Top 5 Most Influential Albums

Koray Savas

I may cheat here and go beyond five, but right now (under the influence of Silvestri wine) it seems like a good number for the types of albums I'm thinking about.

I'm not talking about your favorite albums (although they could overlap) or what you think is particularly the best album by an artist, but the ones that were most influential on your life. Similar to how Miguel treats The Accidental Tourist, or how Jay treats Mumford & Sons' Sigh No More. I'm talking about albums that helped you get through a time in which you ended up better off. Or hell, maybe you're still in that rut; I feel like I'm somewhere in between those two places.

I'll refrain from posting my list at the moment, because... well, I haven't finalized it yet. I do have a good 3 or so picked already, as I was thinking about this thread a couple days ago. But yeah, fire away, and it's not restricted to film scores or non-film score albums. It's whatever that affected you the most.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your information, all these albums fall into the past 7 months, while the following album isn't really near what I would consider one of my favorites, but yeah.

5. X&Y by Coldplay

coldplay_xy.jpg

I started listening to Coldplay because of a particular person. Well, I had heard of them before and liked a handful of their songs, but was never familiar with their discography until recently. Some may remember when I posted about them in the rock and pop thread, or maybe just Alice and Jay. Either way, X&Y reached me in a very particular way with its lyrics about loss and longing. "Square One," "What If," "Fix You," and "Swallowed In The Sea" in particular resounded with the emotions I was feeling at the time, and am still feeling the aftershocks of now. I listened to this album a good 30 times in the span of a month or so.

4. Two Shoes by The Cat Empire

ScreenShot2012-09-15at111453PM.png

As mentioned in my Top 10 Favorite Musical Artists thread, Two Shoes is inarguably one of my favorite albums of all time. This helped me out back in 2010, but I still listen to it fondly on a regular basis. While the previous album and the following albums worked with me as a whole, in this case it was more or less "Miserere." I played this song on a loop I don't know how many times. Driving to work, driving home from work, when I got home from work. The album as a whole is wonderful musically, but this song in particular is just sublime. With its minimalistic beginning and resounding end, how it builds from a quiet whisper and a boy soprano to a choric cheer with "Long live living if living can be this." The wind instruments and the bass line towards the end get to me every time, and how it boils back down to its piano and 'heartbeat' as it plays out always brought me to tears. This album will stay with me for the rest of my life.

3. Hometowns by The Rural Alberta Advantage

the_RAA-hometowns.jpg

My friend played me some RAA awhile back and I instantly loved them, but only recently did I purchase their two albums and rediscover them on my own terms. Hometowns is their debut, and you'll read (or not) about their follow-up Departing in the next installment of this list. I wanted to amend my Top 10 Musical Artists list and do a Top 15, including this band among the extra entries, but the write-up would be as similar as it will be here. To put it simply, the RAA embodies love, life, loss, death, pain, and yearning in 37 minutes and 26 seconds. A trio, Nils Edenloff headlines on acoustic guitar and vocals (also writing the lyrics), with Paul Banwatt implementing his brilliant drumming into the mix, and with Amy Cole providing back up percussion and vocals. The band is nothing short of amazing, to my ears. Edenloff's lyricism is heartbreakingly gorgeous, written from personal experience. The band is derived from Alberta, a province in Canada, and the music is very much set in their hometown, hence the title of the album. The hollow and tin instrumentation and swooning vocals form to create a sound unlike any other I've heard. Everything from the stories being told to the mixing of the actual music speaks lengths about how this album affects me. Without a doubt I've listened to this over 50 times in the past couple months. My friend, the one who introduced me to them, even commented on it. It would be on whenever he'd jump in my car. "Man you're really digging them." I reply, "I'll stop listening when it stops being interesting." I get something new out of each playthrough. The music and lyricism is very morbid, very organic (in a physical sense, talk about hearts beating and blood pumping are ubiquitous) and incredibly powerful. Banwatt's drumming is insanely impressive in the technique it requires, but unbelievably relentless in its emotion.

"There's a fire in my chest, it will extinguish when you're dead." Lyric of the album.

