Freddie Highmore to star as Norman Bates in "Psycho" prequel; Thoughts?

chuck

freddie_highmore_vera_farmiga.jpg

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory's Freddie Highmore has been tapped to co-star as a young Norman Bates in the network's Psycho prequel Bates Motel, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

As first reported by TV Guide, Highmore will play the character made famous by Anthony Perkins in the 1960 Alfred Hitchcock feature.

Highmore, whose credits also include Finding Neverland, August Rush and the lead role as Charlie in Tim Burton's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, joins the previously cast Vera Farmiga, who will play his mother Norma.

From Lost's Carlton Cuse and Friday Night Lights' Kerry Ehrin, Bates Motel will explore Norman's relationship with his mother, Norma and offer a look at his backstory that helped forge the infamous serial killer.

"We are incredibly excited to start production on Bates Motel. We think our take on the Bates family will both be surprising and subvert expectations. We can't wait for people to check in," Cuse told The Hollywood Reporter this week of his take on the famed thriller.

A&E will promote Bates, which bypassed the traditional pilot stage and was picked up straight to series, withteaser art appearing on the back cover of the programs for this month's Creative Arts and Primetime Emmy Awards.

Highmore is repped by ARG and Kuranda Management. The series will debut next year.

This marks the US series debut for Highmore, who also toplined the feature The Spiderwick Chronicles.

bates_motel_exclusive.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already did it and it was awesome. Psycho IV: The Beginning. Henry Thomas as young Norman Bates being dressed in girl's clothes by Olivia Hussey, sniffing underwear and getting a chubby while cuddling with Mother. They filmed it at Universal Studios Florida and I was able to see the house many times before they removed it.

That's IV. The original Psycho is a work of art. IV was, I believe, made for TV and then re-edited for video release. For what it is, it's pretty decent.

I really wish they would just leave this material alone, but I'll admit to being somewhat curious.

Psycho is one of my favorite films so I will check it out. I'm a fan of Psycho II and I have a soft spot for IV if only because they did a good job of explaining Norman's insanity in my opinion. Hopefully this will bring some interesting stuff to the table.

A prequel to Psycho?

How long before there will be a prequel to Ben-Hur? Or The Ten Commandments?

Hey give it time, they're doing one for "The Wizard of Oz" already.

I bet Danny Elfman will do the score?

Btw, not interested. The first Psycho was the real thing, there's no need for prequels or remakes.

Psycho is a great film. The sequel is actually pretty entertaining and hilariously bizarre for what it is. You can see it and not feel raped. III is skippable. IV: see reaction to II.

TV Scoop: Nicola Peltz (THE LAST AIRBENDER) is the latest to join the cast of A&E's upcoming series, BATES MOTEL, a prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's PSYCHO. The actress will will play Bradley Kenner, a girl Norman Bates (Freddie Highmore) takes a liking to at school who's described as bright and effortlessly sexy with a depth that makes her seem older than she really is. Olivia Cooke has also joined the cast as Emma, a classmate of Norman's with a penchant for adventure despite having a medical condition that requires her to roll a portable oxygen tank along with her.

Both Highmore and Max Thieriot (HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET) signed on to the project last week (the duo will be playing brothers) with Vera Farmiga (SAFE HOUSE) set to star as Norma Louise Bates, the mother of the horror icon. Universal Television will produce the series for A&E Network which has a script in place by Anthony Cipriano. No premiere date has been set but stay tuned.

Synopsis: From executive producers Carlton Cuse ("LOST") and Kerry Ehrin ("FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS") BATES MOTEL gives viewers an intimate understanding of how Norman Bates' psyche developed from his childhood through his teen years. Fans will have access to the dark, twisted backstory and learn first hand how his mother, Norma, and her love damaged Norman, helped forge the most well-known serial killing motel owner in history. - The Hollywood Reporter

483004_421434054579931_459848050_n.jpg

Theoretically, it could be good. It probably won't be, although Vera Farmiga's presence is at least a step in the right direction. I can't see how it could possibly work as on ongoing series, though; one season, two at maximum.