see it with him!

I noticed it's showing in Little Rock at the theatre we saw the sneak preview back in May of 1982. It comes full circle.

As much as I'd love to see it again there I'm buying the E.T. digibook next week and I'm not allowing myself any viewings or even audio presentations of the film until I own the blu.

Those of you who can see it do, Those of you who haven't ever seen it on the big screen go. You will thoroughly enjoy it. E.T. the Extraterrestrial has been my favorite film(score) for 30 years.

I like Star Wars more than all of those (film and score)

I would have Star Wars at #4. Raiders likely at #5.

Well, me and the boyfriend saw it last night, and the result was... for me at least... mixed. Part of this reaction is in part of my theater, however.

This was definitely a satellite broadcast of course, which I have only experienced a few times (was the Raiders IMAX screening one? I wasn't sure). The worst being Poltergeist, which had been broadcasted with zoomed in picture. I don't know if anyone remembers that one. Anyway, I can't believe how under-promoted this film was for this one-day re-release. If it hadn't been for this forum, I would have never known. And I see a lot of movies in the theater these days, and have been seeing ads for The Birds re-issue multiple times, as well as those live Rifftrax events (MUST see their riff on Birdemic...). But not ONCE had I ever seen an ad for this. When I went up to buy our tickets at the booth, I wasn't even sure it was playing. The marquee for it only said "TCM Presents:" with the rest of it cut off! How could anyone have possibly known for what movie that had been for, unless they asked or had already known in advance like I did?! Stupid theater. No wonder why there was literally an audience of 7 other people in the theater.

Before the film started there was an E.T. specific Q and A. The thing was... most of the questions were based on movie-specific events... which gave away parts of the film. Now you may ask, "Come on, Scallenger, who HASN'T seen E.T.?". But my boyfriend hadn't! And I'm sure, if it had been a properly advertised event, parents may have taken their kids who have ALSO never seen the film. After that, before the film started, there was an almost 10 minute long introduction video basically talking all about the film we were about to watch... complete with behind the scenes stuff and MANY clips from all over the film, even the ending. -_- Again, for anyone in the audience who NEVER had seen the film and chose this as their first time for seeing it... the video literally gave every major moment away. It blew my mind, and my boyfriend of course had to joke and say "Well, I guess we can go now. We just watched the whole thing." The video itself was not a bad idea, but it was something that perhaps should have been saved AFTER the film was over, and they could have just mentioned "stay after the film for behind the scenes footage" or something. But watching this all RIGHT before it... even I was turned off, having seen the film so many times before. I didn't want to be spoiled by how it looked on the big screen in clips right before seeing it.

Anyway... the entire time said video played, my theater had NOT turned off the lights... which continued to stay on thru the first minute or so of the opening credits. No way. So I bolted out of my chair and ran out and told them they left the lights on, and luckily turned them off not long after I came back, pretty much only missing the opening credits. -_- Ah well, not a huge loss. So luckily the rest of the film went off without a hitch. The quality of the broadcast seemed pretty good for what it was, if a bit fuzzy every now and then (mostly in the fog-heavy scenes, which I am sure will look much better on the disc). The sound was pretty good, and it did seem to be the proper surround at least in my theater, most notably the scene in the field near the beginning when Elliot scares E.T. with the flashlight and you hear him running all around. Pretty cool. The music of course came through loud and clear... however... you know that moment that got cut out of the Special Edition version from 2002 of the gun right before the kids fly off on the bikes? Well, for some reason, just for that moment, the sound seemed to have oddly dipped in quality, but then picked up again right after that shot was done. Did they not remaster the sound on that one little section when they chose to only put the theatrical edition on Blu? Was the DVD of the theatrical like this, not that I recall? Very odd!

So, in the end, it was a decent experience to see it on a big screen (which I never had the chance to do before, not even the 2002 version), problems aside. It still wasn't a disaster like that Poltergeist screening was. And for the record, my boyfriend really liked the movie (and the music of course), although, him being into science, he couldn't get over how E.T. could have an extending neck like he does. LOL. ;)

Yeah, it definitely was not the best experience. Honestly that one audio concern I mentioned does have me a bit worried the BluRay will be the same though. I hope not.

Thanks for the note scallenger, very detailed! I really wish there were more advertising for these things, (including the Indy IMAX and marathon). Just a couple trailers during prim time TV would have probably doubled the ticket sales. sigh.