2. Departing by The Rural Alberta Advantage

RAR+Departing.jpg

The RAA's follow-up to Hometowns. At first I classified their debut as downbeat and this album as upbeat, but after an inordinate amount of playthroughs, I quickly realized how wrong I was. Initially I was more fixated on the instrumentation rather than the lyrics at play here. It's very much in the same vein as their previous album (anticipate more beating hearts and blood), but there's a new type of sadness at work here. As depicted in the title, there's a sense of moving on, but still vividly remembering the pain experienced, almost reliving it through these songs. Things are more upbeat, as the music represents moving on to a certain extent, but its still filled to the brim with that morbid depression due to loss and longing.

"And if I fly away to the coast, Your face it haunts me more than most. / And if I ever hold you again, I'll hold you tight enough to crush your veins. / And you will die and become a ghost, And haunt me 'til my pulse also slows." Lyric of the album.

"Tornado '87" is my favorite off the album. A tour de force of loss and yearning, it chronicles the tornado that took 27 lives in Edmonton, Alberta in 1987, which the band members lived through.

"Oh, lord I lost you, I held you tight / Oh, I, And The back sky will come for us tonight / And our heart's shaking in the empty night, / Oh, I, Let's lie down in the basement tonight, / Oh..."

And later, "Black sky comes to take you from me / I let you know that I hold you / I let you die, I let you die, / I let you die and I hold you / Black sky comes, black sky comes, black sky comes and I hold you."

On the whole, this album and their previous one have been sustaining me this past month. This music, which is nothing more than music, has such a profound effect on me that I don't even understand it. When Amy Cole chimes in with her yell on this lyric from "Stamp..."

"And hold on lover, you'll / Find another, but / I don't need you, / and I won't need to." Sublime.

1. Everything Goes Numb by Streetlight Manifesto

VR209.jpg

My bottle of Silvestri wine is empty, so my drunken ramblings will (un)fortunately come to an end. Will update this post later I feel like it when I'm sober. Time to play some video games until I pass out.

silvestri wine? sounds almost as awesome as the lasseter family wines.

perhaps not my top 5 of all time but of the last 1-2 years:

joshua_tree.jpgOnly-By-The-Night.jpg

61KQCTBCJ5L._SL500_AA300_.jpgiso-A5983-1292422290.jpg

L3586806.jpg

well, X&Y might actually be my most listened and most influential album of all time. basically it's just been a rock during all the toughest times of my life. there are a few songs I really try to avoid listening to these days..."fix you", for example... too many memories, haha.

cd-cover.jpgmichael_jackson_dangerous.jpg

As long as we're not exactly talking John Williams, these are among my very favorites. They have helped guide me. 1991 was a hell of a year.

Innuendo is like the greatest album of all time.

Can't think of any film score albums that really got me through any rough times in my life, or anything like that. The biggest influence film score albums have had on me was the general discovery of listening to Star Wars music outside of the films leading me to other John Williams music leading me to other film score music which changed my musical direction in life and led me to here where I have made so many connections I never would have otherwise. So the 1994 Star Wars Anthology fits the bill in that sense.

But yea, i went through the worst breakup of my life in late 2010, and the two albums that got me through it where Mumford and Sons' Sigh No More and Michael Franti and Spearhead's The Sound Of Sunshine

mumfordsonscover.jpg

michaelfranti2.jpg

The former I would play when I was dwelling in my pity and needed to cry and release. Most songs feature lyrical content about relationships and certain lines would get me every time. I would literally be driving to work, singing along at the top of my lungs crying my eyes out at the worst of it.

The latter I would listen to when I needed to be cheered up, as the entire record is full of positive energy and lyrically is about living life to its fullest and not letting moments slip away. Really got me through this time, kept a positive light inside me the whole way through.

Will never be able to listen to either record the same again as I did before the breakup, they are forever tied to that event.

PS Funnily enough, it was the girl I broke up with that turned me on to Michael Franti in the first place, and specifically the song Hey Hey Hey from it. Check it out, it even has some nice violins at the end :)

The albums:

Lotr fotr. Forever tied to JWFan

Liquid Mind (forget the number). Forever tied to my meditation at the same timeframe of my job reduction and my dads death.

Adele 21. Forever tied to my divorce. Will never be able to listen to this again. I hope someday I will but not likely.

