tenuto sign

Swordfish392

You can see the tenuto sign pretty often in scores, but I'm quite confused on how to interpret it...

From what I've heard there are the folowing interpretations when there's a tenuto sign:

1.play the note sligthly accentuatet

2.play the note completely sustained at all costs, or even longer than the actually note value is (make use of rubato)

3.play the note like portato/non legato

(also it seems like they are using tenuto for single sustained notes, for example between two staccato notes)

So which option is the most usual in your opinion? I'm especialy confused couse 2 and 3 are two completetly different things...

Let's take this score for example, how would you play the tenuto notes on the first page?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0h74cx (score was downloadable from official page, so it should be allright to post it on here)

This is based on the way that I was taught, and have had reinforced over 20 years of play:

Wikipedia calls this symbol tenuto:

Music-tenuto.png

The way I learned how to play that style was softly without noticeable articulation between notes, and to keep them sustained for their full value. Three adjacent quarter notes played with the "tenuto" symbol above would have a slight separation between them, but not long enough to take a breath, and not a loud noticeable separation like a staccato or accent. Without separation, the notes would be slurred, and if the three quarter notes were the same note, they would sound the same as a dotted half note (three beat note), which is not the desired effect.

However, the symbol above that Wikipedia calls tenuto, I learned as legato, and still hear it called as such. What Wikipedia calls legato, I learned as slur, which means no separation:

Music-legato.png

Tenuto is also shown as ten. above a note, which means the conductor may, at his discretion, hold that note for a tad longer than the as written length before moving onto the next bar. Not as long as a fermata, but noticeable, which means watch before the next downbeat is given.

The tenuto is marked on the second beat of your example, which is normally an unaccented beat. So it would seem the orchestrator wants the first note emphasized to almost sound like a syncopation (considering the rhythmic "anatomy" of the 4/4 metre), to sound slightly interruptive with authority and decisiveness, but not accented. It hasn't anything to do with rubato. I agree with you though, tenuto notation is a tricky concept! Hope you figure it out :)

The tenuto sign has become almost the equivalent of the semicolon in the world of written music, meaning we all feel it has a function, yet precicely what that function is, tends to be a matter of personal preference.

To me, it has to do with weight; I employ the sign when I wish to add prominence and importance to a note, yet not blatantly or loudly, the way a marcato sign can imply.

If I wish for a tenuto-marked note to be held longer (though still not quite the "length" of a fermata), I will add "ten." above the sign.

Slurred tenuto has to do with a slight separation between given notes, yet not quite so detached as a slurred staccato would perhaps indicate.

The tenuto sign has become almost the equivalent of the semicolon in the world of written music, meaning we all feel it has a function, yet precicely what that function is, tends to be a matter of personal preference.

To me, it has to do with weight; I employ the sign when I wish to add prominence and importance to a note, yet not blatantly or loudly, the way a marcato sign can imply.

If I wish for a tenuto-marked note to be held longer (though still not quite the "length" of a fermata), I will add "ten." above the sign.

Slurred tenuto has to do with a slight separation between given notes, yet not quite so detached as a slurred staccato would perhaps indicate.

This!

Well said Marcus! You covered everything!

Tenuto is a sign used first for note value, it essentially means hold and it means to hold the notes full value. In music that has a slow tempo

the tenuto marking can be used to emphasize a note. Quasi accent if you will. I teach my students to lean into a note but not a full accent. A tenuto

can be written under a slur marking which I think the last poster was talking about. This means legato tongue. You can also use a tentuo marking

with a dot over it which also means legato with a touch of space between the notes.

DHP

\@()