James Horner - Pas de Deux (Double Concerto for Violin and Cello)

TownerFan

Interesting news! Jamie breaking into concert/orchestral music scene. Good for him! :)

I think he should also do a larger orchestral work called Dangerous Motives, where he would explore the 4-note motto in a 30 to 40 minute 1 Movement work. ;)

Interesting news! Jamie breaking into concert/orchestral music scene. Good for him! :)

I think he should also do a larger orchestral work called Dangerous Motives, where he would explore the 4-note motto in a 30 to 40 minute 1 Movement work. ;)

That hack Rachmaninov already did that!

Karol

The problem is that even though he is a better composer then most film composers working today, he is considered at bit of a laughing stock in the film score (fan) community. Mostly because of his tendency to re-use his own music, steal from other composers, and some of the interviews he has given.

No way he will be taken seriously by the classical music community.

The problem is that even though he is a better composer then most film composers working today, he is considered at bit of a laughing stock in the film score (fan) community. Mostly because of his tendency to re-use his own music, steal from other composers, and some of the interviews he has given.

Agreed. Also the fact that he lacks technique doesn't help. His execrable modulations are hardly listenable. No orchestrator can hide those.

Whoa, this is wonderfully unexpected news. I absolutely love Horner's strings writing so this could potentially be a sublime recording. For some reason I'm looking more forward to this than I ever have any of Williams' own concert works.

Agreed. Also the fact that he lacks technique doesn't help. His execrable modulations are hardly listenable. No orchestrator can hide those.

Where do you hear these "execrable" modulations?

Can you give a specific example?

just what comes to mind

1:40

2:55 http://youtu.be/L3E6BGMpAoU

4:22 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bAaMsy2i-k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bAaMsy2i-k

2:40 onward [media=]

Execrable Modulations would be a great name for a band.

Yeah it sounds fine to me. I know i'm not a musician but still....

Ofcourse MSM has never been one to explain or defend his opinions.

Must one defend that 2 + 2 = 4?

Gazillions of legitimate complaints about James Horner's music and MSM comes up with this?

It annoys me yes. I don;t see why you guys are so upset? Anyway I am surprised none of you hear it. Just to make things clear, I do like Horner as to thematics, orchestrations (although they are not his own) and effectiveness as film music, and I do appreciate his use of a classic symphonic orchestra, but his transitions are the worst part of his music, really.

You gave 4 examples, but no one seems to understand your point.

Well I exaggerated of course, and I didn;t make my point well by picking not the best examples. But I am sure people understand what I mean. He doesn;t use normal progressions but just slides two (often unrelated) tonalities over each other, causing the most execrable dissonants. If you guys want to call this ' the classic Horner sound' be my guest.

This is great news! I'd love to hear one of my favourite composers making an entry into the classical scene. Very exciting. And I can't wait till fans rip the piece apart dissecting the piece for Hornerisms!

Yeah it sounds fine to me. I know i'm not a musician but still....

Ofcourse MSM has never been one to explain or defend his opinions.

Must one defend that 2 + 2 = 4?

2 + 2 = 5, you should know that Hlao-roo.

Gazillions of legitimate complaints about James Horner's music and MSM comes up with this?

It annoys me yes. I don;t see why you guys are so upset? Anyway I am surprised none of you hear it. Just to make things clear, I do like Horner as to thematics, orchestrations (although they are not his own) and effectiveness as film music, and I do appreciate his use of a classic symphonic orchestra, but his transitions are the worst part of his music, really.

You gave 4 examples, but no one seems to understand your point.

Well I exaggerated of course, and I didn;t make my point well by picking not the best examples. But I am sure people understand what I mean. He doesn;t use normal progressions but just slides two (often unrelated) tonalities over each other, causing the most execrable dissonants. If you guys want to call this ' the classic Horner sound' be my guest.

I get what MSM is talking about. I've heard it quite a bit recently ( I'm listening through all my horner scores) and its very jarring to me. I think to myself " damn that was a bad transition"

If I can think of better examples I will post them later.

About this concert work....I'm interested in hearing him in the concert hall setting. I'm wondering if his "voice" will be much different. Williams for example seems very different in much of his concert works than he does in the film writing. And Elliot Goldenthal seems to have very much the same voice in film and concert hall ( to my ears, at least)

I think recently we've seen more of a convergence in Williams's film and concert writing.

Hmmm yeah, I suppose so. Its slowly coming together.

• 2 weeks later...

I get what MSM is talking about. I've heard it quite a bit recently ( I'm listening through all my horner scores) and its very jarring to me. I think to myself " damn that was a bad transition"

Maybe these years spent in a balinese garden only listening to gamelan music left their mark?

Maybe these years spent in a balinese garden only listening to gamelan music left their mark?

Why don't you tell us what big issues you have against Horner?

I have abandoned my big issues with James Horner many moons ago. But to cite any of those polished Hollywood guys like Horner for their supposedly 'awkward transitions' seems like extreme straw-grasping. There is nothing jarring in anything posted here, certainly not by western music standards.

I have abandoned my big issues with James Horner many moons ago. But to cite any of those polished Hollywood guys like Horner for their supposedly 'awkward transitions' seems like extreme straw-grasping. There is nothing jarring in anything posted here, certainly not by western music standards.

Neither I have big issues with James Horner except said issue. But I admit that you need a good ear to hear it.

Looks interesting:

http://filmmusicrepo...olin-and-cello/

Let's hope he'll write something original! ;)

He has a master degree so he's well-trained. Composing a serious work, like a violin concerto, will probably tell us how talented he really is. Please let me know when there's a CD or a recording available.

Alex

Looks interesting:

http://filmmusicrepo...olin-and-cello/

Let's hope he'll write something original! ;)

He has a master degree so he's well-trained. Composing a serious work, like a violin concerto, will probably tell us how talented he really is. Please let me know when there's a CD or a recording available.

Actually, he has a PH.D. (a doctorate), which is even more impressive.

• 2 years later...

Ooh, interesting! I really need to get this one. Lovely cover.

This Norwegian article (with an English translation below) mentions the release date as being May the 25th, however (the CD could perhaps be released on the 25th in Europe, and the 27th in the US):

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/no/universalmusicnorge/pressreleases/oscar-komponist-james-horner-i-samarbeid-med-norsk-stjernesoeskenpar-1131423

So does this French DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON article:

http://www.clubdeutschegrammophon.com/albums/james-horner-pas/

And strangely, a release date of May the 22nd is given here:

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/pas-de-deux/9200000041282101/

• 3 weeks later...