Two more coming when I'm more coherent and not on drugs. Along with better writeups

The one album which changed my life 12 years ago :

61bEvqm%2BeaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just listened to that today while endlessly coding away at work! Great stuff! Dream Theater's peak if you ask me (Not that it's better than Images and Words, but nothing they've done since is better)

Adele 21. Forever tied to my divorce. Will never be able to listen to this again. I hope someday I will but not likely.

Oh yea I forgot, Someone Like You was another one that made me cry every time when going through the breakup. Now I just can't stand to listen to that song, though that's because it became a MASSIVELY OVERPLAYED radio hit

The big problem was that I share an office with 2 other people, one of whom has a radio going all day long playing some local FM pop/easy listening type station. So I literally heard Someone Like You I dunno, 3-4 times a day, every day, for months and months and months while it was at the peak of its hit-dome. Terrible. Before then, I had been considering it one of the best songs ever made, now I just can't stand it.

You have to have gone through what she is singing about for it to really have an impact on you, I think.

You guys are still young, you'll have some hard heartbreak in your futures :P

OK, so these are albums which definitely had a strong influence on my life, maybe mostly because of having listened to them so many times! :D

- Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory

- John Williams - Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

- Miles Davis - Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew

- The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, White Album and Abbey Road

- Howard Shore - The Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings (all three)

- Richard Strauss - Eine Alpensifonie (Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker recording)

- Trevor Jones - Cliffhanger

- Bill Conti - For Your Eyes Only

- Morten Lauridsen - Lux aeterna

- John Rutter - Mass of the Children

- James Horner - Aliens

- Jerry Goldsmith - Alien

- David Maslanka - Symphony No. 5

- Ennio Morricone - The Thing

- Gustav Holst - The Planets

- Johan de Meij - Symphony No. 1 'The Lord of the Rings'

- Ludwing van Beethoven - Symphony No. 7

- John Williams - Superman

- Richard Bellis - Stephen King's IT

- Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy

It's absolutely impossible to pick just five! :P

Rubber Souls by the Beatles,

Maglor John wrote a score for Star Wars. The original album, the one that influenced as the others was Star Wars.

Isn't Queen a band for Queers, Richard?

Alex is so funny. I've noticed that so often homophobes such as he often end up with the most flamming of children.

Queen = greatest rock band of all time.

Hot Space, though? Interesting. Widely considered their worst album.

Yes, except for Under Pressure, I can barely listen to it.

News of the World, on the other hand, is one of their best. And not just because of We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions (I'm not that big a fan of either).

So if we get homophobic towards Queen, wouldn't we also have to feel the same prejudice towards Elton John, David Bowie, and any other act who was either gay or you were never quite sure about?

Bullshit. They all wrote great music and defined generations of glam rock with ostentatious live shows, which have melted into the vast melting pot of classic rock of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

~*~

Unfortunately, many bands that moved from the 70s into the 80s changed their MO from making albums to merely making radio (and MTV) friendly hit singles. I know that Genesis and Chicago underwent this change. I don't think Pink Floyd consciously did, but it just happened to happen. It was the nature of the industry to remain profitable. Rush probably stayed as an album band, they just happened to have a lot of hit singles. I don't know Queen's specific discography outside of their greatest hits sets.

Unfortunately, many bands that moved from the 70s into the 80s changed their MO from making albums to merely making radio (and MTV) friendly hit singles. I know that Genesis and Chicago underwent this change. I don't think Pink Floyd consciously did, but it just happened to happen. It was the nature of the industry to remain profitable. Rush probably stayed as an album band, they just happened to have a lot of hit singles. I don't know Queen's specific discography outside of their greatest hits sets.

Hot Space is certainly the clearest case of them going with the times more than with their own style, for whatever reason. But in general, they show a strong stylistic progression through their entire discography. From what I've seen, they've often been criticised for their overblown operatic sound during the 80s, but that's pretty much what made them Queen in the first place, and they were right to stick to it.

I understand very well. I just wanted to assure you that Bowie isn't gay. You weren't sure. Now you are.

Oh yes, I don't know what I'd do without you in my life. I am so blessed to have a friend like you here on this website keeping my mind clear of any distractions that might prevent me from leading a more meaningful and error-free life.

What can I say, Joey, I'm not into hit parade music. It's not why I tend to listen to when I put on a CD.

so you don't listen to any hit songs? are they lesser because they are popular and hits?

