Seven Years in Tibet (the track) vs. Hymn to the Fallen

Josh500

Seven Years in Tibet (the track) vs. Hymn to the Fallen  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you personally like more?

• Seven Years in Tibet (the track)
    • Hymn to the Fallen

In your opinion, which track is better? Meaning, which moves you more, which do you think is a more creative, original composition, which do you listen to more, which does fit the theme of the respective movie better, etc.?

To be honest, I couldn't decide. If forced to make a decision, I will probably choose HTTF, partly because I love the movie Saving Private Ryan more. But these are both classic dramatic JW masterpieces, if you ask me...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that should be noted is that the second part of SYIT is (comparatively) not as dramatic and memorable as the first part, or HTTF.

Still, that's part of the piece, and it seems to tell the whole story... Harrer's journey, if you will.

Both are awesome. Couldn't decide either. Beautiful stuff from Williams' late 90's output.

Indeed! I am hoping for something (almost) as powerful for Lincoln.... :)

Actually Seven Years in Tibet piece explores the two main thematic ideas of the score, the dramatic partly tragic and emotional theme for Heinrich Harrer and his journey and the calm, meditative and serene theme for Tibet/Dalai Lama and as you say Josh almost tells the story of the film in the running time of the suite.

And I can't decide either. Both are wonderful.

Both breathtaking pieces belonging to incredibly boring scores.

I find "Regaining a Son" and "Omaha Beach" almost equally interesting and impressive, in a more quiet way.

I vote Hymn to the Fallen. The softer sections, the brass soli inparticular are what really get me. I love that brass soli with those rich chords ringing out.

I vote Hymn to the Fallen. The softer sections, the brass soli inparticular are what really get me. I love that brass soli with those rich chords ringing out.

I agree. Good choice!

I vote Seven Years in Tibet. Both cues are great pieces of music. But I love the majestic, sweeping melodramatic writing of the former more.

Seems like "Seven Years in Tibet" is the winner!

Maybe I should have added "Theme from Angela's Ashes" here as well, but I have a feeling that this doesn't quite reach the level of these 2 masterpieces (although TFAA is amazing, as well, of course).

I agree, that part is really great and sincere. The part that slightly bothers me is when Williams starts to Spielberg it up at the end (Give me more! More! More! And bigger!). It's sounds too grand, almost glamorous and the arrangement is too much Williams opening his toolbox again.

Alex

I agree, that part is really great and sincere. The part that slightly bothers me is when Williams starts to Spielberg it up at the end (Give me more! More! More! And bigger!). It's sounds too grand, almost glamorous and the arrangement is too much Williams opening his toolbox again.

Alex

It gets too close to Morricone in those moments, too.

Alex

Yeah, the climax at the very end (right before it gets quiet again) seems to be slightly over the top, I have to agree. That was my first impression too.

But you get used to it and that's really nitpicking, IMO. In every other respect, this piece is as close to perfect as you can get.

I see it as a case of Williams abandoning his film score hat, and just saying, 'to hell with it', and really belting out at the end.

I prefer Tibet overall. It's a much more varied piece, and although I don't think any of it reaches the emotion of 2:45 onwards in Hymn, I find it functions more as an honest piece of music than Hymn, which is dripping with patriotism and sugar.

I don't think any of it reaches the emotion of 2:45 onwards in Hymn

You know, I couldn't agree with you more there. I love how this passage is repeated at 3:02, this time with soft pizzicato strings accompanying the strings, as well as the melancholy trumpet fanfare (almost a cry) halfway through it. Brilliant.

But I don't agree with you and some others who call this piece, or parts of it, sugary or sappy. It's very emotional, yes, but never too over the top. But then, some people call any direct expression of honest and deep emotion sappy... so it doesn't surprise me.

Seems like "Seven Years in Tibet" is the winner!

Maybe I should have added "Theme from Angela's Ashes" here as well, but I have a feeling that this doesn't quite reach the level of these 2 masterpieces (although TFAA is amazing, as well, of course).

I can't decide wich one I prefer... but had you included "Angela's Ashes" to the mix, then I would have a winner :P

Not saying it is better than the two others, just that I like it best!

any direct expression of honest and deep emotion is sappy...

I honestly and deeply hate evil people.

Aww, that's so sappy...

:lol: Good one!

I can't decide wich one I prefer... but had you included "Angela's Ashes" to the mix, then I would have a winner :P

Really?

Hmmm, I gotta say, on the AA soundtrack, my favorite piece is "Angela's Prayer." I think that should have been the main theme... :)

I love the whole score so much... and even more with the narration (I know I'm basically alone on that one), that beats almost anything else, at least to me.

Really?

Hmmm, I gotta say, on the AA soundtrack, my favorite piece is "Angela's Prayer." I think that should have been the main theme... :)

Looks like you put your new content inside your quote of Josh's post

By the way, what's your pick, Jason?

I love the whole score so much... and even more with the narration (I know I'm basically alone on that one), that beats almost anything else, at least to me.

Yeah, I understand what you mean.

I have both versions, actually: the Sony Classical and the Decca versions. So I really don't mind the narration, because I can to listen to the one without anytime... Without the Decca version, yeah, I'd've been pretty angry at Sony, though.

I don't think any of it reaches the emotion of 2:45 onwards in Hymn

You know, I couldn't agree with you more there. I love how this passage is repeated at 3:02, this time with soft pizzicato strings accompanying the strings, as well as the melancholy trumpet fanfare (almost a cry) halfway through it. Brilliant.

But I don't agree with you and some others who call this piece, or parts of it, sugary or sappy. It's very emotional, yes, but never too over the top. But then, some people call any direct expression of honest and deep emotion sappy... so it doesn't surprise me.

I find the sheer volume of the choir overbearing towards the end - I think that's my main problem with the piece.

Yes, the high note that the choir sings is too loud too. It's like 'someone' pushed the volume fader two notches at that point because it still needed to be 'bigger'.

By far, Seven Years in Tibet. The Hymn to the Fallen was never one of my favorite pieces. In fact, I prefer the other theme from Private Ryan. It's a bit subtler, ultimately more effective for me. Hymn is also a very...Williamsy Americana-ish piece? Just imagine people singing "America!" during it. Tibet is neat exotic romantic Williams.

I shall never forget my first viewing of Saving Private Ryan when the shock caused by this masterpiece only hit home when the end credits - and with them Hymn to the Fallen - started rolling, and that was when the tears finally rolled down my cheeks. So it's pretty evident which piece gets my vote.

I shall never forget my first viewing of Saving Private Ryan when the shock caused by this masterpiece only hit home when the end credits - and with them Hymn to the Fallen - started rolling, and that was when the tears finally rolled down my cheeks. So it's pretty evident which piece gets my vote.

:thumbup:

Agreed.

They are both masterpieces, but I very slightly prefer HTTF, too.

Both pieces are too predictably melodic and staidly orchestral for my taste. I prefer the subtle, sophisticated sound design of Cliff Martinez.

An interesting comment. "The Limey", "Drive", and "Solaris" are excellent, and "Traffic" is, quite simply, one of my favourite film scores ever.

I do think that there is room in the marketplace for both types of music, though.

As to the poll: "Hymn To The Fallen" beats "7YIT" by a country mile (how long is that, anyway?), but I do like both "Approaching The Summit", and "Wade's Death".