It takes more effort to like something that people hate than it does to like something that everyone loves, and the more effort that an Elite displays in their likes, the more praise and adoration and oohs and ahs from the lesser apes the Elite can expect his minions to offer.

What can I say, Joey, I'm not into hit parade music. It's not why I tend to listen to when I put on a CD.

so you don't listen to any hit songs? are they lesser because they are popular and hits?

No, it's because I don't like what I'm hearing. Today, most of them are silly kids tunes with a beat. For good hit parade music, I have to go back to the '70s when music was more diverse and overall a lot more musical. Also, it was more about the music and less about the stars and lifestyle. Some of those hits that I liked where by Queen (the early period) but I didn't really like their albums. I hope that's okay for you.

actually you're statement Alex is pretty much my thoughts. I listen to talk or sports radio so I'm pretty much out of tune with popular music, but every now and then I'll hear something I like. I like some Queen hits, and some non hits but as a whole I didn't care for the albums. the joy of today is I can take the songs I like and put them on an mp3 player or I can make a cd that I listen too.

If I listen to music I listen the the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Not much of the 90's, 00's and the Teens(10's) appeals to me.

I haven't bought a singers music cd in years.

Innuendo is a masterpiece beginning to end. Freddie Mercury was on his way out, and the songs reflect that at points. In Innuendo itself, after a Spanish guitar interlude, he exclaims "if there's a reason to live or die...ha!" The band was in on it and now we are too. He is rocking until the end and the entire album is loaded with some of his greatest vocals ever as they go out with a bang. There's a pretty eclectic mix of songs. Heavier rock, zany quirky Queen and emotional ballads. It's pure Queen and I think it was considered a return to form after their 80s albums.

Harry+Potter+and+the+Sorcerers+Stone+Soundtrack+OMGZWENEVERHANGOUTLETSKEEPITTH.jpg

John Williams - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: First album I ever bought, at the age of 12. This was the start of my musical odyssey, and here I am 11 years later working as a professional composer and musician. Can't get more influential than that.

diorama.jpg

Silverchair - Diorama: Having exclusively listened to film scores for the formative years of my teens, I was fairly snobbish to anything else going on. My sister recommended this one to me as she thought I'd love the whimsical orchestrations that feature in many of the tracks. I did, but what I loved more was the discovery of the singer-songwriter, and how much they can speak to an audience. As I currently write and polish my own solo set of songs, I still go back to this one which started a different chapter in my life.

head-hunters-a.jpg

Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters: After studying classical piano for a few years I decided it wasn't for me anymore. On hearing this beauty and being introduced to Herbie Hancock, improvisation and the general jazz world, my compositional and playing style changed dramatically. Still love funking it out with this one.

beethovenlatequartets_tokyoquartet_sjh.jpg

Beethoven/Tokyo String Quartet - The 'Late' Quartets: Beethoven's late quartets were a revelation for me. I wasn't very familiar with them until hearing this. This album breathed life into my personal concepts of counterpoint which came from too many years of learning the how but not the why. Hearing the outstanding Tokyo Quartet's intense and passionate interpretation of - in my opinion - Beethoven's finest compositions was a huge moment. I still listen to the "Grand Fugue" regularly.

menomena_friend_and_foe.gif

Menomena - Friend and Foe: This one came at a huge junction in my life, just as I joined an indie alternative/pop band with some friends. Two years later, we're putting the finishing touches on our very first (hopefully of many) independently produced album. My listening style and taste became a lot broader, and I was able to hear music beyond its harmonic components and really explore the production side of things.

e6zuw5.jpg

It wasn't influential, as such. It '

' my life. Both my Dad and I would say that.

:thumbup:

Agreed!!!!! This is his most innocent, and child-like record, and it's an absolute gem to listen to.

Have you heard either the new 2010, or the 5.1 mixes? They are both excellent.

Isn't Queen a band for Queers, Richard?

You may think that, Alex; I, on the other hand, couldn't possibly comment...

Have you heard either the new 2010, or the 5.1 mixes? They are both excellent.

Only bits and pieces on YouTube. But the previously 'lost alternative'section of Ommadawn encapsulated the quirkiness of Oldfield. :lol2:

I can see where the 'Maggie Thatcher' final section of his album Amarok originated from, listening to that one.

[media=]